PDA

View Full Version : Walking Cured My Depression

Ponder
01-08-2018, 02:11 PM

A very Simple Treatment that 'Requires No One other than Yourself'

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8608/28606993491_2209301038_o.jpg

Socializing is important, but is way over marketed in our well being crowed . People miss the point about social anxiety and like wise depressive states of being. There are times where it's actually good to be alone and enjoy the space it brings. For far too long now we have been dissing people who like their solitude wanting nothing than their own space. Can we really blame them when you consider this shrinking world? I think more a case of over zealous extroverts stigmatizing and somewhat jealous to benefits of introverted living.

I think a case of popularization and sensationalism marginalizing non participants all in the name of the well being/marketing agendas. Think about it. It really explains a lot of the negative commiseration and focus on loneliness as tied to depression in mental health circles being spouted by so many young saplings. They have been taught to think in such ways. It's been like a marketing campaign to groom the next gen into self help reliance with I say it again ... a consumer agenda. The greatest deception being to teach people how sick they are when really they've never been. Talk about the law of attraction and the power of it's manifestation ... meh ... goblygoo ... takes a lifetime to understand that talk yet is sold so cheap. Not to worry, as long as they are consuming the txt, pay for subscriptions and purchasing pills and buying into those BS treatments.

I am thankful to know that my Health Plan costs me nothing, requires nothing of any one else ... other than a Well Timed Walk. It's only when I am not walking and rely on the txt of someone else that I find myself having to spend money I do not have that then I find myself being 'lead' back into despair - hmmmm interesting fact indeed - such is the manipulation and dependency. It's such an addiction that speaking our against it brings so much flack ... usually from said sapping or long time addicts that are too tired for anything else. Is what it is ... Their bitching and moaning only inspires me to revamp my soap box and challenge said BS treatment and shallow views that do more to feed anxiety and depression.

When such shallow treatments run their course or in many cases present new problems as a result of long term reliance on chemical solutions that ultimately are no solution to lifestyle related problems.

It's OK to have a cry but do only consume what you need being sure to keep things real.

You can't beat walking when it comes to depression. If you miss that boat, then yea ... your hand will be working overtime lifting those pills - at least Way More than you really need. Your life will be a long and painful one.

awwwwwwwwwwww ... was that not inspiring?

https://image.ibb.co/k8Y2p6/png.png

I love PollyWolly !!!:)

Dahila
01-08-2018, 02:30 PM
yes walking helps, working in garden with plants helps, I think for me is being out and observe and absorb nature works very well. Today I went outside worked on some shoveling helping my hubby. He used snowblower. The cold crispy air helped me to clear my head and get rid of negative thoughts at least for now :)
I am not sure anyone will post here, people prefer to fix problems with pills (I take one a day too)
Herbs help, distractions, hobbies, animals, and much more
I like walking too, especially when there are not people present, I actually could do with a dog , to take him/her at least twice a day outside to have more than garden.........I had a huge dog for 13 years and we walked a lot, I was slim then and did not have any digestive problems, There was no better time than walking with my girl

Ponder
01-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Reading will be enough : ) I too still pop one from time to time. Mine are like on demand. New high tech system hey - lol On Demand Pill Supply ... works for me. Only wish I could do it with chocolate and cookies!!!

This thread is not so much about getting a response. although the img that represents pollywolly's assertion of me is there to let others know they may respond if they so wish. (ZZZZZZZZZZ) How pompous to say like so? Oh My - What fun it is to be me. It has passionately inspired me for this next seasons fit. hehe Mood Swings as they say, but how mute they sound using such limiting terms.

D - you look vibrant last time I saw pic of you with your bike!!! You also sound vibrant of late which too inspires me.

Loving the sound of the crispy air. :)

Thanx for sharing D. All positive stuff.

You know somthing ... my wife was just telling me how it's more a case our daughters depression is resultant from all those BS imges that make her want to be more than she already be. She is a quiet girl but all that BS about being loud, being brighter, being popular, being groomed and on and on ... that's the fucking shit that makes her depressed. Fucking extroverted lifestyles being marketed as blissful and success.

