PDA

View Full Version : Can social anxiety stem from situational anxiety?

quallagirl
12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
I am currently looking for another job. I have worked in retail for years. Now, I cringe at the thought of getting a job in sales or customer service. I feel like I could have had a job already if it wasn't for my anxiety.

The last job I had in customer service was at a hotel. Well, I was only there for 3 weeks. I messed up on an transaction and had a nervous break down when I got home. Every since then, I decided to never work in that field again. I never really liked being around alot of people but now, it has gotten worse. I feel uneasy everytime I leave the house to face the public. I would prefer to work at home away from people. Can general or situational anxiety trigger this?

I am struggling with the bills because of my anxiety. Right now I am seeing a therapist. She has helped me some and I am even getting my resume together. I just fear when the time comes to actually send them out. Anyone else not working because of the social anxiety?

danstelter
01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
I am working, and I attempted to work despite social anxiety. However, it was really difficult, to say the least. What I found for me was that I was in the wrong profession, which led to a large part of my anxiety. I have switched professions from computers to socia work and am happier than ever before. I do not regret the decision one bit. I think that seeing a therapist is a superb idea! The therapist will certainly help you to figure out how to handle your situation.

My analysis of your situation is that you failed at a task and therefore feel like a failure, which you believe that everyone is thinking about you. I have not heard of a case like this per se, but it is very sensible and plausible. I would try working in some other customer service jobs because it doesn't sound like you have had a lot of experience in this field. If job after job yields you misery, then most likely you are in the wrong profession. While it may be scary, switching professions could be the best thing you ever did for yourself, if that is what you choose to do. That's my 2 cents, let me know if I can be of further help.

Mosel
01-16-2009, 01:34 PM
This post caught my attention as I too am having some real anxiety relating to employment. Up to the point of sometimes having debilitating panic attacks. With some therapy here, introspective thinking there, I've determined that I just have specific situations that illicit fear. As long as I avoid those specific situations I find that my general apprehensions about being in public disappear.

From what I've read about SA, one can experience any number of different situational/environmental anxieties and thusly be considered as having SA. I think it takes repeated exposure and the belief that the situation is unavoidable to reach chronic SA.

So quallagirl, give yourself a break. I think you're being a little too hard on yourself and I'll bet that has a lot to do with your being a kind, warm hearted and caring person.

quallagirl
01-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Thank you for all of your replies. I plan on going into a different profession that doesn't deal with alot of people. I am working on getting my massage therapy liscense as well.

Tonya