PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Anxiety

cms721
04-21-2017, 11:17 AM
Hello,

I had a terrible spell of anxiety about 6 years ago and learned to cope, its never been completely gone but I live every day like before.

My issue is I am travelling alone to Europe for a whole week for work, when I am alone on trips I notice my anxiety start to flare up. Any tips on staying calm? Its almost like I am anticipating the anxiety from the trip, causing me to get anxiety.

I know its stupid and I will make it through OK, its just annoying my brain works this way.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

MainerMikeBrown
04-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Cms721, I don't think your emotions, your anxieties, and your beliefs are stupid.

aml0017
04-25-2017, 11:27 AM
It is not stupid. The problem with being anxious about an event that hasn't happened yet is you can tend to set yourself up to ruin a perfectly good trip because you've set your mind up to anticipate it, especially if you've experienced travel anxiety before. What specifically causes you anxiety, is it being alone? What caused you anxiety on your last trip? Did it actually go well despite your anxiety. Sometimes you just need to accept the anxiety and realize that it is irrational and that you don't have to believe it. If you find yourself dwelling on "what if" scenarios then confront them, write down your worst fear - what is the likelihood that would ever happen?, is it out of your control? can you do anything to prevent it? would it really be the end of the world? Then let the anxiety wash over you and move along with your day. You are already doing that by reminding yourself you will be ok. I wish we could just wish the anxiety away but if you are prone to it you really have to accept it. Hope you have a great trip! A trip to Europe seems nice...even if it is for work.

Pellz
04-26-2017, 06:37 AM
I'm with you here. I've had a few bouts of vertigo, likely inner ear related, maybe 2 or 3 times over the past 5 years. Each time knocks me out of commission for 3-5 days. I fear going anywhere out of town, especially for work and especially alone, for fear that a bout will hit me and i'll be stuck alone in a hotel room a million miles away. Looking forward to any responses to the OP.

BenOg
04-27-2017, 05:46 AM
Travelling is the worst for me.

The Intolerable Kid
04-27-2017, 05:55 AM
For what it's worth, if you can afford it, go 1st Class. I did that on our most recent trip, it's the only way I can sleep on the plane. Also, the airline personnel are nicer to you in 1st.

hellofriend22
05-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Have you tried any medication even just a sample? One thing that works for me is music put some headphones on and listen to your favorite music.

TuesdayBlue
06-17-2017, 06:17 PM
I don't know if this is too late but I've come across these two articles with great tips for dealing with travel anxiety. If you search "anxiety" on the sites, the reads will come up.
wheresmydopamine (dotcom)
nomadic matt (dotcom)
Hope it helps...

iwanttobeok
06-29-2017, 04:25 PM
Bump :) I can see how people can get anxiety about pretty much every aspect of travel from airplane/bus worries to those about whether or not you'll get sick or whether or not your belongings will be safe.... but if you know you're prepared if you really need it there are very mild sedatives available for stuff like this. I don't think you would have needed it though, and I agree with the above posts that comfort really helps if you can help it. Trust me - I've seen those guys in 1st class and they sure as hell enjoy the little amenities that used to part of the other classes anyways ;(( And yea music helps, and if that doesn't engage you enough on it's own you can try naps to keep your mind off of things. You can call/text people on the trip if you can and have some relaxing conversation, and you can write down what you plan to do so the experience doesn't feel too foreign for you. :)

Dahila
06-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Traveling is difficult, I am so anxious in airplane that i had not gone to Europe in the last 14 years. I like driving but it makes me anxious too. Tiny dose of benzo then I am calmed enough to drive on highway :) Having nice people beside you helps :)

iwanttobeok
06-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Having the seat warmed in the car has helped me sleep either very late or very early, but that's gonna be a given I guess :p And also kinda not that good sometimes. But nice chat, some food and funky music helps prevent Imma-crash-totally-on-this-very-highway anxiety most definitely. I think my fear of airplanes is sorta going through a peak, but I guess mostly because I'm maybe boarding one next month lol. And with the Zika hype? Nah haha. Not going to lie, it goes away when you busy yourself mentally, which is why the above helps wherever you are :)

Barong Baj Baj
07-01-2017, 04:54 PM
I empathize so much. It freaking sucks especially when there is such a wonderful world to go out and explore . Keep up the fight soldier