PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Anxiety (depression?)

newnoise
11-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Hey everyone,
my name's cameron and I'm 16 years old.

I come to you with a major problem in my life; anxiety. To my knowledge my anxiety problems started when I was in 6th grade, when I experienced my first panic attack.

Since then my anxiety has seemed to come and go, without any real explanation as to why. I can go months, and even whole years, at a time without feeling any anxiety, whatsoever. But when it does return, it's usually without any explanation, just as when it leaves. My symptoms include those that would generally attributed to an anxiety disorder; I fear certain tasks for no apparent reason, I fear getting in cars, buses, classes or generally anywhere that I might not easily be able to escape from and, I almost always have a sense of anxiety surrounding me throughout the day. Specific to my case though, my anxiety tends to be most apparent in my eyes. It's sort of hard to explain, but it tends to build up more and more to the point where I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack (which I usually proceed to do directly after). This strange manifestation of anxiety in my eyes can be felt throughout the day, but I'm usually able to ignore it or calm myself to the point where I can manage it.

My anxiety has most recently reemerged at the beginning of this school year (which leads me to believe that school itself could have been a trigger.) I was mostly able to deal with it considering I've had to do it so many times before. A month into it though I began to feel very strange. Along with my anxiety I was experiencing extreme sadness to the point where I felt like breaking down and sobbing at certain points in the day. After about a week or so of that, it seemed to subside. But again, a new strange feeling began to creep it's way into my life. I began to have this irrational fear that, for some reason, I would lose the desire to remain friends with my best mates. I would dwell and agonize over this feeling all throughout the day, causing what I can only describe as an everlasting "bad feeling" in the pit of my stomach. Although I knew that these thoughts were completely irrational and that I still loved my friends, I couldn't keep them [the thoughts] away. Again, after a week or two those thoughts and feelings went away also. But they were only to reappear as a fear that I didn't enjoy music anymore (I should note that music is one of the most cathartic things in my life and I wouldn't be able to live without it). I knew also that these thoughts and feelings were irrational and odd, but I still couldn't shake them. Once again, those feelings disappeared, now only to come back as a fear that I might not like a girl whom I've had feelings for since before my anxiety burst back into my life. I have no idea how or why these feelings keep coming back, but I'm at my wit's end. Also, the same anxiety still persists, all of these strange feelings are just an added bonus.
Tonight I broke down and began to cry, I can't really take all of this anymore. Life is just not enjoyable when having to live it like this, especially when you're a teenage kid.

If someone could please explain to me what all of this is, why it's happening and what I should do about it, if it's part of anxiety, if it's depression or if it's just plain old me, that would be great.

Also, I am seeing a counselor, but it doesn't really seem to help all that much.

P.S. thank you for reading all of this, it means allot to me that a stranger could care about my problems.

peace and respect,
cam.

newnoise
11-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Jeez, sorry if anyone is having a hard time understanding what I was trying to say. I was in a bad way last night and my grammar/punctuation skills were a bit off.

kaialian
11-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi Cam,

I am so sorry with what you are going through! In the past I have felt this sadness you speak of. My sadness stems from my wishing my anxiety would simply disappear and that others must have a better life than me. I would get sad and upset that I was not in control of my thoughts and feelings.

Seeing a counsellor is a great step. Many people who experience anxiety have trouble doing that. I would suggest sticking with it. Everything does take time. You didn't just suddenly have anxiety, it built up over time, so it will take time to get better.

I don't have an answer to why we get anxiety, though I wish I did. Anxiety can be pretty confusing because it creates so many different sensations in the body. I am by no means an expert on anxiety, my knowledge comes from my own experiences. From what I can tell is anxiety only gets worse the more we think about it. And the more we think about it, the greater the body sensations we feel.

What I can suggest for you is to try to accept your feelings and not fear them. This is hard to do (I'm currently working on it). Also, have you spoken with your parents about what you are feeling? Family can be a good support.

A book I would like to suggest is called "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" You can look it up on Amazon.

Take care!

newnoise
11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
Thank you so much!

Yeah, that's what I'm working on right now, also. It seems to have at least some affect and hopefully I'll be able to make more progress in the coming weeks.

Also, yes, I have spoken with my parents (mostly my mom) about it. Thankfully she's very helpful on the subject and really was the main reason I decided to go to the counselor.

I suppose allot of the anxiety is centered around the fear that these feelings won't ever go away and I'll have to live with them plaguing my life forever. And I know they won't, not if I work at it, sometimes it just seems a bit unrealistic to hope that they will.

Best of luck to you in coping with and getting rid of your anxiety.

thanks again,
much love,

cam.

newnoise
11-18-2008, 05:40 PM
hello again, I didn't really want to be a bother and start a new thread, so I'll just post in this one.

