PDA

View Full Version : Long term??

BB
11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Hi I'm new to this forum, so I'm sorry if I have repeated things others have already asked.

To an extent I have suffered anxiety for a while, but generally only in extreme situations (funerals, confined spaces, disorientation etc). After the birth of my DD I started having panic attacks and anxiety. Almost 2 years on, I still don't feel right. Does it ever go away? I don't always feel anxious, but I obsess about feeling anxious that I end up anxious - if that makes sense...

I have been thinking alot lately about having another child, and am wondering whether that is what is triggering it to be so bad now.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments - I just feel like I need to talk to someone about it, but don't want to burden my family and friends...

northstar
11-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Hi BB, sorry to see you feeling so low! the truth about your question is that there is unfortunately no real answer. the amount of time is different for everyone. but try not to focus on that (although i know it's hard not to), just focus on accepting how you are feeling now and working on how to make it better :)

i'm just wondering what you have been doing in the last 2 years to work on the anxiety and panic attacks? have you seen a counsellor or doctor about it? or have you looked at relaxation methods or diet or any of the lots of other things that can help? if you share a little bit more about yourself and your situation we might be able to offer more advice :)

also please don't look at talking to your loved ones as burdening them, that's a very critical view to take on your problems, you should be kinder to yourself and allow yourself to reach out for support when you need it most - you would do your utmost if you thought one of your loved ones was in a similar situation i bet :) you should treat yourself as kindly as you would treat any of your friends or family, you really need to be good to yourself right now.

i hope this helps even a little :)

BB
11-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks for replying northstar, when my DD was first born, I told the Dr how I felt, and after a while I tried some medication, but it made me feel worse than ever - so under his instruction I stopped taking it, and vowed to myself never to take any again - unless I felt that I was beginning a danger to others (which other than mood swings hasn't happened!!).

I saw a counsellor for a while, until I started feeling much better, I have seen her once when the thought of having another child sent me into a panic attack - I guess because that was when it all really started, I expect it to happen again - & I never want to go back to how it was when I was having panic attacks all the time.

I haven't really done much in the way of relaxation methods (other than what the counsellor showed me) or diet other than taking vitamins, because I heard they helped. Can you recommend a place to find out more about these options??

I guess the main reason I don't want to talk to people about it is, that I don't want to believe it is still an issue...I like to pretend I'm fine... But also that everytime I say anything to my husband, his response is usually that his job is stressful enough, he doesn't want stress at home, and I should go to the dr or counsellor if I don't feel ok...but most of the time just telling someone how I feel, and what I'm thinking makes me feel an awful lot better - like it is a weight off my shoulders...