I'll be loud for all of us.
Is all good D - makes for a good read! Tell em like it is. Bitter sweet but much better medicine! It's intellectually refreshing. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

Roll on up ... let the crap fly ... Give us your best!!

Dahila
01-08-2018, 05:30 PM
it is "such refreshing inteligience" I am still laughing,,,,,,,,,,,,no kidding. Not very often people make me laugh. You know D, there is going to be like two days peace and quiet here, then the Pandora's box will open.......it will
Btw your daughter is such a beautiful girl with very sad eyes, How can she have a low self-esteem?
f***** society such pure pressure on young people, such bs and propaganda ..............eh

MrsMargo
01-16-2018, 05:48 AM
Hi, this is a good story. Thank you. Walking and fresh air make wonders. This is the best advice for those suffer from depression.

nathalia1011
01-18-2018, 11:23 PM
yes walking helps you away from being alone or being depressed . walking in the garden , doing some exercise while walking and breathing some fresh air.

ninjamonkey1014
01-30-2018, 02:10 PM
Walking has also helped me tremendously with depression and anxiety

MrsMargo
01-30-2018, 11:53 PM
Meditation has many benefits too, relief for stress and anxiety being among them. Meditation helps me to become more peaceful and more attentive to everything in my life, it helps me to understand my own mind.

MrsMargo
01-31-2018, 12:02 AM
Meditation has many benefits too, relief for stress and anxiety being among them. It helps me to become more peaceful and more attentive about everything in my life, it helps to understand my own mind.

Ponder
01-31-2018, 01:59 AM
Having sorted out some heavy stuff ... I've just started again. I also did a 10 minute meditation earlier today and a 15 minute one half way through the day. It really is my medication. It took a bit of convincing with my current GP, but she got the message today after taking in a support person who validated the work I have been doing as well as what they have been practicing with me. EFT. I need to do more than one practice ... but overall ... walking is a combination of all of them.

Glad some of you guys can also feel the benefits.

Dahila
01-31-2018, 09:56 AM
How nice new members , young ones and open-minded, I like it a lot :)

jonathangilbert
02-20-2018, 07:47 AM
I should walk more.

Ponder
07-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Laughs out loud at the sarcasm within this title of this thread. Bumps and notes it because I could do with a walk.

Time to take another step. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/funny/1/walking-zombie-smiley-emoticon.gif

salvator here
07-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Yeah need to get outside and walk again. Haven't been much lately. Miss it actually.

Dahila
07-02-2018, 11:50 AM
NOT walking...............33 Celsius, 40 in humidex, NOOOOOO walking can cure my "anxiety" Mr. P

Ponder
07-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Srry to hear about the heat D. Regulating body temperate is hardest for me in the heat. I think is the case for everyone. Here it got as hot as 52 degree Celsius last year. I remember posting about that. None the less it's all relative taking many factors into account. It sucks that walking is currently not an option for you. I'd hate to think it something your never able to do.

Right now my brain just needs regular bouts of moving through the air as doing so is reported to be bla bla and bla. Fact is I know it helps so will be doing it once I get off this thing. Even if I am just coasting on a bike.

It really sucks that its getting so hot where you live. I may be wrong but it seems the weather is either reaching all times highs and or lows across the world. Of course that leads to discussion / augments re climate change. My view on that is as a species we are destroying ourselves in so many other ways therefore care less about that debate. What ever way I look at it, with have already raped and pillaged this planet and just about everyone being that lives on it.

Things like love and compassion are seemingly no more than the plastic that does more to choke and clog up our world. From where I am sitting it looks more like BS at the moment.

BUT - I guess that is where walking comes in for me. Helps me to deal with all that byproduct and more. Helps me to deal with all that crap clogged up in my head. I kind of wish heat was all I had to worry about at the moment. That said I hope your able to acclimatize soon. We should all be so lucky to have things like air conditioning although I sometimes wonder how that plays into things when we do our best to reason our byprudct as no more than negligible - due to whatever.

Excuse me D - as currently I not right in the head. re my other thread.

Thanks for the reply.

Have a good day.