I was just wondering, with all of the strange thoughts and feelings that anxiety brings along, how does one go about differentiating between these and real legitimate feelings or thoughts?

Also, I've been feeling sort of down today and have received two different kinds of advice regarding feeling this way. Some people suggest engaging the way you feel, realizing it is a part of you and accepting that fact, then letting it go. But some people suggest fighting it, not letting yourself feel this way at all, blocking it on all fronts and staying positive.

What do you think is the better method?

One more question! (sorry, I'm asking so many hah)
How do I diagnose whether I have GAD, or not? Would I have my counsellor, a psychiatrist or just my regular family doctor do it?
thanks!!

peace and respect,
cam.

northstar
11-19-2008, 05:37 AM
I was just wondering, with all of the strange thoughts and feelings that anxiety brings along, how does one go about differentiating between these and real legitimate feelings or thoughts?

the best answer i can think of is therapy!! lol. it really helped me. i used to be plagued with worries and i blew things much much more out of proportion than anyone else i knew. i went to see a psychotherapist for a year and it really helped me engage with the more rational side of myself. so now although i still am a bit of a worrier i don't blow things up anymore and have been much better at dealing with stress and worries.

what i found with anxiety, and i think most people do too, is that you KNOW the thoughts are irrational because they seem crazy even though it's you who's thinking them yet still you can't let go of them. so really you're already differentiating between the legitimate thoughts but you feel powerless to stop the more irrational ones. cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) is recommended to help stop these kinds of thoughts, evilbob is the member on the site to ask about it, he's currently going to sessions and finding them really excellent. you can ask your doctor about CBT also, they should be able to reccommend someone in your area.

Also, I've been feeling sort of down today and have received two different kinds of advice regarding feeling this way. Some people suggest engaging the way you feel, realizing it is a part of you and accepting that fact, then letting it go. But some people suggest fighting it, not letting yourself feel this way at all, blocking it on all fronts and staying positive.

i know this sounds odd, but i found that really it's a mixture of the two lol. basically ignoring the anxiety altogether is a bad idea. i discovered that bottling it up only leads to bad results and doesn't help you at all. it'll all come out eventually anyway lol. accepting how you feel is the beginning of recovery i believe, don't hide from it. but with acceptance you also need to start dealing with it and being proactive about recovering. so in this sense you need to start fighting it with positivity and proactivity. distracting yourself from the feeling with positive things is a great idea. like taking up a new hobby that you really enjoy so you're getting out and about more, doing things that you like and not allowing yourself time to dwell on the negative feelings. so really the best way to handle it in my own opinion is to accept it and then start dealing with it. you're still so young and sound quite positive and intelligent, i have no doubt that you'll be ok :) you can take a look at all the different ways to help with anxiety here: http://www.anxietyforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4087

How do I diagnose whether I have GAD, or not? Would I have my counsellor, a psychiatrist or just my regular family doctor do it?
thanks!!

talk to your family doctor first, they can chat to you about your own personal situation and you can decide together the best route to take and they can refer you to the right kind of therapist :) i really hope this helps a little, i'm sorry to see you feeling so down. but know that it is possible to get better :)

newnoise
11-22-2008, 11:07 AM
thanks again to kaialian and north star!

okay, I'm a bit afraid everyone will find me quite annoying after posting again with more questions/concerns. But, if nothing else it makes me feel at least a little better having a place to vent my frustrations.

here it goes,
friday morning my parents left to go on a four day vacation for my mom's birthday. This made me a little nervous from the offset because my parents are usually the ones who I feel like I can call in the event of me having a panic attack out in public and with them leaving I wouldn't be able to reach them. Well, that night I went out to eat with my friends, something I can normally do with feeling only slight symptoms of anxiety. But this time was different. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I knew I couldn't call my parents and have them be able to talk me through an attack, or what, but I had one. It was really the first time I've ever let my friends know that I was having one and to my surprise they were pretty supportive, a little confused, but supportive.

So I left the restaurant to go outside and get some air and try to calm down. It helped, but I was still feeling verrrrry anxious, so I decided to call my grandmother and have her pick me up. After getting home I tried to calm myself even more with chamomile tea, breathing exercises etc. and that also helped. I got myself to the point where I felt like I could lay down and get some sleep, which I did.

I woke up this morning with a start and the anxiety came flooding back. I began to fear that I wouldn't be able to go out anymore without having an attack, and that I'd become a shut in. After like 20 minutes of pacing around the house I managed to get myself outside and go for a run to try and clear my head. After getting back I've managed to calm myself to the point where I can function again. But I still can't shake this fear of "will I have a panic attack everytime I go outside or hang out with my friends?"

are these the beginnings of agoraphobia, or am I just reacting with those same anxious thoughts to an isolated event?

I'm a bit afraid right now because I've never really felt anxiety to this magnitude before, any advice would help.

thanks again,
cam.