PDA

View Full Version : How to Activate the Mammalian Diving Reflex

gypsylee
04-10-2017, 05:31 AM
Hi guys,

I'm going to go buy a gel eye mask tomorrow after reading this! You keep it in the fridge (I used my ice pack from the freezer and it was unbearably cold) and then sit with it on, with your head down holding your breath, and your mind basically thinks it's underwater.

I tried it with actual water in the sink and it felt AWFUL, but it does seem to have slowed my heart rate down. This decreases my anxiety because rapid heartbeat is by far my main symptom (which leads to racing thoughts, which increases my heart rate and becomes this big vicious cycle).

http://www.mindfulnessmuse.com/dialectical-behavior-therapy/how-to-calm-down-from-extreme-emotions-in-30-seconds

:cool:

Ponder
04-12-2017, 02:22 AM
Interesting. I'm still a bit wary after reading the following at the above link:

Warnings
Caveats to using this technique:

Activating the dive reflex slows the heart rate, so anyone with heart problems or a slow heartbeat should avoid this strategy
Those with eating disorders (particularly anorexia nervosa) should avoid activating the dive reflex, as this is dangerous for the heart

BUT thankfully I don't fit any of those categories. :)

Good steer. Thx.

gypsylee
04-12-2017, 04:04 AM
No worries :)

It only works temporarily but I'm thinking it could be a good trick when something happens and you go into a panic and can't think straight.. A bit like the old paper bag method.

Ponder
04-16-2017, 03:17 PM
Love your sig!

gypsylee
04-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Cheers :) Terrence McKenna would be right up your alley I'd think..

The video fits well in this thread too ;)