PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety is driving me insane

Tshoverton
01-23-2018, 12:37 PM
hey y’all! Haven’t posted on here in a while. Anxiety disappeared then out of no where it’s back full force. The crazy symptoms has me thinking I’m like dying. Stomach issues, back tingles, weakness in arms and legs, burning sensations on the arms and legs and the list goes on and on. Anyone else have the same problem?

RoadToRecovery
01-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Hi Tshoverton - yes I have experienced most of the symptoms you descibed. I would recommend getting a thorough medical evaluation and rule out other causes first (assuming you haven't already done this). If your doctor concludes this is anxiety and nothing else, I would recommend deep relaxing twice a day for 20 minutes each time. People who struggle with anxiety have a very stressed body. A stressed body will produce symptoms of stress (such as ones you have mentioned). Relaxing the body engages the parasympathetic nervous system, which produces the "relax response" from your body.

I would recommend simply sitting in a comfortable position and put on some relaxing music such as ocean waves or beautiful piano music. Do a few deep breaths, Then simply think of something and focus on it for about 30 seconds, then switch to something else. Examples could be food, a number, a color, a relaxing environment, a peaceful place you enjoy, etc. I like to do progressive muscle relaxations where I tense individual muscle groups, then relax them. Such as starting on your scalp, then face, neck, chest, arms, back, legs, calves, feet, etc. this can be very relaxing and ease tension.

If you do this once or twice a day, you will eventually start to see your symptoms go down. The key is patience. Do not expect perfection when relaxing, as that is not the goal. It is simply to make our body a little more relaxed. In time, your body will get more used to it. In time, your symptoms will diminish.

Other activities that can relax the body include deep breathing exercises, catnaps, a warm bath, walking in the country, listening to peaceful music, getting enough sleep, avoiding caffeine (caffeine is a stimulant that stresses the body), filling your home with pleasant fragrances, regular light to moderate exercise, and others. Deep relaxation however is a silver bullet and I believe all in all should be prioritized higher.

I highly recommend reading my story, which you can find on this website at this link:

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?36155-All-Anxiety-Sufferers-Please-Read-This-Could-Change-Your-Life

It's a long read, but I think you would find it helpful. I have found a very helpful resource that has helped me to recover from anxiety disorder. If you'd rather not read through the whole thing, please at least try to read my fourth and fifth post where I describe how i was able to find help.

I wish you nothing but the best! :)

Jordan

Ponder
01-23-2018, 03:18 PM
Sure ... but it's not always related to anxiety. Anxiety is more a symptom than it is the cause.

Tshoverton
01-24-2018, 03:42 AM
Thank you for that. My doctor has diagnosed me with anxiety/panic/depression. This time of the year I’m most stressed due to my job with working long hrs and not to mention I have 4 kids at home I still have to go to when I leave work. Thank you frnthe advice: it seems very helpful.

Ponder
01-24-2018, 11:56 AM
For what it's worth, you don't have to agree with your doctor. Very important point that one. You seem to of diagnosed the situation very well in yourself in your last response. But sometimes it just feels really great to have a label.

Dahila
01-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Thank you for that. My doctor has diagnosed me with anxiety/panic/depression. This time of the year I’m most stressed due to my job with working long hrs and not to mention I have 4 kids at home I still have to go to when I leave work. Thank you frnthe advice: it seems very helpful.

Doctors are fast to diagnose it, are they not?
Mine was pushing antidepressants on me while I do not suffer depression. Anxiety and mood swings, panic attacks yes but not depression.
It could be like that with you. Raising 4 kids is not small task, I had two and they were driving me crazy, the constant fear that something happen to them. I hope you find the way to deal with it, there is a few options for you. Road to recovery makes excellent posts, please read them,
Welcome to the forum