PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies Matter

MainerMikeBrown
04-10-2018, 01:49 PM
If you have mental illness like I do, there are many components involved when trying to manage and overcome this terrible illness. Psychiatric medications, psychotherapy, setting/achieving realistic goals, and living a healthy lifestyle are just some of the many ways to beat mental illness.

However, another way that can really help you emotionally, whether or not you have mental illness, are hobbies.

I've found that even simple hobbies can be quite therapeutic for me. For example, posting comments to online forums like AnxietyForum.net is a hobby that's simple but effective for helping me manage my illness. This easy-to-do hobby is something that often helps keep me emotionally well and happy.

A hobby by itself isn't enough to overcome serious mental health issues. But combined with treatment it really can make a difference. It has with me. And it can for you as well.

IAmCamille
06-25-2018, 01:10 AM
Very well said! An interesting activity or hobby that we enjoy helps us emotionally, especially when stressed.

AngelaEvers
06-29-2018, 01:48 AM
Very true. It rejuvenates our body and mind.

Imperfect
07-17-2018, 01:53 AM
A great way to be in the moment.

Mythos
07-24-2018, 09:23 PM
I'd been thinking about this for several years, the necessity to have a hobby still eludes me which is why I started feeling myself drift from my own. I'm glad I've rediscovered it though, and I'm glad there are posts like these that help bolster the belief that they are necessary.

Twichard
08-10-2018, 11:42 PM
Yes hobbys are a good tool to take you away from you're problems my hobby is fishing qnd its those times that can make you forget about everything else for a little time1893

Imperfect
08-10-2018, 11:53 PM
Hi Twichard. Nice to see you back in the forum again.

Twichard
08-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Hi Twichard. Nice to see you back in the forum again. thanks ive been not so good my right lung collapsed with the heat in Scotland this summer ot was down to severe asthma new meds are helping

sazco
10-30-2018, 11:18 AM
My cousin and I just made our own mental health forum, I like making websites. That's my favorite hobby....

ingridcarley
11-30-2018, 06:58 AM
When we are in stressed to overcome this situation we have to do those things which feel good and makes our day. enjoy with friends and family.

Ponder
12-06-2018, 10:36 PM
Hey Twichard, why not let bygones be bygones and you show me your latest prize catch?

Twichard
12-07-2018, 12:28 AM
Hey Twichard, why not let bygones be bygones and you show me your latest prize catch?

It's all forgotten life to short im Scottish and we are know for our fiery temper

Ponder
12-07-2018, 02:16 AM
Takes two to tango. Thanks for the slack ... Much appreciated. Major issues this end as well. I know we all can't get to do the things we love, but it does help to find something that gives us a little fun. I saw your photo above with the fish thinking what a choice share it was. That's one hell of a catch as well as a grin. :)

Twichard
12-07-2018, 11:03 AM
Takes two to tango. Thanks for the slack ... Much appreciated. Major issues this end as well. I know we all can't get to do the things we love, but it does help to find something that gives us a little fun. I saw your photo above with the fish thinking what a choice share it was. That's one hell of a catch as well as a grin. :)

No worries old news

Ponder
12-07-2018, 12:26 PM
You don't mess about do you.

Dahila
12-07-2018, 12:49 PM
that is a fishhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Twichard
12-07-2018, 12:55 PM
No its my way of getting away from the stresses of life i return every fish i catch safe and well everyone needs an escape

Ponder
12-07-2018, 03:29 PM
What else do you do for an escape?

Dahila
12-07-2018, 04:58 PM
yeah what else , you do not fish all the time, I have a lot of hobbies, shame to have so many, they help me a lot

Twichard
12-07-2018, 07:09 PM
yeah what else , you do not fish all the time, I have a lot of hobbies, shame to have so many, they help me a lot
Only fishing i spend the rest of the time caring for my son hes a ill young man

Twichard
12-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Only fishing i spend the rest of the time caring for my son hes a ill young man

Oh i have 4 pet rats to look after and we have 3 whippets

Ponder
12-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Yep, that would keep you busy. What' your son like doing?

Ponder
12-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Cool. The little dogs look like small greyhounds and your rats, well looked after.

Twichard
12-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Cool. The little dogs look like small greyhounds and your rats, well looked after.

Yeah whippets love to run they're a hound my son can't get out very often I'll take him for a drive in the countryside when he's well enough to get out but he has loved the power rangers since he was a little boy and he watches a lot of kids tv that's about it for him he has a condition called dravet syndrome and autism disorder my wife and i spend most of our time giving him the help he needs

Dahila
12-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Whippets wonderful breed, they are very distinct from greyhounds. Yours look so good Twichard, but Scots take a good care of their animals. I have few friends in Scotland that I keep in touch for many years already ;) Love them, the dogs i mean ;)
Rats are no for me, I have awful phobia about them, even I know they are very flexible and smart pets.
I do believe that your son gets the best care ever, nothing can match parents love.
Thank you for sharing this with us. Now i do understand more about you Twitchard,
I am from Poland, living in Canada for the last 30 years, grandma, Herbalist, cosmetic crafters and few other things ;)
Say warm hello to your beautiful son from me, please :)

Twichard
12-14-2018, 12:04 PM
Oh i have 4 pet rats to look after and we have 3 whippets

Hi ponder my son like to watch power rangers and kids tv oh and doctor who i hope you're well i haven't been on forum for a while have a nice Christmas twichard

Ponder
12-14-2018, 05:37 PM
https://i.ibb.co/bbm6jJP/Power-rangers.gif

Nice to hear from you again Twichard. :)
Hope Xmas goes well for you and yours.

I'm doing well enough ... thx for asking.