PDA

View Full Version : This forum aint so bad after all

Boo Bass
06-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Hello

I haven't posted on here much in recent months, mainly because it seems to have become very quiet and I'm aware I'm as equally to blame as anyone else.

I admit to dabbling on a number of mental health forums and I'm amazed how many there are. However, there is no one forum I have felt totally comfortable on because there are some prickly characters around typically with thousands of posts who kinda consider their opinion carries more weight than others. Its the same on all types of forums.

However, one thing I have to say about here is that I have always got the help I've asked for and encountered some very nice and helpful people, gypsy and Ponder to name but a few.

I am in jail in a foreign country. Nobody here has ever asked me why or judged me for it.

Contrast with a certain "popular" forum where my first post received comments like "internet in jail whatever next" and "I'm no angel myself" etc. Felt disappointed more than upset. I occasionally log on to sew mischief on political topics which should not be on a mental health forum, and where the right wing views expressed seem to be incompatible with a truly compassionate person.

Elefriends (not the one alluded to above) has copied Facebook as its format and people post real fotos of themselves, its bizarre and also very bitchy with members frequently getting kicked off.

Anyway, just a little thank you to peopled here for being generally nice.

BB

martin05
06-07-2017, 07:01 PM
This is a very laid back forum. I've actually met many good friends here.

It's just a pity it feels so neglected these days. There are loads of bots making fake accounts to boost membership numbers. The admins never bothered fixing the app.

I think if it weren't for Gypsylee always posting about herself, the place would have closed down by now, lol.

Anne1221
06-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Hurray for Gypsy!!

Boo Bass
06-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Hi Martin

Yep its a shame this nice forum is so quiet. When I joined over a year ago it was because it seemed to be one of the busy ones. I've noticed bots on other forums too, I never log off and often I'm the only human online.

I've noticed that some people migrate from one forum to another and its often apparent why. But as long as they are being supportive its their. business and nobody else's.

The general problem I still encounter is when a supporter's advice to a needy person does not sound very appropriate. In those cases I usually leave well alone rather than contradict, even though I have been at the receiving end of contradictors myself which I consider rude and unhelpful to the OP. I often just post a link to Claire Weekes and hope the OP will listen. A lot of posters reflect the therapy they have received which is understandable but IMO not appropriate in every case.

The other thing is that you have to expect cranky people on a MH forum, what is normal anyway.

The .most useful thing for someone in my situation that I have got from this forum more than any other is references to books and online self help material. That's why I am still able to function.

BB

gypsylee
06-07-2017, 11:52 PM
I think if it weren't for Gypsylee always posting about herself, the place would have closed down by now, lol.

Ha! Oh you :rolleyes:

This one time, when I was at band camp..

Ponder
06-08-2017, 04:20 AM
I found this post to be a welcoming bit of inspiration to cap my night off. Thx Boo Bass. I have checked the many other mental health forums out there as well ... and yet after many attempts, always find myself coming back here. I won't go on with my reasons other than just say - THX again Boo Bass - really appreciate the positive vibes.

Boo Bass
06-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Hi Ponder

Thanks for your nice reply.

BB

gypsylee
06-08-2017, 08:42 PM
I originally stayed here because of the app. I had that on my phone and when I was really anxious I'd get on it and read posts, and it calmed me down just knowing I wasn't the only one with this damn illness. I only started posting about a year later. Then the app disappeared and I couldn't get it for my new phone or iPad, but I liked the vibe here. Sometimes it goes quiet and sometimes you have to put up with people you don't like, but the lack of admin is good I reckon. It's almost like a social experiment - anxiety anarchy! :cool:

martin05
06-10-2017, 04:39 PM
The chat room used to be great too. On my old account, I met some great people in there. Nobody ever uses this new chat feature.

martin05
06-10-2017, 04:41 PM
Sometimes it goes quiet and sometimes you have to put up with people you don't like, but the lack of admin is good I reckon. It's almost like a social experiment - anxiety anarchy! :cool:

Lol, yeah. We're probably being watched by the CIA or something. Turns out the only way to prevent Lord of the Flies from happening is to give everyone anxiety.

Ponder
06-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Agrees lack of Admin (although ponder if it only looks that way) Is Great ... and also sense We are Being Watched!

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x30/davekyn/How-To-Stop-Windows-10-From-Spying-On-You_zpsmkppbhye.gif

Boo Bass
06-11-2017, 01:43 AM
I noticed that a newbie here defected to a "rival" forum. Nothing wrong with that.

But it does make me think that a certain percentage of people who post their problems actually already think they know the answer and just want confirmation. If they get told something different they're off.

This is one forum I would not worry about being watched on. Social media is a different matter. All my current problems relate to an unhealthy obsession I had with Facebook. There you really are being watched.

gypsylee
06-11-2017, 08:18 PM
This is one forum I would not worry about being watched on. Social media is a different matter. All my current problems relate to an unhealthy obsession I had with Facebook. There you really are being watched.

Too right, and people are so naive on there. I got booted off a couple of years ago for using a fake name (I think someone reported me) and they wanted ID! I thought get real and started another account. FB knows they can get away with pretty much whatever they like though because most people let them :rolleyes:

martin05
06-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Too right, and people are so naive on there. I got booted off a couple of years ago for using a fake name (I think someone reported me) and they wanted ID! I thought get real and started another account. FB knows they can get away with pretty much whatever they like though because most people let them :rolleyes:

You mean they didn't believe you were actually P!nk? :o

Boo Bass
06-12-2017, 12:13 AM
FB is downright evil. They sell all your personal data for advertising and are only too willing to hand it over to the police.

I had two accounts closed 3 years ago, I presumed they can match up profile fotos. My third account was closed by the police who also infiltrated it through a 3rd party. Evil bastados.

Boo Bass
06-12-2017, 02:54 AM
Im sure this has been said before, but do you not think that social media in general is messing up human interaction? Its so easy to be nasty or vain online that this can only carry through into real life.

For a lot of people, FB is all about outdoing your own friends as to who has the best life.
I know because I was guilty of it.

I have had the misfortune to be right next to complete strangers who met on the net on their first date. Painful was the only word I could think of at the time. But thats the way things are so I accept it all along with my anxiety (hopefully)

Boo Bass
06-12-2017, 03:42 AM
I just read on AlJazeera that a Pakistani man has been sentenced to death for blasphemous remarks made on FB. Im telling you, its poison.

martin05
06-12-2017, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty sure it messes up your brain chemistry, too. Dopamine receptors are really sensitive. I don't think they evolved to deal with the constant stimulation social media provides.

gypsylee
06-12-2017, 06:52 PM
You don't know I'm not P!nk, Martin. Just because I have anxiety doesn't mean I can't perform international tours and sell millions of albums..

gypsylee
06-12-2017, 08:24 PM
I just read on AlJazeera that a Pakistani man has been sentenced to death for blasphemous remarks made on FB. Im telling you, its poison.

Crazy. I rarely post anything personal on social media and mainly just annoy people with music videos I'm watching :) It's good for stalking though lol.

Barong Baj Baj
07-11-2017, 04:21 AM
Yeah, i am fairly new but the community here is pretty top notch. Open, non judgmental and always up for discussion