PDA

View Full Version : Micro currents?

DustingMyselfOff
01-20-2018, 01:19 PM
I don't imagine this is going to be a subject matter many people have experience with but I'm at my wits end and figured it was worth a try throwing it out there.

There are "age defying" facial devices on the market that emit microcurrents into your facial muscles that lift and tighten and supposedly will, with regular use, make your face look more toned and younger. I'm always into gadgets and ways to improve my appearance but before buying one, my friend let me borrow hers. I used it last night and liked it, and I DID see a difference. So I was going to research today which one to buy and order my own. But I woke up with racing thoughts, didn't want to get out of bed, didn't want to talk to anyone, just want to crawl under a rock. My anxiety is high and my irritability is through the roof. I want to run away from myself but of course that's not possible.

It occurred to me a while ago that MAYBE this is a result of the microcurrents I zapped into my face and forehead last night? It's not listed as a side effect anywhere but of course I always get side effects no one else does so that wouldn't surprise me. What I did find is that microcurrents are used to HELP anxiety, so maybe it DID have an effect on me? Maybe with the right current in the right, expert hands it can help, but using it as a facial might have triggered whatever is making me want to tear my brains out today.

Anyone know anything about this, or have any opinions on whether or not this is causing my horrible day?
Sue

DustingMyselfOff
01-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Actually, I just thought of something else I did differently yesterday that may be causing this: I had a ton of Chinese food which I haven't eaten in a very long time. Perhaps it's the MSG causing this anxiety and irritability!
Sue

Ponder
01-21-2018, 04:29 AM
Try lifting something heavy on occasion. The exertion will cause an automated response similar to Mirco Current Technology causing your facial muscles to lift and tighten. Doing so regularly will make your face look more toned and younger. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

Srry I could not resist.

Hey whatever works.

I've read a lot about how currents can interfere with our natural chemistry. What you beleive can also greatly effect the outcome as well. Nothing beats doing you own experiment based on a non bias approach without expectation whatsoever over a long period of time with non variables and like wise scientific methods employed. Me also being finely tuned and open to my sensitives side ... intuition plays as much a role for me. Basically the use of electrical stimulus is very short lived and proposed to cause more issues than not. Its best to adopt a lifestyle that stimulates the Vegas Nerve (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+to+stimulate+the+vagus+nerve&rlz=1C1AVFC_enAU739AU740&oq=how+to+stimulate+the+vegas+nerve&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.7236j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8) ... that will help you look younger. It's also helps with mental health as well.

IMO it sounds like a complete waste of time using micro currents to tone one's face. You'd be better off jumping face first off the empire state building.

As for psychotherapy - it's kind of like going back to the late 19th century up to the 50's

https://image.ibb.co/i92eMw/SHOCKING.png

DustingMyselfOff
01-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the comic relief - not something you see too often on an anxiety forum. But .... better off diving face first off a building? Nah, not sure that would be better than microcurrents, but you try it first and let me know, OK? :)
Sue

Ponder
01-21-2018, 02:09 PM
:) That's the spirit.

https://image.ibb.co/mv6M3b/falling.jpg

I speak from experience:
https://image.ibb.co/jEvdGw/flat_face.png

It's not all comic. I stand by what I say with regards to shock treatment from a consumer perspective being more problematic than not. That said if one believes in it they may reap some kind of initial benefit, however long term I can only see it causing issues. The hole thing with Bruce Lee shocking his abs whilst sitting at his desk makes for a cool story and sale gimmick, but I question the intent which defines more the outcome in all we do. People are easily lead when it comes to such marketing.

Whilst in our most despairing moments when we feel as though we feel nothing - we are still sensitive to electrical information around us. It's said we do enough damage to ourselves lining our beds up withing in a meter of a power outlet. Just think how much more out of sync we push things when applying current to our heads?

The part about doing a test on ones self is also worth noting. Perhaps borrow your friends for a two week trail? How long has your friend had theirs? Hmmm waiting to see what happens there might help, but it's second hand information. The only real way to gauge it would be to try it yourself.

