PDA

View Full Version : Afraid to go away on holidays

raychie
12-02-2008, 03:43 AM
I have just organised to go away for Christmas with my partner, the thing is its a 2 day drive away and its freaking me out.

I'm not very good at going out of my "comfort zone " and this is a real stretch for me.
Im worried that I'm going to freak out why I'm away and wont be able to do anything to calm down. I keep thinking 'what if" I have a panic attack that I cant stop it, if I am freaked out I need to come home, what if I cant relax and have fun the whole time I'm away????

We are leaving in 2 weeks and I cant think of anything else but the stress of going. I cant sleep and every minute of the day Im thinking how can I get out of this?.

Is there anyone out there who is going through or has gone through anything like this? I need some help BIG time because I cant relax and its meant to be a holiday :(

xgemma06x
12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Hi Raychie.

Last April we booked to go to spain for 2 weeks, and I wasnt happy but was scared to say anything about it.

I panicked and panicked and kept thinking what if i have a panic attack and what if die etc.

I put it off tried to make excuses saying i didnt have a passport and one day i just thought to myself you are not going to die, the worse thing that can happen is a panic attack, and i can deal with that.

I take 2, 20mg cipralex daily, so i made sure i had enough for my holiday, and took extra tablets away with me just in case.

I also got some diazapam from my doctor, and just having them there helped me be less nervous and scared.

If you keep worrying about what will happen, you will worry yourself in to a panic attack, i know it is hard, but just go, and just go with the flow, tell yourself nothing will happen, stay calm and ENJOY YOURSELF.

I went to spain and ended up having the best 2 weeks of my life, and didnt have a panic attack once, i actually forgot about my panic attacks and anxiety for the first time in a long time.

You will be fine keep your chin up and stay postive.

gemma xx

raychie
12-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi Gemma

Thanks so much for sharing your story, I really appreciate it.

I know you're right about me enjoying myself once I relax. I think I'm worried so how if I take a xanax and it doesnt work I'll be freaking out the whole time.

It's not like Xanax has not worked for me before, these are just the thoughts that are going through my head.

I also think that I dont want to suffer a panic attack which will last the 2 days it takes to drive home if I need too.

Im such a sad case :(

Vicki
12-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I think you're worrying so much because you're overwhelmed, not just with the trip but waiting for it to happen! Like Gemma said you need to go with the flow but I'd also chunk that flow down to bite sized pieces! Just get through each hour as it comes if a full day is too much to worry about!

Luckily you've got a couple of weeks to prepare for this trip... so what do you need to do to make sure you feel more confident about going?

Steve_P
12-03-2008, 01:43 PM
raychie,

I've certainly had the same dread of a trip in the past, especially with holiday travel as there is always so much traffic and crowds are seemingly everywhere. However, something that really helped me was to focus on 2 things.

1) How confident and proud of yourself you will feel once the trip is over and you successfully made it through!

2) The positive end of this trip - that you're going to visit loved ones over a holiday.

Looking positively into the future, as well as what Vicki mentions, taking it one baby step at a time, will really help you get through such events.

raychie
12-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys, you're right. Last night I started thinking about how many exciting things Im going to do whilst on holiday and I made it through the night sleeping :)

I dont know what it is that would make me feel more confident about going but I do look forward to being proud of myself when I come home knowing everything was ok.

I also look at it this way (and maybe i shouldn't but If it becomes to much I will just have to take a xanax to relax me. Of course that being my last resort but its there as a comfort.

My partners also told me that if it become to much for me we just pack up and come right home. That support itself helps alot.

Thanks for your help guy's I will keep you posted.

Vicki
12-04-2008, 03:39 AM
What an AMAZING partner you have!! Look at it this way - you have the oportunity to go on a fantastic few days away but if it all gets too much you have your partners support and the choice to come home again. You have the best of both worlds!

raychie
12-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Vicki you're so right. I do have an amazing partner and once he had said that to me it lightened the load.

