PDA

View Full Version : Is this anxiety or Asthma?

grahic
06-22-2017, 05:51 AM
Hi everyone!

My name is David and I am 26 years old. My anxiety started in the middle of October last year and have experienced many symptoms of anxiety but I feel much better now. No more panic attacks (since November) but I do have minor dp/dr time to time.

Long story short, I been living in Japan for the last 3 years and I am finally going back home to New Zealand. I decided to travel around in Asia before I go back home so I went to Korea last week.

Here is where it all begins - On my fourth day in Korea, I woke up in the middle of the night gasping for air (this never happened before) It felt like I'm being suffocated. My breaths were extremely short and I was unable to get enough oxygen.

Ever since then I feel uncomfortable everyday 24/7. I constantly have super dry mouth, difficulty breathing and swallowing and dry coughs (especially at night).

I know it's not a panic attack. I wasn't hyperventilating and my heart wasn't racing. I never had any breathing problems whatsoever. I have a strong feeling it's asthma or something. I just can't breath properly. It's worse than anxiety.

I went to see a doctor and I also told him that I have anxiety and depression and as soon as I said that he just prescribed me Xanax :( No check up was done. I was mad and speechless. I don't take meds. My anxiety isn't that bad. I just take natural supplements like st john wort and vitamin tablets.

I want to get a different doctor but how can they be sure it's anxiety and not something fatal like asthma attack. What do I do from here? I feel like I am going to pass out :(

Rick(amateur)
06-22-2017, 10:28 AM
Hi grahic!

I definitely suggest finding a different doctor and, maybe this time, avoid mentioning anxiety and depression until a proper checkup is done. Sadly, there are doctors out there who take the easy route so they would do whatever to be done with a patient. As for anxiety, it can be very complicated as it has a large range of impact on your physical health. Getting a proper professional is definitely the best approach here.

I hope your next doctor will be more competent and can pinpoint what's the problem. I hope you have a good one! :)