PDA

View Full Version : Disagreeable

RedBaron
01-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Totally new to this site and/or concept of speaking publicly about this type of information.
I have been diagnosed as Agoraphobic, but I disagree with the diagnosis. My problem, mainly, is basically an issue of control. I have no problems being in traffic, in a closed space, or amongst large crowds. My main problem is, for example, being "trapped" in an airplane, where I can't leave whenever I want; Being in a large store, where I can't see the entrance/exit; Being "trapped" in a traffic jam, at a red light, etc, where I can't move whenever I want. All of the aforementioned cause me great anxiety/panic, to the point where I have considered dismounting my vehicle in heavy traffic, and where I actually disembarked an airplane when they began to close the door. I have actually, now, gotten to the point where I anticipate the anxiety/panic and subsequently expect to not be able to get in an elevator, airplane, heavy traffic, etc. With my understanding of Agoraphobia, my problems do not meet the criteria of going out in public, so I think I have been mis-diagnosed. I even argued that point with my Doctor, but she insists this is Agoraphobia.
Looking for "feedback" from the "experienced", to tell me if I lack in the complete understanding of Agoraphobia, or if there is some other "illness" (other than Clostrophobia) for which my condition may qualify.
RedBaron

shoe
01-18-2006, 02:28 PM
RedBaron, I think 'control' is central problem with many anxiety disorders.. or rather, lack-of-control. If we were in total control of our bodies and surroundings we wouldn't have these disorders :)

I can't tell you if your therapist is correct but you could take a look at the online DSM-IV which lists the diagnostic criteria and how much criteria you are supposed to meet before getting an official diagnosis (links are in the Resources section - bottom of the 'screening tests' post). Its not an exact science though, as most anxiety sufferers have some personal elements that are very unique among them which may or may not be similar to issues others experience.

I'd be guessing though that the typical anxiety treatment (CBT) would probably be used to treat what you experience as well.

shoe

brickyard_red
01-20-2006, 06:24 AM
Welcome RedBaron. I'm glad you came here. It does help to talk about it. I have to agree with Shoe. Go to the resource section and look under the screening tests and see what you can find.

I think there can be all different levels of agoraphobia also. Maybe you don't have the classic kind seen most of the time, but tend to exhibit certain tendenacies when out and experiencing things.

Anyways, I'm glad you're here and hope to see more of you in the futrue.

Cath :)