PDA

View Full Version : 21 and never had a job! Help..

Kellie
06-10-2017, 09:13 PM
My name is Kellie, I am 21 years old from New Zealand. In 2013 I was diagnosed with anxiety and being told that completely changed my life. I ended up leaving school, pretty much doing nothing with my life and getting financial support from the government. Since then I have done some study and considering doing more. Since being diagnosed with anxiety I have had 5 psychologists, have been on multiple medications and a while ago my doctor said there wasn't really anything more he could do for me which just breaks my heart. Due to having anxiety I have never been able to get a job, its the one thing I just cannot do, I went for an interview once and I just freaked out and left before it began and refused to answer any of their calls again which i guess destroyed my reputation with them. 1. I can barely talk about it without going into full panic mode and the people around me just don't understand 2. I am scared that if I was to get a job that i would be unreliable because of my anxiety which will just make my anxiety worse.
I am planning to move out of home next year as my partner of 2 years is moving over to New Zealand from Lebanon and I want to begin my life with him, hes not pressuring me in anyway but I am myself because I really want this.

I just was curious to hear stories similar to mine and maybe give some tips or jobs that anxious people can do or anything.. HELP!

Rick(amateur)
06-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Hi Kellie! Anxiety is never easy to overcome and I'm saddened to hear that your doctor believe there's nothing more he could do. There are certainly others ways to deal with it like keeping a journal, meditate and find people to talk about the issue. What these have in common is you aren't bottling them up and you try to vent them in a non-violent way.

I have gotten anxiety, not diagnosed by doctors though, since my life took a turn for the worst. School wasn't working out, job market not optimal for what I'm taking and parents not happy about me being an underachiever/failure. We all have our own problems in life but I feel these problems are what helps us grow as people. It's definitely tough with the pain and suffering but we become better people when we get through the challenges given to us in life.

I know from my own life that family and friends don't always understand. Anxiety is something that people cannot understand until they experience a form of it. Otherwise, it's actually more comforting talking to strangers who have been there and done that. As for fearful of a job, there are actually a lot of options available which you can do online without needing to interact with other people unless you're ready. Something off the top of my head is YouTube where you can make videos. There's no guarantee you can make money off the channel but you can certainly do something that could help others.

Moving out will be an interesting experience and I wish you the best. The initial transition could take awhile to get used to but it can be fun for sure.

Sorry about my lengthy response. I'm happy to chat more if you reply to this. It definitely helps to have people to talk about your challenges in life. :)

gypsylee
06-11-2017, 04:08 AM
Hi Kellie :)

Good reply from Rick there.

As for jobs; I have a pretty checkered history and am currently on a government pension for Major Depression, Alcoholism and Diabetes, which I'm extremely grateful for. If I was in a different country, like the US, I highly doubt I'd get that support. Australia still has a semi-decent social security system though. Oh and I just saw you're a Kiwi :rolleyes: who probably have a similar system, but I'm not suggesting you apply for govt support if you're able to work. I've been through some really heavy stuff in the last few years and it's been a struggle to just keep myself healthy, so yeah I need my pension atm.

Anyway, I'm not sure about you but I'm a real night person and like working night shifts. The bonus of that is it tends to pay better because, of course, most people DON'T like it. So that's my suggestion. A lot of places like hospitals need people to work nights.

All the best to you,
Gypsy x

Ponder
06-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Hi Kellie. I know this pain very well, especially the panic associated with job interview. My story is best summed up that I come from a long line of hard core anxiety sufferers. It's devastated the generation before me, greatly impacted my own life and now I do what I can to assist my own children whom also suffer from high levels of anxiety. All parties I mentioned are as incapacitated as each other to varying degrees. I was the first to accept my anxiety as a disorder through delving into the area of self help and am currently receiving a disability pension for my state of mental health.

One paragraph to sum up a crucial aspect to identifying barriers:

I'm very careful with how I identify with the term anxiety when I contemplate overcoming barriers. I've come to accept anxiety as an every day part of human life, however know too well how incapacitating unresolved high can be. Keeping anxiety levels in order makes having anxiety a healthy thing, however it's only when anxiety levels go unchecked and heightened for a prolonged period of time that then anxiety is then appropriately termed a disorder. It's not the anxiety itself. This is very important to understand. I share this in the context of identifying and addressing barriers beneath the surface of the label. Sadly many of us (anxiety sufferers) are unable to penetrate the exterior of our labels. Stigma between the ranks of the employed and unemployed does not help this case. My heart goes out to all of us caught up in the dilemma ... I did a bit of quick researching you:

My Advice - As is relates to New Zealand:
Contact the following two places (that I list at the end of "next"post) and explain your situation as best you can. Before calling/emailing sit down and do your best to build a case that focuses on your limitations with regard to your "Job Capacity"

Here's is a quick example (with key points in red) on the tiny bit of info I'm using form your opening post:

Hi my name is Kelly ------- I am currently diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (be more specific to disorder/S [using more than one label if you can] and use the full terms as specified on diagnoses/medical reports [Also list the traits that typically detailed in such a report]) and have seen a "number" of psychologists (again be specific to designation/titles of professionals seen ie - psychiatrists, Gps, Counselors and just like with using multiple labels use more than onc area of medical profession) over the last so many years.