IAmCamille
07-30-2018, 11:45 PM
This is a nice insight! I was diagnosed with mild depression as well. As a coping mechanism, I usually look for the company of people as a way to disregard the negative thoughts coming into my mind. It had never occurred to me that solitude can also be helpful in my case. I will definitely try this out starting tomorrow!

HerbalCart
07-31-2018, 09:55 AM
Yes, you are absolutely right. Walking helps in reducing depression. But mostly people love to have pills at least once a day. I also take on daily basis of herbal pills of herbalcart.

salvator here
08-01-2018, 12:13 PM
This is a nice insight! I was diagnosed with mild depression as well. As a coping mechanism, I usually look for the company of people as a way to disregard the negative thoughts coming into my mind. It had never occurred to me that solitude can also be helpful in my case. I will definitely try this out starting tomorrow!I've learned to embrace the solitude. Some days, I wouldn't be able to deal with other people. Maybe one day, when I am reliable and can be a friend to another person, I would consider a walking buddy. Right now, I'm unstable and take on others troubles and unable to be support without following them. This I know for sure. Walking by myself, I don't have to worry about being analyzed by somebody. I have strange traits, I mutter under my breath. When alone I can pretend with my earpiece that I'm on the phone Lol :)

salvator here
08-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Been walking a mile or less starting Monday and I've already lost 4 pounds. Its such a good time to get in touch with outdoors and sounds that you miss indoors. I try to be mindful of the birds and breeze. Other people, well, just have to go with it for now. I'll say hello of somebody says it first, but people always look mean and unapproachable to me. I no longer take it personally, I realize some people want to be left alone. Been good to get sun and wind again. Just waking for my health really, the weigh loss is a bonus. I was hoping for a summer body this year but it didn't happen for some reason Lol :)

Imperfect
08-09-2018, 02:31 PM
That's inspiring news Sal. Thx heaps for posting about it. It was cold for me yesterday late afternoon but all the things you described kept me feeling good about my choice to get outside. It is also helping me. Somthing else that can help us and is FREE! :)

No chance you could take a photo of a tree or anything next time your out? Would be good to see some of where your walking. You got mobile phone with camera ability?

Understand if the process is a bit much

Thanks again for the encouragement. I really needed it.

Cheers. NOW I GET OUT OF BED :)

salvator here
08-09-2018, 03:07 PM
No chance you could take a photo of a tree or anything next time your out? Would be good to see some of where your walking. You got mobile phone with camera ability? You have a deal :) I don't have a mobile phone right now, but a digital camera that only needs a battery (I think), might be fun for me to add that goal. My walk is super pretty and the trees hang over. Sometimes I only go up and down my long road into the building and its winding, even looks nicer in the fall.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm excited about giving it a try.

Maybe someday I could do a vblog when I get better equipment to do so. Always wanted to and journal what goes though my mind while I walk. Not always good sad to say.

Imperfect
08-09-2018, 05:44 PM
..... :) I got out of bed and out the front door this morning.

No pressure man ... all in your own time. May I suggest if your not already a member to perhaps consider joining either:
IMGBB (https://imgbb.com/signup) image hosting site.
FLICKR (www.flickr.com) image hosting site.

Those image hosting sites are much better to display photos in forums. Using the forum attachment process in here does not display photos very well.

Here is a → GUIDE (http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?37290-101-How-To-Embed-Images-Into-Your-Forum-Posts!&highlight=image+hosting) I made up on how to post images into your forum posts. (Under my old user name Ponder') That guide is for Flikr which I use a LOT.

Here is how to sign up to Flickr:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut6NUTYjWkY

Although that one might be outdated ... the process is similar. Creating a Yahoo email is easy enough, however there are tutorials on how to create a Flikr account without a yahoo email ... I recommend just creating a yahoo email.

Anyways ... I go on too much. Srry about that. Just giving you all the info. Once you get the hang on hosting photos on your own online photo library and embedding your images straight into your posts ... you'll have more ways in which to express. It's also good to learn new things.

