PDA

View Full Version : How the TItan Prometheus and his Vulture can help us accept our mental health

Barong Baj Baj
11-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Hi all, hope your having a lovely day or evening. New video here!

https://youtu.be/eU2UQL9JkMs

The Titan Prometheus has a sad tale. He steals fire, gives it to man and is tormented by a vulture for his crime. I think the poem by Ted Hughes highlights some important themes when it comes down to mental health. Pain, sacrifice and most importantly acceptance. Have a great evening and be kind to yourself.

gypsylee
11-24-2017, 03:39 PM
All Prometheus wanted to do is die though lol. I know the poem probably has more in-depth stuff ;)

Ponder
11-25-2017, 05:29 AM
All Prometheus wanted to do is die though lol. I know the poem probably has more in-depth stuff ;)

Yes ... but I think you make an excellent point.

I found this to be an interesting take on such an old poem. I think any poem will always mean different things to different people.

I like the poem and left a comment to that effect. I'll say this though. The weighing of such pain will never be justified by seeing a few rays of light at the end of time. It's OK if you can't digest that. To do so requires actually having your liver repeatedly eaten.

Barong Baj Baj
11-25-2017, 06:37 AM
hahaha i agree but if we look at Hughes point of view we can get something positive out of the tragic situation. hopefully lolololol

Ponder
11-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Totally. But how to quantify? How to weigh? What is that view? It can be hard to get the picture when not viewing from Hughes position.

How do we see beyond the cliche of what doese not kill us, makes us stronger. Without a doubt this poem offers more substance than that but on the other scale its hard to digest.

How do we come to respect that which hurts us in order that we submit; as is the purpose of punishment? The language fails in terms of recovery when people today are in a state of submission. A police state in many countries. War torn refugees and nations consistently directing others to back down and are on and on. All built on the backs of believing and fearing some form of imposing power.

Thats how that poems starts. ....and he was punished .... man punishes ... not some mythical God for such authority is our own creation. We the authors. The poem for all it's positive spin can be used as a context for people to know thy place and or to justify pain. Religion and secular philosophies do that well.

Universally a failing theme for today's mentally ill. Such a view goes unseen. It remains too deep.

I still like it for its provocative nature. Perhaps better understanding the time in which it was written and how humans then lived would give a better perspective. Just as it is with say the King James Version.

Yea ... let's foster hope. I'm down with that. A little devine glow with a sense of dignity that handles whatever direction it takes.

gypsylee
11-27-2017, 12:41 PM
I thought I’d post the lyrics to a song about Prometheus by Wendy Rule:

———

So, you've come again
Tear me with talons and slap me with feathers
Once I could depend on death,
My friend.

So, you've come again
Time becomes reckoned on wings that are beating
And the day begins.. Screaming

Oh I am still here (a thousand years)