PDA

View Full Version : Car Accident

gypsylee
11-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Hi Everyone,

Saturday night I managed to get myself into a pretty serious car crash. I was stupid, trying to text message, and the next thing I knew I’d lost control of the car, oversteered and it rolled. I was doing about 100kph so I was extremely lucky I barely had a scratch on me. I spent the night in hospital and had all the tests done to make sure my head and spine were ok. Several doctors said it was a miracle.

Now I sort of don’t know how to feel. I’ve had some pretty bad anxiety because I’m fairly sure my car will be a write-off and I don’t have the money for another one. I keep trying to think about how much worse it could have been and how cars are replaceable but bodies aren’t. My head just keeps focusing on the bad though eg. How will I get places? How am I going to get another car??

The main moral of the story I guess, is DO NOT TEXT AND DRIVE. I’ve had my licence 20 years and never caused an accident. I’ve been told numerous times I’m a good driver. But a few seconds of texting and I was almost a goner (and it was very lucky there weren’t other cars around me).

I’m mostly writing this for my own benefit because it’s the middle of the night and I was in the midst of an anxiety/depression attack. I feel like I could turn this into a positive but as I say, my thoughts keep going to the negative.

Thanks for reading.. Any wise words from my fellow anxiety-sufferers most welcome :)

Gypsy x

P.S. My signature has new meaning lol. When you see your windscreen hit the road you know fear!

MainerMikeBrown
11-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Not only have I never texted while driving - I've never texted at all. I'm not tech savvy.

You're right, gypsylee, you are lucky. It could have been so much worse. Maybe after a while you'll start to feel more lucky than worried.

I'm glad you are OK.

gypsylee
11-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Thanks Mike :)

I’ve had quite a positive day since writing that.

gypsylee
11-21-2017, 10:44 AM
I think I might be learning the meaning of mindfulness. I normally wake with bad anxiety but I’ve been able to calm down quickly by thinking - “I am here and I am safe.. All the rest is just noise in my head.” I hope I can work with this more!

Ponder
11-21-2017, 12:13 PM
A sobering experience gypsy. Some things money can't replace. I'm also glad you came out of it the way you have.

Anne1221
11-21-2017, 08:47 PM
Gypsy...thank goodness you are okay. Keep focusing on the fact that the doctors said it was a miracle and it sure sounds like one. Thanks for warning us also. I firmly believe I have issues with things like wanting to send/read a text more than others because of my anxiety. Glad you are trying to keep positive.

gypsylee
11-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Thank you as always, Ponder and Anne.

Anne - Do be really careful with even reading texts. As I say, I can hold my own pretty well in a car and it was nearly the end of me. It was also while I was in a hurry and was annoyed with the person at the other end, so it’s best to make sure you can’t even access it eg. Put it in your bag in the back or even turn it off.

Ponder - Sobering indeed!

Oh and I have a friend who’s a mechanic, who’s selling me a very similar (if not better) car for a great price :cool:

Anne1221
11-22-2017, 04:34 PM
wow, that is great news about the car!!

martin05
11-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Is it illegal to hold a phone and drive in Aus?

gypsylee
11-24-2017, 03:05 PM
Yes and I’m getting a big fat fine and demerit points. I was in no state to think up a lie like “I dropped my smoke” :(

Ponder
11-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Very happy you have an option re a car.

From what I see on the roads one would think its legal to drive while making a sandwich, reading a book and texting all at the same time.

Perhaps could of said "I dropped a bong." :)

gypsylee
11-25-2017, 03:25 PM
“I dropped my crack pipe”.

You do live in Queensland though.. Worst drivers ever.

salvator here
11-29-2017, 08:07 AM
I'm glad you're ok :) Hope you will have the strength to deal with the aftermath.

gypsylee
11-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Hey Salvator! Thanks.. Yeah the shock and stress is getting better and I’m gradually dealing with the aftermath. Not having a car where I live is pretty shit but the new one is lined up for registration next Tuesday. Tomorrow I will be reunited with the old one, which is gonna be emotional (I loved that car) but I’m so grateful to it for protecting me.

Ponder
11-30-2017, 01:53 AM
lol ... & yes I agree. I have lived in NSW, QLD & VIC. QLD drivers have much to learn or could care less to drive in a straight line.

