PDA

View Full Version : KLONOPIN.

KalaMarie
12-09-2008, 02:21 AM
My boyfriend of 3 years and I broke up, my best friend said she's going to ruin my life for no reason and my mom disowned me.

My anxiety couldn't be higher, throughout the day my pulse is between 100-150. It's just always racing, doing simple things as getting up making my chest pound. I feel horrible. And I have klonopin .5mg. But I'm terrified to take it because I'm worried it's not strong strong enough and I'll get more anxious. I'm just worried my heart will speed up.

Anyone taken Klonopin and what exactly happened?

Matt_H
12-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Take the Klonopin. As long as it's prescribed, take it. It's not going to make your breathing or anxiety worse. It's a sedative, and it works amazing. Do yourself a favor, give yourself the relief you need. If you have no tolerance 0.5mg of klonopin will be just fine.

Klonopin, when taken when anxiety isn't present is very sedating. However, when your heart is racing and going through panic, the medication calms you down more by depressing your central nervous system.

Stop worrying and take it. You'll feel much better. If 0.5mg doesn't work, try 1mg

Edit: I've been on Xanax/Klonopin for 4 months now. So I have plenty of experience with the drug.

KalaMarie
12-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Take the Klonopin. As long as it's prescribed, take it. It's not going to make your breathing or anxiety worse. It's a sedative, and it works amazing. Do yourself a favor, give yourself the relief you need. If you have no tolerance 0.5mg of klonopin will be just fine.

Klonopin, when taken when anxiety isn't present is very sedating. However, when your heart is racing and going through panic, the medication calms you down more by depressing your central nervous system.

Stop worrying and take it. You'll feel much better. If 0.5mg doesn't work, try 1mg

Edit: I've been on Xanax/Klonopin for 4 months now. So I have plenty of experience with the drug.

Do you take it when your in the middle of a panic attack and your heart is racing? I took it a while back and it made me more anxious or I just don't know if the anxiety was too strong and the medication wasn't strong enough. But I felt no different, maybe no anxious either because of the medicine or my severe phobia oh medications.

Matt_H
12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I usually take it when I feel a panic attack coming, or during a full-blown panic attack. I also take it preventatively when I know I'll have strong anxiety.

To me, with klonopin you want to achieve a good balance. If you're feeling sedated, you took too much. If you still feel anxious, you haven't taken enough.

Say your anxiety is 9/10. Maybe only one dose of 0.5mg can't help you when youre anxiety is that high. Maybe the klonopin is getting 5/10. 0.5mg is not a high dose of klonopin, and if you're experiencing a lot of distress taking 2 of the tablets wouldn't hurt at all. Like I said however, if you end up taking 2-3, and feel sedated then maybe it was a little too much. It's finding that balance of being anxiety free, as well as awake.

As far as you feeling more anxious AFTER taking the klonopin, I'm going to guess it's psychological. Sometimes during panic you feel like there's no way out and you're not going to be able to come down. After taking the medication and seeing no immediate results, I can see how it could increase anxiety.

All in all, for extreme phobia/panic, Klonopin can be a life saver. Don't be afraid to use it (as directed of course). And if it stops working, talk to your doctor.

Matt

KalaMarie
12-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Does it really slow down my heart because I just need that, sometimes it's my only anxiety symptom and last night my heart was up to 200. Will klonopin really help or do I need some kind of beta blocker ?

Matt_H
12-10-2008, 04:40 PM
How old are you Kala? 200 is an alarmingly high heart rate. Klonopin will slow your breathing down. For a heart rate of 200bpm, I really doubt 0.5mg of Klonopin is going to put a dent in it. Schedule an appointment with your doctor and confirm that it isn't a respiratory or heart problem and work from there. In the meantime, I suggest slowly up'ing your klonopin dose.

I am NOT a professional. This is personal advice. I would start bumping my klonopin dose by 0.5mg until it works. If you get to 2mg and your heart is still racing I couldn't imagine it being anxiety. I wouldn't take over 2mg without a doctor's approval, though it isn't harmful. Some people are prescribed up to 4-6mg per day.

Good luck keep us updated

KalaMarie
12-10-2008, 04:57 PM
How old are you Kala? 200 is an alarmingly high heart rate. Klonopin will slow your breathing down. For a heart rate of 200bpm, I really doubt 0.5mg of Klonopin is going to put a dent in it. Schedule an appointment with your doctor and confirm that it isn't a respiratory or heart problem and work from there. In the meantime, I suggest slowly up'ing your klonopin dose. I am NOT a professional. This is personal advice. I would start bumping my klonopin dose by 0.5mg until it works. If you get to 2mg and your heart is still racing I couldn't imagine it being anxiety. I wouldn't take over 2mg without a doctor's approval, though it isn't harmful. Some people are prescribed up to 4-6mg per day. Good luck keep us updated

I'm 19. I've had ekgs, holters, echocardiogram, stresstest. I'm out of shape white definitely contributes but for a full blown panic attack between 150 and 200 is normal for me. Sounds scary I know but I've had anxiety for 6 years and all the millions of doctors I've seen say my heart is perfectly fine. My therapist says it is too. My blood pressure usually doesn't go up with I'm anxious just my heart rate. So the chances of me having a stroke are verrrry slim.

Luisito
12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
IMO, Klonopin works great for most people, try to stay at 0.5mg twice a day, no more, unless is prescribed. If your heart rate speed up above 150 bpm, it can be related to some electrolyte imbalance maybe. Have you had a potassium, sodium, calcium blood tests?
Try some magnesium glycinate 200mg twice a day and see what happens. Magnesium has a direct relation with heart rythm and the only side effect you can get is some loose stools or little somnolence