I am very blessed, this is true.

I feel guilty like I'm complaining when I'm luckier than most but I think that's normal.

I have to say also being on this forum and knowing Im not alone has really helped me. I'm finally getting excited about my holiday.

Thanks for the support everyone. *hugs*

Vicki
12-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Take lots of pictures to share with us when you come home :)

raychie
12-05-2008, 03:25 AM
Take lots of pictures to share with us when you come home :)

I sure will, I'll let you know all about it :)

xgemma06x
12-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Your definetly not a sad case raychie!! we are all members of this forum cos we want to help each other and get each other through this but most of all to help ourselves =)

Glad your feeling better and i hope you have a fantastic time on your trip =)

raychie
12-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Ok I'm leaving in a weeks time and I'm feeling excited.

So that I can relate to you guys when I'm away I'll print out all your advice and take it with me. A little of you guys will be on holidays with me.

I look forward to giving you the positive feedback when I get home. I'm trying really hard to think positive thoughts and just go with the flow.

(deep down I feel very nervous)

OK, deep breaths will be taken, smiles will be displayed and a bloody good time will be had.

Happy holidays everyone, have a safe time and I'll write you when I get home.

Thank you all once again.

raychie
12-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Hi everyone

Well I'm back and I have to say I am soooooooo proud of myself. I went away on holidays and was not anxious once. I can not believe it at all.

It was a long 13 hour drive for the first day which I totally thought would freak me out, but it didn't. I kept thinking to myself the further away I was the more anxious I would get.... I didn't.

There was times were we drove between towns which were an hour apart si it was literally in the middle of nowhere. I started to think about the what if's and then said to myself it was only an anxious thought and it soon went away.

The next day was an easy 4 hour drive so it was ok. When I reached my destination it was so beautiful I was excited. No fear no anxiety the whole time.

I was so relaxed nothing bothered me and no experience was to scary to have.

I feel FANTASTIC! The only down I had was having to come home. I'm off again tomorrow for another 3 days to my brothers house down the bush and I just cant wait to be away again, although this is only 1.5 hours away.

I would really like to say a HUGE THANK YOU for all your ideas and thoughts but most of all caring enough to make the time to write and assist me. I took all your ideas on board and it worked. I had the most amazing time away and I cant wait to go again next year. I'm going to go for twice the length of time for sure next time, nothings holding me back.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. xoxoxox

louisrapisarda
01-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Hi. Why are you freaking out when your not even there yet?? Also if you have them negative thoughs that you are going to feel very uncomfortable then you will. If i was you i would clear my mind. Just think about having a happy and stress free holiday. set your self goals, Etc go too a mall for 2 hrs and come home, and give your self a pat on the back.. Never think negative or else you will feel unreal and freeky.. Im here for you and i suffer the same thing. Remeber your not the only one going through this hard time. All the best for the trip, Louis.... Sorry its late but it might help for the up coming things you do in your life... feel free to pm or send me a message via email... All the best. Stay postive. You can do it.

kevinpanic77
01-03-2009, 06:32 PM
I have just organised to go away for Christmas with my partner, the thing is its a 2 day drive away and its freaking me out.

I'm not very good at going out of my "comfort zone " and this is a real stretch for me.
Im worried that I'm going to freak out why I'm away and wont be able to do anything to calm down. I keep thinking 'what if" I have a panic attack that I cant stop it, if I am freaked out I need to come home, what if I cant relax and have fun the whole time I'm away????

We are leaving in 2 weeks and I cant think of anything else but the stress of going. I cant sleep and every minute of the day Im thinking how can I get out of this?.

Is there anyone out there who is going through or has gone through anything like this? I need some help BIG time because I cant relax and its meant to be a holiday :(

Avoid stimulants and drink lots of water.

I just wrote a "how to beat anxiety attacks" article in my blog. Go check it out if you want, and I hope it helps you.

Vicki
01-14-2009, 06:45 AM
I'm so pleased to read you had such a fab time!!