PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

onii
07-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Is this normal? I get really really anxious after reading, watching, listening to scary things (paranormal or things like serial killers). Especially at night. A little after learning about those things I start to get heart palpitations and I start avoiding mirrors, reflections, and look behind doors and curtains out of fear something is behind them. Even though I do avoid reflections I can't help but look into them and see if something is wrong. Sometimes I think I hear something but I don't know what it is. I'm so interested in those topics but I can't handle it.

Also during these times sometimes a hot sensation overcomes me, it's like a hot yet cold sweaty feeling.

Nora
07-13-2017, 04:50 AM
I am exactly the same. The streetlight outside my house goes out at midnight so my room goes pitch black and then I start convincing myself I'm seeing freaky shadows and ghosts and crap and the only way to stop them is to close my eyes in the classic 'if I can't see them, they don't exist' notion. Whether this is normal or not, I dunno. I do have anxiety so I guess if you're wondering whether this is a symptom of anxiety then you should reflect on whether you get these feelings about other things or if it is just the scary movies and books. Scary movies are meant to leave you paranoid. Part of the charm.

The Intolerable Kid
07-13-2017, 07:26 AM
Like Nora says, it's part of enjoying fiction like that. Try ending your evening with something positive or funny like a sitcom or cartoon. That can take the edge off of something disturbing you've just watched. If shadows in your room disturb you, perhaps you could keep a small LED light by your bed to dispel any fears you might have.

iwanttobeok
07-13-2017, 10:06 AM
That's the point hon :P I would just watch stuff like that earlier in the day. Even reading it, right! But you can try to find a behind the scenes, author's bio, and debunk videos to remind yourself it's fake af. Well - some of it ;)