PDA

View Full Version : How to fly with severe anxiety ?

knp
10-05-2018, 03:40 PM
Hello, I have not been on flight since 2007 and have very strong anxiety. How should I calm me down for 10 hour flight. It seems very hard. My mind races and panic if I am stuck in flight or elevator. I have to travel to see my parents.

Is Valium or lorazepam totally calm me down ? OR do I need something else.

It seems like I won't be able to travel and will be stuck at same place for rest of my life. Also I do not have any support from anybody since I started having anxiety and panic attack. Jobless and alone.

Please help. Any advise.

Twichard
10-07-2018, 12:30 AM
If the meds you have said don't help try having a couple of beers without the pills and sleep most of the flight this may help but im from Scotland we like a wee drink over here

MainerMikeBrown
10-08-2018, 04:41 PM
KNP, fortunately, you won't have to settle for being stuck in the same place for the rest of your life if you get the necessary treatment for your anxieties.

av1988
10-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Hello, I have not been on flight since 2007 and have very strong anxiety. How should I calm me down for 10 hour flight. It seems very hard. My mind races and panic if I am stuck in flight or elevator. I have to travel to see my parents.

Is Valium or lorazepam totally calm me down ? OR do I need something else.

It seems like I won't be able to travel and will be stuck at same place for rest of my life. Also I do not have any support from anybody since I started having anxiety and panic attack. Jobless and alone.

Please help. Any advise.

I hate flying too. I haven't been on medication for a while and I had to go on a flight for a wedding that I was in recently. I was the best man. So not only was I anxious about flying, I was anxious about public speaking!

As soon as I got on the flight I told the flight attendant about my severe anxiety. It was a 6 hour flight, about once an hour she'd sneak me a miniature liquor bottle. I got a good buzz going and I was watching movies I downloaded on my phone via Netflix.

I never recommend alcohol as a way to curb anxiety, but in the case of me flying without any medication and being that anxious, I happily took the booze.

MainerMikeBrown
10-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Even when I used to have terrible anxieties years ago, I never had a fear of flying.

I'm grateful for that.