PDA

View Full Version : How does seeing a close relative/friend instantly calm anxiety/panic?

06-27-2017, 05:36 AM
When anxious/panic, if I call and go see a close friend/relative, I calm. Sometimes just hearing from them calms me. No one is giving me anti depressants or benzo or any medication. So what's the chemical reaction that's happening naturally then? Do I get more or less serotonin/dopamine/cortisol etc when in the prescence of certain people or is it that there is someone there that I trust etc, but that would still lead to a chemical reaction if that calms me, right? So what is going on?

iwanttobeok
06-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Maybe because you feel that if something happened to you ( that won't ), someone is there that can get you help. You associate them positively enough to call and go see them, so of course you are going to feel safe with them. I wouldn't be sure about exactly what chemical reactions are specific to your case, but I suppose if you are around people that are new so they are nerve-wracking, or they just trigger some sort of group phobia or anything in between, a familiar sight would very much boost your confidence since you have someone that would probably look at you less funny :P

Rick(amateur)
06-27-2017, 03:41 PM
There are people who we associate as trustworthy and reliable. During our times of need, these people fit our image of being there for us. Talking or seeing them subconsciously bring about this image of a comforting event in the past. For everyone, it's quite different as to our responses. I have no such people in my life but I know that, if I had someone who has always been there for me, his/her voice alone could be comforting.

gypsylee
06-27-2017, 08:10 PM
Hey there :)

It'd be a bunch of chemical reactions.. Oxytocin springs to mind because it's the "bonding" chemical. But the easiest way to explain it is by using the opposite situation - isolation, which is and has been used as a punishment in all cultures and time periods.

There's a famous study where a rat was put in a cage and could activate a drip with either water or alcohol (it might have been cocaine but whatever). The cage wasn't very nice and the rat chose the alcohol to make itself feel better. Then the researchers designed a cage with lots of things to do, nice scenery, and lots of rats (they named it "Rat Park"). They found that the rats preferred the water in this situation because they were pretty happy. I might have got some details wrong but that was the general gist of the research.

All the best,
Gypsy x

P.S. If you're interested in brain chemistry, this is an awesome book: https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Balance-Understanding-Neurochemistry-Addiction/dp/1475045670/ref=la_B0078HF9B8_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498616113&sr=1-1

Barong Baj Baj
07-03-2017, 05:29 PM
I think its a bout comfort. which to be honest, can sometimes be bad with an anxiety disorder, you know always going for reassurance and warmth. But sometimes it's necessary, and so lovely and important. All the best!

07-17-2017, 06:48 AM
I talked to my doctor general practitioner, he said its the safety and security of the support network, and the chemical released is endorphins. I was in a bit of a rush I may or may not have asked about the other chemicals mentioned here, but anyway. So I'm sure I've tried doing star jumps when this mood happens, but it only seems to break the mood a little bit, and then within 5seconds the mood comes back. Maybe try running next time, unsure if that would have as strong a release of endorphins as the comfort/security of that safety of people you know to take care of you in these moments.