PDA

View Full Version : Too much free time!

ovenbakedbread
07-17-2017, 03:51 PM
I've been unemployed for a few months now. I see a personal trainer once a week because that's all I can afford. There are no good hiking/walking/biking trails near me so I stick to walking around m neighborhood which is not an ideal place to walk because of the high traffic/no sidewalk deal. Also, my friends are always busy or too far away (can't afford to fill up my gas tank every week). I've been searching for jobs and I've even interviewed for a few but I didn't get them :P and I can't start taking classes until fall. I've tried to find a hobby but I can't find anything I like to do that I can actually afford haha. I know I'm being whiney, but I just tend to get in a bad headspace whenever I have a lot of time to myself and I get depressed. Does anyone else get like this? How do you deal?

gypsylee
07-17-2017, 06:41 PM
Hiya, yeah I know what you mean. I'm on a disability pension (for anxiety/depression) so I have a LOT of free time and I do go a bit nuts. I'm in a precarious situation with my teenage daughter and my elderly mother though, so I have to be available. I don't really have any "hobbies" either but I talk to a lot of people online and try to look after myself. One day a week I go to mum's and do chores for her. Reading has kept me occupied a lot this year and at one stage I was getting through a 300 page novel every couple of days.

I think a lot of people need to keep themselves constantly busy in our culture in order to not think about stuff (and get bored/depressed). That's not really the answer, in my opinion, because it's just distraction and comes from the whole "idle hands are the Devil's workshop" concept. Moderation is probably the key and we do need something to keep us busy but not all day, every day.

Volunteer work or part-time work is probably ideal if you ask me.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

Boo Bass
07-17-2017, 07:20 PM
Im in jail almost 3 months now. Its tough finding ways to pass the time

martin05
07-18-2017, 01:06 AM
Im in jail almost 3 months now. Its tough finding ways to pass the time

How much longer to go?

Boo Bass
07-18-2017, 02:03 AM
Hi Martin

Thanks for your concern

The problem is that trials in this awful country just go on for ages so Im just a detainee. The waiting is awful as you can imagine

At least I have an illicit cellphone

BB

iwanttobeok
07-18-2017, 02:42 AM
At least I have an illicit cellphone

BB

n o i c e ;)

gypsylee
07-18-2017, 04:23 AM
BB I sent you an email..

josh0745
07-24-2017, 08:11 AM
I play Pokemon on my phone, it's free and highly addictive.

Josh

Anne1221
07-24-2017, 08:33 PM
If you can get into any type of arts and crafts, that is fun and soooo relaxing! Some places have classes. Just go to a store and pick something out to try.

Queensboro Flanuer
07-26-2017, 08:34 PM
Have you considered knitting? My uncle started knitting to relieve PTSD/anxiety after Vietnam, and he still does it to this day! It's a very meditative movement (check out some of the studies they've done on knitting and mental health!), and the initial investment cost of knitting needles is not too high. There are good tutorials on YouTube, which is how I learned. Plus, you end up with things you can wear or give as gifts!

Ponder
07-26-2017, 10:25 PM
Go for a walk - I usually always find things to do however even then my mind is never quite satisfied. Because I have done pretty much everything I can think of, I find reinventing the moment is a great way to get by. It does not work though if I am not in the mood. If I am not in the mood I will go outside and get some sun. Then from there I will go for a walk.

Waking cost nothing and requires no other things. It's also great for helping you to solve problems. Like what to do!

ssMarilyn
08-04-2017, 02:47 PM
I've been unemployed for a few months now. I see a personal trainer once a week because that's all I can afford. There are no good hiking/walking/biking trails near me so I stick to walking around m neighborhood which is not an ideal place to walk because of the high traffic/no sidewalk deal. Also, my friends are always busy or too far away (can't afford to fill up my gas tank every week). I've been searching for jobs and I've even interviewed for a few but I didn't get them :P and I can't start taking classes until fall. I've tried to find a hobby but I can't find anything I like to do that I can actually afford haha. I know I'm being whiney, but I just tend to get in a bad headspace whenever I have a lot of time to myself and I get depressed. Does anyone else get like this? How do you deal?

I was always busy, busy. When I had to take medical retirement, I opened an online gift shop, plus was busy doing web design. The shop did very well for years and then suddenly business just kind of died. I closed the shop and the web design business slowed down too, with so many of these 'design your own website' companies around. On top of all this, I had two very old dogs that needed daily shots and meds and just watching over them, so that kept me busy. Now they have both died, no online shop and very slow website business. I started having horrible anxiety and agoraphobia. I can't fly, can't go to concerts, movies, etc.. That old saying I have heard for years and years hit me.. 'An idle mind is the devil's workshop'. I went from very, very busy to doing almost NOTHING now and I do believe that is why anxiety reared its ugly head. I want so badly to feel normal again... with no anxiety, no fears. I hate this....

The Intolerable Kid
08-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Gardening can be a rewarding and time consuming hobby. It's peaceful work and a lot of good things can come from it.

Twichard
08-07-2017, 12:22 PM
Im a carer for my son and I also have so much time with very little to do I understand my position is so much different than you're one although I feel a prisoner I often can't go out of my home for several months I also sent you a pm to let you know that I understand you're position