PDA

View Full Version : seeking some help on anxiety

romac1991
12-19-2008, 09:19 AM
hey, i've been looking for a place like this for a while and this seems good.
So i guess I'll just get right to it. I am a healthy 17 year old teen, and have had no history of anxiety or panic attacks. Though on reflection, i'd say my personality is probably prone to it, as i worry about things alot.
A couple weeks ago I had alot of caffeine, nothing new, i ussually do. the following day i felt a lump in my throat. i went outside, a little worried, it got worse. i drove my friend home, on the way home i began to get dizzy. my head and arms felt numb. my heart began furiously beating and i called my girlfriend as i was getting very scared. i thought i was going to pass out. as i reached my house i frantically told my mom. she put me on the couch and what ensued was probably an hour or so i've my heart beating very very very fast, feeling dizzy, and most of all, i was afraid for my life. i actually thought i was dying and i felt so helpless, it was horrible. that was about 3 weeks ago. it was worse a week or two ago, i was a wreck. as of now my symptoms are a tension headache (which has mostly diminished in the last day or so. and i haven't even had any medicine today as i have ussually been medicating with motrin and tylenol daily.), cold hands and feet (as of right now they feel just slightly sweaty), slightly blurred vision, general tiredness throughout the day, not extreme though, and most frighteneing and unpleasant of all, is the surreal/unreal feelings of reality i get. it's the feeling i would get after staying up for almost two days.
i can go to bed most times fine, and ussually sleep for about 8 or so hours, however i've found that i ALWAYS wake up at the same time at 6-7, then afterwards can't go back to sleep. my dad has said it's possible that even though i'm sleeping i may not be getting rest due to underlying anxiety, who knows though.
i've seen a general doctor a couple times over the past two weeks, mostly to address the probably unlikely fears i had about my health. i thought my chest pains were heart disease, neck pains were thyroid problems, head pressure was brain tumors, etc. they took a blood test, vitals, etc, turns out i'm fine and it looks like i had anxiety.
He referred me to a behavioral counselor who i've seen several times and have a follow up with just before christmas.
he gave me five things to do, which i've been following for the past week
1. eat 3 meals plus snacks, try to eat healthy
2. practice positive self statements, I'm okay, i'm fine, etc
3. practice deep breathing relaxation techniques 10-12 times a day
4. continue distraction activities. Which include for me, playing video games, hanging out with my girlfriend, or going to the gym.
5. Exercise more often. (which i am, i've been twice this week and i'm going again today. I run for about 15-20 minutes, do some weights, then finish it off with a jog or long walk. i'm pretty exhausted by the end and usually helps with falling asleep.)
i've been doing these things and i have a follow up with him just before christmas. i do believe i can overcome this and my attitude is overall positive. though a few times i came to tears over my frustration and just wanting to be normal again, though that doesn't last long.
as of now, 3 weeks after my panic attack the main symptoms me are my clammy hands and feet, a pressure in my upper nose/eye area( could be sinus, i've had pains in my neck and joints, (but it may be pains from playing video games for too long as i spend ALOT of time doing that recently, or it may be soreness from the shock of working out all of a sudden, either way the only reason i'm concerned is i read something on some website about some disease that included aching joints. but it is barely there, and i'm probably making it worse by worrying) i have had sniffles almost constantly the whole time that come and go), my headache, which as of right now is barely noticable or not there at all, my slight tiredness, and mostly the overall feeling i have of surrealness sometimes. I have made an effort to not look too far into thinking about reality and that helps a bit. I am really set and focused on getting over this and i just figured this kind of place would help.

so basically what I'm asking is, does all of these things that I have explained sound like a good old case of anxiety?

My anxiety is not extreme I believe, and I have not had another massive panic attack since, so is it likely that I can overcome this if i keep at it and follow the counselors directions?

and if so, is my dad right in that if i just keep at it and focus, i can get over this slowly in time?

and are there any other tips/stories that people can share to help me?
to anybody that helps me: it is deeply and truthfully appreciated, as this is one of the more difficult things i have experienced in my short 17 years.

sorry about the length too, this is basically the first time and place i have completely vented everything.
thanks, and hope to hear from some people

danstelter
12-19-2008, 12:03 PM
But the good news is that you're doing all the right things and will be fine in the long run. The five things your behavioral counselor assigned you to do are all excellent. It is possible for any mental health condition to affect our physical health, and it sounds like that is what your worrying is doing. The one suggestion I have is that when you are tempted to think that a headache is a brain tumor is to instead think "I just saw my doctor for a check-up and everything is fine." Replace your worried thinking with positive, confident thinking. You should feel better physically a little bit more each month; it is difficult to really estimate how long this condition could last, but just know that you will be fine if you keep doing what you are doing.

northstar
12-19-2008, 12:53 PM
hi romac let me tell you first off that your attitude is so positive are you are so willing to make all these great changes that i have absolutely no doubt that if you keep on track with all these things you will be fine! keep strong, you'll work your way through it :)

everything you're doing sounds great. it sounds to me like you're going through something similar to myself, anxiety which turned out to be related to diet and lifestyle. you probably know this by now but caffeine is a stimulant, it is a big cause of anxiety - there are even several mental health disorders that are connected to it! so if you haven't at this stage given up on it or reduced your intake of it then i suggest you do so. this means tea, coffee, sodas like coke, and also chocolate - once you're feeling stronger you should be ok to introduce these things again but only in moderation, no more large amounts of caffeine.