Here are two snap shots I took with my phone yesterday whilst out in the lower afternoon sun:

I used Photoshop to title the photos and use a filter to show more of what I was seeing. The larger central photo is a path I regularly walk which is placed high than most other streets/roads. This path allows me to catch the last bit of the sun before disappearing below the horizon. In the middle of this photo you will see a the last glimmer of sunlight reflecting way off in the distance. I zoomed in with my phone and used my Photoshop filters to bring out more of what I was actually gazing at whilst walking with the last bit of the suns rays on my back:

(Interestingly enough the building it is reflecting off is an old age care facility for near end of life)
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/854/30086155868_a2c3ddd2a6_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/MQBpXj)

The next one is more to show the tree line of the lake where I took other photos and posted in my journal thread ... were I sungaze/bathe and meditate:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/934/29016975847_14a8022035_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Ld8zZ2)

salvator here
01-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Rough even getting up today and wanting to stay up for that matter. Took a long time to get out of the house and get in the shower, but I made it out for a walk despite. Severe anxiety and panic and hyper-vigilant of everything and overly aware. Glad I did though and it subsided a little as the day progressed.

That being said..

First walk on Jan 1st in (many many) years. For many years I was hungover well into the new year and took days to come around. I think I should pat myself on the back and be proud :)

Ponder
01-04-2019, 12:24 PM
That's awesome Sal. Well done. My daughter left two beers in the fridge before going on holidays. They were the first and only beers I have had over the course of more than a year. I fell to sleep straight after and then remembered just how addictive alcohol can be.

I have seen over the months how my daughter slowly increases the amount to get the same affect. Thankfully she agreed when I expressed my concern. She is now drinking less ... but still struggles as 'the gene' is Very Strong in our family. Alcohol is hard enough on those less prone to addiction, let alone in family's with a history of mentall instability. That said...more and more people who think thier a cut above, are falling prone.

Each to thier own. I'm not in a rush to start drinking any more.

I note how much more I am seeing some of the relatives succumb to the drink. I see it a lot this time of year. Closet alcoholics.

Wine buffs think they hide it better. "Would you like drink?" "Would you like drink?" "Would you like drink?"

I think I too, shall pat mysel on the back.

Ponder
01-04-2019, 12:35 PM
I am however, still struggling with food. I will have to nail that early this year!

salvator here
01-04-2019, 10:40 PM
Same here Ponder, very strong in my genetics also.

Good you were able to stop, I wouldn't be able to stop so I must avoid it. I don't miss it at all but it was more of an escape from reality and life for me rather than something I ever enjoyed. I was getting coma drunk towards the end - then end meaning - when i was hospitalized (3 times in 2 years) with fatty liver and still to this day my liver function is off and I have tremors that are here to stay. Also beer wasn't cutting it so I picked up whiskey.

Good you recognized it quickly.

I've gotten out of shape as well but I think I can catch this before it gets out of control. I've been walking somewhat but tired quickly and been stiff and get sore on the walk back. I just should take it slow since I became a couch potato for a while there.

Wish you luck with everything :)

Ponder
01-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Keep posting and highlighting your walks Sal.

I feel like crap -= Up font I have been feeling angry and full of rage these last couple of days ... deep within. Been in a lot of residual pain both physical and mental.

I work it out ... going for a walk NOW!!!
__________________________________________________ ___

I am tethering on morbidly obese (I am already in the obese category - it's just today it does not show as much because most of us are. I feel it though!!!) ... I need to keep it in check and settle for my pudgy self right now ... only if I keep moving that is. That is to say If I move and remain pudgy ... that is OK ... I still reap the benefits of walking in many other ways. I know if I keep moving, I will eventually bounce back and lose the weight the NEEDS to come off. I am not happy when morbid ... let alone just hitting obese. Only because I know better and have nothing else in my life that really helps. I do ... but then again I don't. Only I can help myself in matters such as these ... Yet environment and others can influence us ... but careful not to let that be an excuse.

rar and rar ... bla and bla ... OK ... I get moving. Is as is just for me. No one else ... but also cheering for you and others with whatever your wishes.

Ponder
01-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Listening to now via txt to speech whilst out walking. Thought it was very appropriate.
https://walking.heartfoundation.org.au/benefits-of-walking/blog/walking-for-good-physical-and-mental-health

Edit ... The meeting others is less a deal for me ... the general being out of the house on the walkways is enough and even then I tend to rather be in nature as people today are generally very sick people and not healthy to be around. But that's just my take.

