PDA

View Full Version : Tooth/jaw ache caused by anxiety tension

Boo Bass
07-02-2017, 05:20 AM
Hello

After 3 years of relentless tension my teeth are now feeling it. I know its caused by clenching teeth especially when asleep. Where I am noe there is no dentist. I'm aware that jaw massage is the way to go and there's stuff on the net but none of it is consistent.

Just wondered if anyone has experience of this and what massage spots work best

Thanks

iwanttobeok
07-02-2017, 05:43 AM
I have the same! I heard there are mouth guards for when you sleep. For me it's just underneath the side of my jaw and that does the trick. Making sure you are hydrated is important, too.

Boo Bass
07-02-2017, 06:12 AM
Hi Iwanttobeok

Thanks for your feedback. I will try the position you mentioned. I think I have been overdoing it by exerting too much pressure.

Those mouth guards are effective but I can't get hold of one

A dentist friend said that if yiu can stop the clenching consciously during the daytime, it will stop at night

Ponder
07-02-2017, 07:09 PM
TMJ Temporomandibular Joint Syndrome (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_dysfunction)

Here is an interesting article on TMJ & Anxiety.
http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/causes/tmj

However I was more looking into Anxiety adding to TMJ not so much TMJ creating anxiety. The grey area when researching into these kinds of conditions is sifting through all the marketing BS and gleaning what rings true for you. I have suffered it all with my long term high bouts of Anxiety. TMJ is NO Picnic let me tell you. My tinnitus did skyrocket during that period as well.

The thing to understand is that many people get this and it will pass. I found some relief after sifting through all the BS marketing scams embedded throughout the following you tube link. Just look through them and practice some of the different exercises and find out what words for you:
TMJ Relief Exercises (https://www.youtube.com/results?q=TMJ+relief+exercises)

I hope some of that helps. I have also been a teeth clencher and grinder! It eventually caught up to me too. I only got relief once I understood the process and practiced some of the exercises and delved into meditation. Whatever works to reduce stress. Just exercising really helped as too changing my diet. There are plenty of choices ... but in the short term - some of those linked exercises can really help.

Good Luck and all the best.

Boo Bass
07-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Thanks Ponder, that's good stuff. I have difficulty getting onto Yiu Tube but on a good day it will happen.

BB

Boo Bass
07-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Managed to access Dr. Jo

Excellent stuff. I was exerting way too much pressure which explains why I was in difficulty yesterday.

Good to know how to do it properly now.

Thanks again Ponder

Boo Bass
07-06-2017, 11:46 PM
Hi Ponder

Just writing to seek reassurance that these symptoms will eventually go awax.

am doing 6 exercises 6 times a day gently. one day Ill be ok then next not, bit like anxiety itself. i got painkillers but dont want to take

just need some encouragement Im on the right track

BB

Barong Baj Baj
07-09-2017, 05:16 AM
I really fucked up my jaw with anxious grinding. But it is healed alot better now, so it can heal up bro x