it's also a good idea to look at the kinds of foods you are eating - it's great that you've gotten into the pattern of healthy snacking, this will keep your blood sugars stable and keep you feeling good throughout the day. but watch out for those refined carbohydrates and sugary foods, too many of these will play around with your body's blood sugars and can add to the anxiety. so stay away from sugary foods and things like white breads, pastas and rice, biscuits and cakes, chips and crisps, pizza, sugary cereals - eat everything wholemeal like brown pastas and bread and get plenty of fruit and nuts in throughout the day. oh and try to avoid msg also, it's another irritant! like i said before, while you're getting better avoid these things as much as possible and if you want to then introduce them in small amounts again when you're feeling stronger.

waking up early and not being able to sleep suggests to me again that it may be low blood sugar - it can happen because you haven't eat all night long. you may find it helpful to have a snack as soon as you wake up like a banana or some peanut butter on wholmeal toast, it'll boost your blood sugars and may help you to sleep again. i used to have to get up and have a snack like this in the middle of the night, but it always really helped and i felt able to sleep again in no time :)

another great tip is to start taking a vitamin B complex - this means rather than taking one kind of vitamin B (there are several) find a supplment called a complex that has all of the B vitamins in it and take it with food everyday. it's very important to a healthy nervous system and will help you to sleep and start relaxing again. oh and it'll turn your urine really yellow so don't freak out when you see it lol.

all the exericse is great, it'll help you to naturally create hormones that make you feel good. just be careful that you're fuelling your body enough food to support the exercise, you'll be burning up any fuel pretty quickly and if you don't eat enough then again the blood sugar crash can come into play!

ok i think that's enough for now, you might like to read a bit more about different things you can do to help here: http://www.anxietyforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4087

i really think though that you will be fine, i'm pretty sure that first panic attack was just caffeine induced and you've been left a little shocked and stressed after it. if you keep on with all these positive things then i'm sure you'll feel again soon :)

romac1991
12-19-2008, 01:22 PM
First of all, thank you for the helpful responses danstelter and northstar.
I've definitely already decided that I do NOT want to succumb to a life full of anxiety and I will try to overcome it.
i've definitely completely cut off my caffeine consumption, i don't take mega doses of 700-800mg on weekends anymore.
i am definitely going to try the things you mentioned northstar, I'll ask my mom to buy vitamin B complex, and we have bananas so i guess i'll have more of those.
i usually have whole grain cereal in the mornings, but usually skip lunch because I'm broke, but I'll probably start bringing some granola bars to snack on.
My biggest problem is the disconnect from reality that comes from anxiety, it's frightening sometimes, but i try my hardest to not think about it, but sometimes can't help it.

Would you happen to know if anything anxiety related can cause blurred vision? because i've noticed it slightly lately.

I looked through your thread and I'm not sure if i have that low blood sugar condition, as I took a blood test for diabetes recently and it came back slightly high, (though they said nothing to worry about), but i will definitely heed the blood sugar advice.

any and all help is appreciated, i am open to anything.
i hope to talk to you guys more later on, but for now i am going to the gym
thanks again

northstar
12-19-2008, 01:50 PM
the thing about hypoglycemia is that it's hard to determine with just one blood test, because by its nature it means that your blood sugars are swinging between high and low depending on what and when you eat. so one test will only determine your blood sugars at that one time. it's a good idea not to skip lunch, it'll only make you feel worse, particularily at a time of day when you really need to refuel. not eating enough is just as bad as eating the wrong kinds of foods, i'm really bad at explaining the science of it all but again it messes with your blood sugars and creates extra chemicals like adrenaline which can lead to more anxiety, it's a big circle!

blurred vision is definitely a problem with anxiety, many people mention it. i have read that it can be connected to a panic response in the body that makes your pupils open wider to allow more light in. this can lead to blurring. if you're worried though, talk to your doctor about it, it's best to have things checked out :)

about the feeling disconnected, i can totally relate to that and lots of people with anxiety suffer from it. i read that it can be down to a lack of vitamin B, which kind of makes sense because you use up your B vitamins very quickly when you're stressed and anxious, but a lack of them can lead to even more anxiety and so once again a circle is created lol. if this is the case then the supplement should really help with it. i read this in a book called New Optimum Nutrition for the Mind by Patrick Holford - it's a great book, he deals a lot with anxiety and depression and how to treat them with diet. i only wish i had discovered it a year ago when i was in the middle of all my anxiety issues, it could have saved me a lot of trouble lol. but i learned a lot of lessons and discovered the diet connection eventually myself and now i'm doing great :)

like i said before, i have no doubt with your healthy attitude and the support that you're giving yourself and getting from your family and girlfriend that you'll be good again soon. it's great to see someone who is so eager to help themselves and willing to make the changes necessary.

02Batmobile
12-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Yes, sounds like great advice was given to you by your counselor. Practice the relaxation breathing exercises though and change your thinking patterns. Some advice from me to you: Do not read up on medical conditions on-line! Trust me, it took me a while, with counseling, to overcome some irrational fears about medical conditions that I did not have. All the symptoms you described sounds like a classic textbook definition of anxiety. It's common to feel sad about anxiety as it is an uncomfortable feeling. We all feel sadened when we go through tough times but hang in there, it'll pass!!

02Batmobile
12-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Yes, sounds like great advice was given to you by your counselor. Practice the relaxation breathing exercises though and change your thinking patterns. Some advice from me to you: Do not read up on medical conditions on-line! Trust me, it took me a while, with counseling, to overcome some irrational fears about medical conditions that I did not have. All the symptoms you described sounds like a classic textbook definition of anxiety. It's common to feel sad about anxiety as it is an uncomfortable feeling. We all feel sadened when we go through tough times but hang in there, it'll pass!!