In the interest of respecting your curiosity I checked out some info specific to what your talking about. Seems only fair.

I typically like to avoid the HYPE, the sales pitch marketing. As they claim you get long lasting results without taking about the ongoing effort that is required just like it is with exercise. The only difference is that one activity does a lot more for the body compared to the other, however I acknowledge that not everyone is able to exercise hard enough to flatten their face. lol Again I talk from experience.

Here is a CNN video: (Not that I condone CNN as a good source ... just like the bit about their reference to exercise and short term results - opposite of the long term claims given at sites with beautiful young girls with soft skin being used as examples)
Microcurrent facial giving faces a workout (http://edition.cnn.com/videos/health/2017/05/22/teching-microcurrent-facial.cnn/video/playlists/teching-care-of-your-health/)

I accept the benefit for people with muscular issues. That would not be so much your atypical consumerist use. So when looking for info ... look into the more science based article and avoid the flashy looking sales ones. I myself have a few facial ticks which is another story. You know some people can be effected simply by wearing digital watches ... yet another story.

Hmmm what else is there:

This looks good:

"Institute in Stockholm, Sweden, illustrated that infected or injured tissues, as well as healthy tissue, generated electrical stimulus potential that is not related to the nervous system’s electrical activity.1 Dr. Robert Becker of the well-reputed work on electrotherapy: The Body Electric has also illustrated that endogenous electricity, along with adaptations in the polarity of tissue elicited through injury or illness, may actually denote the primary mechanism of the healing process.2 Microcurrent remains immensely popular in the medical and aesthetic field, presenting a staggering number of devices and apparatus professing skin refinement and tightening. Science plays a dominant role in microcurrent with regard to physics, biology, and electricity – there are variables that corroborate a true microcurrent application and the possibility of achieving anticipated results."

Then is goes on to explain the primary types of electronic stimulation used in health, sports medicine, and cosmetology

The article is called - The Physiological Effects of Microcurrent (http://www.dermascope.com/treatments/the-physiological-effects-of-microcurrent#.WmT7CaiWZhE)

I am so skeptical of claims on the internet and most of all when not trailing things no myself that I even look for sales marketing hype behind the science. Drug and food companies use this kind of things all the time and then you get passionate people who use these things/techniques using said claims to justify their own claims. Happens in places like here all the time. Just look at the medication sub forum. THAT SAID ... that article I just linked is more what I would tend to look into when researching these kind of gadgets.

The last paragraph sounds good ... however I was still skeptically looking for the reverse psychology often used ... context of meaning as stated above. I just like the part where it tends to highlights how flimsy this tech is spread across the net. If your passionate about something - then that's great ... use your passion to learn more. The more you learn about it the more you will gain from it. You might find something more suitable are at best ... be better prepared on how to use this technology and how to avoid the gimmicks.

That last article kind of elevates my concerns about it and puts to the side my own sensitivities and bias as well. Funny how information can do that ... again ... one must be careful how they open up. My appetite to know things can be my own undoing but then again it also protects me. Srry to go on.

I hope you find what your looking for. That said ... I'll just finish with "You sound pretty enough to me" :)
__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Last para from that article:
A Time for Critical Thinking (http://www.dermascope.com/treatments/the-physiological-effects-of-microcurrent#.WmT7CaiWZhE)
"The modern clinical-based approach to aesthetics involves medical-oriented philosophies and the integration of hi-tech equipment. As the information highway moves swiftly, so does the exposure to professional products, technologies, and devices to our ever-increasingly observant and astute clients. As a result, the Internet is often perceived as a second opinion resource for many and poses the prospect of ‘information overload.’ This factor may impact the delivery of recommendations to clients and create a level of ambiguity. In the quest for aesthetic excellence, skin care professionals should also focus on delivering the most current scientific information to clients, along with the presentation of progressive equipment. The knowledge path chosen should include a commitment to recognize the importance of technical training and to learn to explore the scientific model – one of reasoning, confirmation, and confidence."