Building your case and making an impact is everything. So instead of just saying:
"Hi my name is Kelly and I suffer from anxiety and seeing the following psychologist ... "

Elaborate with:

Hi my name is Kelly and I suffer with "use the detailed diagnoses term" with "traits" of depression, social phobia and so on ... I am currently being medicated and have seen several psychiatrists, psychologists, Gps and have a history with school counselors. Currently I am under the care of " " ..... the latter I will explain next.

Let's recap before the latter of last sentence above! Part of building one's case is to identify with as much medical backing and also case history to one's prior dealings of incapacity and traumatic events ←(which I did not mention) - The trick is to mention as much as you that relates yet keep it concise. You should also scan documentation that backs up any of your claims.

This is how building a case starts! Now that we have briefly touched on being specific and loading the gun (contemplatively speaking of course ) - The next thing you have to understand, is that these services require that one currently be undergoing treatment [I]for their diagnosed label/S, that one currently be in a reasonable state of stability.

This is because there are so many lose canons out their making all kinds of claims. No matter what country one lives is and or how good their welfare system be, you can bet your bottom dollar that they are all overwhelmed. I live in Australia and our system whilst has many flaws is actually pretty good - HOWEVER - I can tell you from 48+ years of experience (re opening paragraph in this here post) that seeking to climb the ladder from even the lowest rung of the welfare ladder is as consuming as a high pressure full time job. I know what I am talking about as of the last few years been actively involved in all facets of fully utilizing the system for what I deem as appropriate to me needs.

Next Post ...

Ponder
06-12-2017, 02:50 PM
I've reach my own capacity now. :)

I'm nearly ready to give you the links to who I would contact if I was you. (New Zealand right?)

When your young and just starting out in this shitty world it's hard when you don't understand why or how the system works. Taking the time to process and learn what these government agencies require (without the emotional content of our stories/hangups) is a must. Building a case gets easier the moment one accepts where they are really at as well as knowing what one really wants. The last sentence I can not adequately put into words yet is the key to all of the above.
__________________________________________________ ______________________

New Zealand Only:
CATAPULT EMPLOYMENT SERVICES:
http://catapultemployment.org.nz/jobseekers/
Be sure to take your time checking out their criteria. Approach them on their own ground and formulate your message so it fits in with what they require. Check out the TABS at the top

The following information that relate to CATAPULT EMPLOYMENT SERVICES I found at the following site but no yet on their own. When contacting them I would state their own claims and advise them where you found such information:
MHERC (Mental Health & Education Resource Centre) under their directory TAB:
http://mherc.org.nz/directory/all-listings-alphabetical/catapult-employment-services

Catapult Employment Services is a free supported employment service for both employers and jobseekers. Catapult supports jobseekers to obtain suitable, long term employment. We work with clients who have health issues or barriers to obtaining employment, or who are having significant difficulties in obtaining employment.

Catapult have a 10 week one on one counselling programme for Work focused Anxiety Counselling available for adults aged from 18-65 years. Sessions are either funded through a Work and Income Disability Allowance or self-funded if the client is not eligible for the Disability Allowance.

Whilst the groups may not be applicable to those not in the area - this facet does highlight the focus this service provider towards assisting people with mental health issues. I would contact them on this alone. In fact I would seek help through the following service and ask them if they could link me up to mental health support in my local area.

MHERC - SEEKING HELP PAGE (http://mherc.org.nz/seeking-help/seeking-help) (looks really good for Mental Health Issues I would contact these guys also and touch on your plight)

Here is another place I found in the directory tab from above website:
http://www.msd.govt.nz/what-we-can-do/disability-services/mainstream/index.html
Although it's mainstream they do have an area that focuses on mental health issues:

... cont:

Information for applicants
You can apply for a Mainstream placement if you have a disability and have been unable to get work. To be eligible for a Mainstream placement you need to:

be aged 18 or older
be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident and ordinarily resident in New Zealand
have a disability that significantly disadvantages your employment prospects and which requires assistance in addition to Work and Income’s general jobseeker support or wage subsidies
have had the disability for a minimum of six months, and expect it to continue for at least four years
be receiving a core Work and Income benefit such as Supported Living Payment or Job Seeker support or be at risk of long term benefit dependency
not be in paid employment when you apply and not have been in paid employment for more than 15 hours a week in the six months before you apply
not be receiving weekly compensation or vocational rehabilitation from ACC or a similar organisation.

I do hope this post is of help. I struggle with participating in the workforce myself, however receive a lot of help from Disability Employment Services. They have many programs that do not require one to be working. What they do require however is that one just be actively involved in their own recovery and have a desire towards some kind of goal. At the moment mine is being in a group that meets once a week to practice EFT. A copping strategy for those of us having a hard time with whatever lable/barrier. I'm also going back on a program called PHaMa (Personal Helpers and Mentor Programs) ... these are but only a few of the services within various Disability Employment Service Providers.

I really should one day write more of an article on this topic as our systems do have provisions to help ... it's just that the competitive nature on the marketing and economic side of things greys the waters and those who are not in the know can easily fall through the net. Perhaps as peers we can all share our own hints and tips in order to circumnavigate that cracks.

That's it from me ... I'm off for a walk.

Take care Kelie.
I wish you nothing but the best. :)