Walking for the physical sensation and what that does, is all I am promoting here. Physco-socialization is something I feel is being overly pushed. The more society forces people to integrate; the more many of us will retract. In this ... society is still very oppressive. It labels people as sick and then alienates them for not mixing with the status quo.

I will talk more about this in my thread as I came upon some really interesting info whilst out walking = BY MYSELF!

Ponder
01-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Read the edit above.

salvator here
01-05-2019, 09:01 PM
I really feel the same way, walking.. just me and my music is quite enough for my liking. Sometimes the occasional hello from a passerby is fine!

Ponder
01-06-2019, 01:13 AM
Yea ... leave the rest for the go get em tony robins extroverts. Leave the grounding to us introverts. :)

NickNgaruiya
03-14-2019, 07:27 AM
How to know that any person going in depression. Are any symptoms?

Ponder
03-15-2019, 04:54 AM
How to know that any person going in depression. Are any symptoms?

Forgive me as I don't read well. Are you asking how to know if someone has depression?

Edit in the off chance that's what your asking ... everyone has the capacity for depression. Depression becomes more an issue when the symptoms of depression begin to impact on ones ability to function in daily life. Some examples would be when it affects your sleep, you start thinking negatively a lot of the time, your previous routine slips where you then begin making unhealthy life style practices and so on. Relationships begin to break down and so on.

It's not just about how your feeling right now, but once again more about the long term nature of the way you have been and the impact you are having on yourself and others around you. Learning to observe from this perspective helps me to get a grip myself. Not always, but it's a start with learning to live with such mental instability.

Are you here to make efforts in addressing your own needs or a friends?

Best of luck dealing with what ever ... it takes effort despite the options for pills. You can do both if you find it helps. Just be sure to read the side affects, learn how to use medication and get popper support if your looking for pills.

NickNgaruiya
03-19-2019, 05:35 AM
Thanks for your great information.

salvator here
10-04-2019, 10:46 PM
Been walking every day and even if I don't go very far, just being outside during the day makes me feel like I accomplished something. I don't usually walk outside at night because of wild animals. By that I mean, the Creatures are scared of ME... Lol =D

MainerMikeBrown
10-05-2019, 06:31 AM
I think it's good that you walk everyday, even if you don't go far, Sal. It is good to feel like you've accomplished something by walking. I can relate.

salvator here
09-11-2020, 04:41 PM
I think it's good that you walk everyday, even if you don't go far, Sal. It is good to feel like you've accomplished something by walking. I can relate.Thanks, Mike, sorry I didn't even catch this posting until now :(

I'm walking every day. Not too far (yet) but, yes, I do feel like its worth it and I've accomplished something. I went a long time and took too long of a break from walking and now I'm a bit weak. Need to get my strength back. The weather has still be quiet nice for September here so I can still enjoy it :)

Memaw52
11-10-2021, 08:35 AM
Walking is part of my routine too. I also lift weights, swim, and some gardening.

Ponder
11-10-2021, 01:46 PM
Walking whilst has been very useful in the past and gone a long way to easing 'natural states of being' ← (although less desirable but nevertheless what I consider, incurable but rather a fact of life which I intend to write about in my journal this morning) , I find more and more as I age and history takes it's toll, that I have become more accepting of the lulls I find myself in. Currently walking is more challenging because it makes me more vulnerable with moments of engaging with other fellow beings. Cycling on the other hand whilst has other risks, I find for now is an option that makes me less susceptible to the hazards of engaging with people as they be re CV19 and it's residual narrative as that currently be.

I'll be working on brief moments of backyard exposure and perhaps better meal and beverage choices. :)

All the best with whatever works.

salvator here
11-11-2021, 08:22 AM
Walking is part of my routine too. I also lift weights, swim, and some gardening.I have not been in the ocean and pool in so very long I can hardly recall. I need to walk again, but I don't feel safe anymore in public, so I usually just stay in my complex nowadays. I do have some simple weights to get strength back but the doctors say I need PT badly, but when they usually don't know what to do with me and think I'm retarded. Oh well, we'll see.