DustingMyselfOff
01-21-2018, 02:58 PM
Well, apparently you are as bad as I am (or as good?) in that I research everything to death and to excess. I don't put anything in or on my body until I've read all I can about it, spoken to others about it, and then I still contemplate for a while. Knowledge can never be bad, except in my case I do tend to get obsessive with research.... I'm trying to "calm down" and not dwell on everything so much and accept that maybe I don't need to know EVERYTHING. (Wish me luck with that!)

My friend offered it to me a long time ago and I finally tried it, once. Yes, I can keep it for months if I want to. Will I use it again? Dunno. I did see immediate affects and improvement but do I want to commit to yet another daily care routine? Not sure.

However, I'm pretty sure now that the microcurrent was NOT the cause of my anxiety and feeling lousy on Saturday. If it wasn't the MSG I ate Friday night, then it might VERY WELL BE the new medication my GI doc started me on 10 days ago. It's mercaptopurine, which is a drug they use to suppress the immune system (used for chemo and for anti-rejection of transplanted organs). There seems to be some success in using it for colitis so he insists I need to start coming off the steroids and try this instead.

I started a low-grade fever 5 days ago, am unbelievably exhausted, and just feeling lousy. Apparently all of this can be a reaction to the med so he told me to skip it for a few days to see if things improve. Oh, and whenever I start to feel lousy physically? I get anxious and panicky, so the puzzle pieces kinda fit.

You're dying to borrow the NuFace Trinity unit and try it on your own face, aren't you? Come on - admit it - you want to try it! :)
Sue

Lisa50
01-21-2018, 03:03 PM
I am interested to know if anyone has experienced increased sweating and increased heart rate on venlafaxine (effexor). I was on celexa for many years and bridged to effexor. I got up to 112.5mg but heart rate went up and blood pressure very low. I went back down to 75mg but am still very anxious with high heart rate. I don't know if it's my anxiety or something wrong with my heart. the sweating on effexor is also unbearable. Anyone else go thru this? What did you do? Thank you :(

Ponder
01-21-2018, 05:27 PM
LOL - :) Being well informed does help to make healthier decisions. Ultimately I am my own guinea pig in the end and admit my experience may differ as too ... others to mine. This is why basing our choices on the results of others is not always a good thing.

For example ... Lisa50 ... YES been there and have experienced that with effexor. What did I do. I stopped taking it.

My response is really not adequate for someone else to make a decision base on that. My youngest daughter also experience the same and me and also stop taking it. People could reason the length of time taken, does, body composition, dietary intake, metabolic rates and so on and on and on. Basically a lot of variable that get left out whilst people ride with the negative side effects grasping at straws leading to all kinds of claims. Hence why we are probably as thorough as some of us be when it comes to reading up on certain things.

Srry that does not really help you there Lisa50. Perhaps you could post in the med sub section however bare in mind you the source in which all this information comes.

My Face - lol ... I don't mind my lines, but after having an oil bath from time to time I don't mind the rejuvenated look. I have skin issues as a result from abusing my liver in the past with bad diet and being a chronic alcoholic during my teen age years and on.

I notice when eating a clean diet based on plant - mostly raw - with lots of water and healthy oils, that my skin looks 10 years younger within say 4 weeks of living like so. I've tried carious things outside lifestyle related living ... however I am coming to see the sense in using a few assists. That's a pretty big back step for me to say so. I think it's more about balance. If take a few short cuts can boost ones confidence to make healthier decisions then I guess it's really not such a bad thing.

Perhaps I really I might tinker in my shed with some light gauge PC wires, find a few AA batteries and begin experimenting. :)

Ponder
01-21-2018, 05:30 PM
I wish I could be more helpful Lisa50 ... srry. :(

DustingMyselfOff
01-21-2018, 08:13 PM
LOL - :)
Perhaps I really I might tinker in my shed with some light gauge PC wires, find a few AA batteries and begin experimenting. :)

LOL Again, thanks for the laugh. Even "I" who might go to desperate measure to improve my appearance will only use something that is FDA certified (or at a minimum, has a surge protector on it!) While you're tinkering, maybe come up with a home electrolysis kit for hair removal, too? I'll buy your first successful prototype!
Sue