PDA

View Full Version : Hypochondria, Obsessing Over Irrational Thoughts

lizee
10-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Hi,

So... I am stupid and I watched a documentary on schizophrenia and now I am convinced that I have it even though I do not actually have symptoms of it. I am for some reason so convinced that I have it and it is driving me nuts! When I am distracted, I have none of the "symptoms" that I have tricked myself into having.

Has anyone else learned how to deal with obsessing over irrational thoughts?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

kconnors100
10-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Hi . . . not sure if you will ever see this as my posts more often than not get lost in the void between posting and actually getting them on the forum . . . . first, though, you are not "stupid" . . . anxiety makes us look for reasons why we are feeling the way we feel so we hook on to any explanation and then we grow into the condition . . . . . . over the years, I have avoided doing Google searches on medical issues and watching documentaries on illnesses . . . I have had similar experiences of hooking onto symptoms and then making them mine . . . are you working with a therapist / counselor to develop strategies to manage your tendency to become obsessed with symptoms? Distracting yourself is a great way to disconnect yourself from these symptoms . . . check in when you can and let us know how you are doing . . . take care, kc

gypsylee
10-20-2017, 03:21 AM
Hey and welcome :)

I lived with a Schizophrenic and trust me, it’s quite obvious and people would be telling you.

Take it easy,
Gypsy x

Anne1221
10-20-2017, 05:55 PM
You do not have schizophrenia, you have anxiety. When you have schizophrenia, you are UNAWARE you have it. My cousin had it. I can tell from your post you don't have it, but boy, your anxiety will work hard to frighten you into believing you do have it.

gypsylee
10-20-2017, 07:11 PM
You do not have schizophrenia, you have anxiety. When you have schizophrenia, you are UNAWARE you have it. My cousin had it. I can tell from your post you don't have it, but boy, your anxiety will work hard to frighten you into believing you do have it.

Yep. It used to be one of my favourite fears. I figure by now (44yo) someone would have said something if I did have it though!

Im-Suffering
10-21-2017, 03:51 AM
Hi,

So... I am stupid and I watched a documentary on schizophrenia and now I am convinced that I have it even though I do not actually have symptoms of it. I am for some reason so convinced that I have it and it is driving me nuts! When I am distracted, I have none of the "symptoms" that I have tricked myself into having.

Has anyone else learned how to deal with obsessing over irrational thoughts?

Please let me know.

Thank you!

2 issues blocking the ability to think clearly.

Fear

Anxiety

Irrational fears from (false) beliefs. Maturity, is to find your own beliefs, what you call a sense of self. And not ride blindly the tidal wave of others beliefs that you have 'picked up' and made your own over the years, such as those from parent figures. Thoughts only seem irrational because those beliefs do not fit or serve you, causing anxiety between will and experience.

Anxiety and it's rush to action or thought based on those beliefs.

I am not claiming panacea here, just to learn to put the pieces of your life together.

It's either you cram puzzle pieces that don't fit together and get a confusing (or anxious)result, or you fit them correctly through careful examination and your life is cohesive, emotionally speaking.

You begin to ask 'what are my beliefs (about everything) and are they good or bad for me? Do they come from my direct experience or well meaning others teachings over the years. Beliefs are not facts, but interpretations, you see. And each is individual. What works for one (say your mother), may not work with you, causing you discomfort and angst because of the tension between your mother's beliefs you have accepted as truth about life, and your direct daily experience. No wonder so many suffer this tension or anxiety.

Right and wrong, you begin to learn about you, what feels right, through experience and feedback from the world. The bad thoughts are the conflicting beliefs that must be examined. Conflicting in that they different from the real world feedback and what your mother taught you about the world, you see? As an example. This is the basis for insecurity and anxiety as you want to trust your self and what you experience, but according to someone else you should be receiving different feedback. This tension, called conflicting beliefs is the issue to work on.

Remember, I use mother as an example. You have had many teachers, friends, family, strangers, eager to fill you with their own beliefs.

Im-Suffering
10-21-2017, 04:43 AM
Yep. It used to be one of my favourite fears. I figure by now (44yo) someone would have said something if I did have it though!

I do hope doctors of the future, past our lifetime I'm afraid, will become 'belief docrors'. This will cure much of civilizations woes including the illusive diseases such as cancer.

Our cells are programmed toward optimum health, our cells have their own 'brain' in each, coded with DNA that would keep the body healthy through a long life, if not for the many conflicting social conditions and beliefs about life. The main brain, the one you think is in your head, reprograms sending conflicting signals to the other millions of brains in your body. You, the spirit that lives in it, bring the information in and change your own futures.

Because beliefs are treated as facts, and people pick them up very early on, no one questions them.

When you begin to however, immediately you think yourself schizophrenic. However it is a natural healthy way of questioning the false beliefs, you see. Spring cleaning, if you will.