Yeaaaa your accident sounds full on with rolling it and all! Again ... very pleased you are seemingly OK. The thoughts of reliving the event would have to be full on. I guess lessons in there somewhere gypsy. Perhaps a little more color in your days here and there. Hoping the new color does not fade in a hurry. :)

gypsylee
11-30-2017, 02:57 PM
I’m off to see the wreck that was my car today :eek:

The memory of it is already fading but I’ll never forget seeing my windscreen hit the road.

gypsylee
12-01-2017, 12:07 AM
I don’t know how to post pics here but I put some on my webpage (under “Journal (Cont)”).

Can anyone tell me how to post them on here? Ponder? :D

martin05
12-01-2017, 09:22 AM
I don’t know how to post pics here but I put some on my webpage (under “Journal (Cont)”).

Can anyone tell me how to post them on here? Ponder? :D

Get your image url and paste it in between the tags

Ponder
12-02-2017, 12:22 AM

101 How To Embed Images Into Your Forum Posts!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4565/38743408792_fa1f9301de.jpg (http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?37290-101-How-To-Embed-Images-Into-Your-Forum-Posts!)

Not only will you know how to embed images gypsy, your posts will look like polished blog entries.

gypsylee
12-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Wow, thanks Ponder (and Martin) :cool:

Ok I’ve made my Flickr account but haven’t got much further...

gypsylee
12-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Trying to embed image!!!!

martin05
12-02-2017, 11:54 PM
Why am I not seeing an image? Are you still struggling?!!

Ponder
12-03-2017, 12:35 AM
Hmmm - If there is anything unclear about the steps I made up gypsy please let me know? What seems to be the trouble as far as you can tell.

What steps have you taken after creating Flickr account?

Sign In ... Did you locate the 'Upload Icon"?

and then make it as far as 'Photostream' ?

Srry I did not check in sooner.

gypsylee
12-03-2017, 04:12 PM
Part of the problem I had was looking at the pics was giving me anxiety.. So I really appreciate your help but I think I’ll just leave it for now. There are a few on my journal (on webpage) if you’re curious.

Ponder
12-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Understood. Nice pics, Nice Blog & Very Nice Person! :)

gypsylee
12-03-2017, 08:51 PM
There’s a pic there of the cracked windscreen - which was what I remember seeing - except it was on the road at the time. That image will never leave my mind and was the moment I thought I was about to die (or worse eg. Become paralysed).

Again, thanks for the time you took to help me.. At least you got something out of making the post :)

Anne1221
12-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Gypsy, I saw the car pictures on your webpage. You are so fortunate that you came away okay. It could have been so horrible for you! I am so glad you were okay even though your car was not.

gypsylee
12-03-2017, 09:34 PM
Gypsy, I saw the car pictures on your webpage. You are so fortunate that you came away okay. It could have been so horrible for you! I am so glad you were okay even though your car was not.

I know.. It could have been soooo much worse. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I will have another car.. It was sad saying goodbye to the old one (I loved that car) but I thanked it for saving me. Lots of mixed feelings about this whole thing but mainly gratitude.

Ponder
12-03-2017, 10:06 PM
I am having trouble finding the windscreen pic gypsy. Is it at the web address in your sig? Any chance you could add a link here to the page that has your windscreen pic?

martin05
12-03-2017, 11:30 PM
That makes sense, Gyps. I was only ribbing. Sorry if I contributed to your anxiety.

Let us know if you manage to get your new wheels today!

gypsylee
12-04-2017, 12:53 AM
Oh, it wasn’t among the ones I uploaded, Ponder. Here you go - it’s down the bottom: https://gypsylee.simdif.com/journal_cont.html

S’ok Martin :) The new car appointment is tomorrow. If I get the car home I will definitely tell you all hehe.

Ponder
12-04-2017, 04:51 AM
.............................................. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/brown/horrified-smiley-emoticon.png

gypsylee
12-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Just venting.. I have to go to VicRoads this afternoon to register the new car and I’m so anxious. Hopefully afterwards I’ll have the car but god, I really hate these places so much. Wish me luck everybody!

Anne1221
12-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Just saw the cracked windshield!! Oh my goodness...I've never been in any car accident like that!

salvator here
12-04-2017, 09:48 PM
Good lucky, Gypsy!

I just looked at the pictures now. Wow!!

Ponder
12-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Good luck Gypsy!

gypsylee
12-07-2017, 10:25 PM
I made it to my psych and back in one piece :) Was really nervous about driving but I did it!

Ponder
12-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Given your recent events ... that's really saying something! :)