PDA

View Full Version : General question for anxiety suffers

xrumer
11-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Do most of us with bad anxiety always think we have something wrong with our hearts? What ever reason i can't shake the idea that "its my heart"

When the real truth for me is it's anxiety

brittypixi
11-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Its probably associated with the heart because our hearts beat so fast when we get anxious!!

Axel8
11-25-2008, 02:14 AM
I have spent the last year thinking I have something wrong with my heart, despite 2 trips to A&E, 2 ECG's and blood work - all of which showed my cardio system to be perfectly healthy.

Initially my anxiety attcks were completely psychological, although I did get a few chest pains and palpitations. As I got to know more about Anxiety, the psychological aspect subsided a litlle because whereas before I didn't know what it was I was so worried about, I began to learn to deal with the worry aspect by saying 'this is my anxiety - don't panic'.

The chest pains however still bother me today, and I also have pains in my arms and legs. I think when you get it into your head that you have something else wrong with you, your anxiety will manifest itself in the form of another illness - i.e some sort of heart disease in our case, and I know alot of other people convince themselves they have cancer or they are about to havce a stroke etc.

The best thing you can do is eat well and excersize. By eating well you feel healthier. When I get drunk and wake up with a hangover I have the worst chest pains because I feel unhealthy and this triggers my anxiety. Equally when I return from a game of football or a 4 mile run I am not bothered by any anxiety or pains for the rest of the day because I feel so healthy and alive.

I know how good it is to hear other people discuss these things - the worst is thinking you are alone in your anguish. I hope these comments help you. One thing I will say is do get tested - the best piece of mind you can have is knowing there is nothing medically wrong with your heart. Just don't fall into the trap of thinking there is still something wrong with you once you get the all clear from a doctor (which I did 3 times). That is what your anxiety wants you to do.

Peace x

northstar
11-25-2008, 07:35 AM
i used to get chest pains and heart palpitations quite a lot, but then i figured out that it was actually low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) that was causing the problem! as soon as i started to eat better the problems stopped & only come back if i fall off the nutrition wagon! alcohol will also cause low blood sugar problems, dehydration and burn quickly through your nutrients making you feel worse, that's why often people have anxiety and panic attacks after they've been drinking :)

you can read a bit more about it here: http://www.anxietyforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4087

xrumer
11-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for your replies. :)

JasonDI64
11-25-2008, 10:23 PM
When I first got panic disorder I was absolutely convinced for a year that a heart attack was imminent. So it's pretty common. Unfortunately now my anxiety is completely different, I found another imaginary thing to worry about :).