PDA

View Full Version : fear of damaging my car

Mopar
02-01-2018, 05:41 PM
So this is very weird but it's bothering me. Whenever I'm driving my car I'm terrified I'll bump into something or someone will bump into me. I've never been in an accident and I'm a good driver so I'm not sure why this arose to be such a problem. Now, I do really like my car so obviously I'd be concerned about damaging it, but I'm excessively worried and it just makes me stressed out when I drive. Every time I get out I have to walk around my car and make sure it's okay. Keep in mind this problem only occurres in my car. At work, I drive a ton of cars and have never have a problem. I don't get stressed. I didn't always have this problem though. I'm 18 now and this is my 3rd car (same kind
Of car as my last one but nicer) and I work very hard for it. I love cars and I love driving but this irrational fear is ruining the experience. I hate driving near other cars and parking in tight spots in my car. No problem in any other car though. Anyone have any advice so I can just enjoy my car?

metal4life
02-02-2018, 04:37 AM
Well basically you really like to enjoy cars which makes you worry about it. When you damage your car the joy goes away and problems come and thats the worry. You just want to enjoy it. Also since you bought it, its diferent tan using the ones at work. Try to be a Little bit more confident and dont make these walks around everyday. Also try to focus on the Street more than ever. I dont have a car so these are the options i would do.

Mopar
02-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Well basically you really like to enjoy cars which makes you worry about it. When you damage your car the joy goes away and problems come and thats the worry. You just want to enjoy it. Also since you bought it, its diferent tan using the ones at work. Try to be a Little bit more confident and dont make these walks around everyday. Also try to focus on the Street more than ever. I dont have a car so these are the options i would do.

Thanks for the reply. I focus on the road and this issue doesn't effect my driving abilities. It just makes me stressed out when I drive my car, makes me feel like I'm ruining my car every second. It's like being a hypochondriac (which I have to admit.. I am one) but about my car

blueballoon
02-06-2018, 03:06 PM
I worry about my car too, park in far parts of the lot, near bushes or edges. but you are fearing much more than me. I'd say if you get out and check your car evey time you drive, and let's say that's 5 times a day... maybe start by taking 1 time a day where you don't check. just one. start with that. Or start with just checking the back not the front. and then expand from there.

Ponder
02-06-2018, 03:43 PM
Time usually helps - eventfully more scratches take place, the tires ware and the brakes need to be replaced. Once you get used to those facts ... you'll find something else to panic about. Either way - many of us would do well just to accept the way we are and perhaps plan ahead without too much fuss.

Yea ... I agree with mixing up your thought patterns by doing something different with how you approach your trips. Retrain your brain.

Dahila
02-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Mopar I had the same but was cured when I scratched my car all over my bumpers, the license plates. The first time I was crying the second one I was sad the third time ; I said f***k it and stopped worrying. Car is just the thingy , not worth to care so much.
The one I was scratching like crazy was Mazda 3, copper hachkback, 2.5 l engine. The color was copper metalic, went nice with my hair color . Stop worrying, just enjoy driving ;)