PDA

View Full Version : Help needed in dealing with anxiety attacks

Boo Bass
04-08-2017, 05:27 AM
Hi there

I'm sure this topic has come up before often but I'm in no fit state to navigate the old threads right now.

I guess by anxiety attack I mean onset of physical symptoms but without the red hot flash of panic. Specifically in my case is pins and needles in neck and back, churning stomach, sense of urgency and dread.

I know the key is to relax into them and accept, but I'm not finding it easy. I'm on medication that doesn't work, or maybe is working but the gravity of my present life situation cancels it out. Self help is all I really have.

Any tips will be gratefully received

Would

Kirk
04-08-2017, 06:19 AM
Maybe controlled deep breathng, the splashing of cold water on your face, isometric exercises such as grabbing an object and squeezing it to help release tension, more powerful fast acting medication such as Valium, etc.

Boo Bass
04-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Hi Kirk

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll take up your tips, all but one were new to me.

As for Valium, its out of the question. I'm in jail and all I have is one klonopin per day which doesn't do much. I have little choice but to go the self help route.

BB

gypsylee
04-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Hi BB,

Breathing is probably the best non-chemical thing I've found for anxiety. Can you play computer games in there at all? The other thing that helps me is those little games on Facebook like Candy Crush. Reading is another thing, and I've read somewhere that the very act of reading itself lowers blood pressure.

I feel for you though because I get that horrible sense of dread a lot (especially when I wake up) and I'm not locked up.

All the best,
Gypsy x

Boo Bass
04-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Hi gypsy

Thanks as always for your support.

BB

JonB
04-09-2017, 01:40 AM
Hi BB, have you come across EFT Tapping? I found this really good for calming my body down... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHxuTG6jRk

Boo Bass
04-09-2017, 03:54 AM
Hi BB, have you come across EFT Tapping? I found this really good for calming my body down... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHxuTG6jRk

Hi Jon

Thanks for your reply

For about 2 months I did EFT tapping about 6 times a day but found no benefit from it. But I was desponding to written instructions so may have been doing it wrong.

If you happen to know of any good free video I could watch that would be great.

BB

Kirk
04-09-2017, 05:00 AM
I am not sure about this site but maybe try www.eftuniverse.com.

JonB
04-09-2017, 06:39 AM
The Youtube link has a demonstration. The Tapping Solution version is very simple to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyHxuTG6jRk

Boo Bass
04-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Hi Jon

I found the right video to watch. What I was doing before was correct but I was only using one hand. I've started again using two, with some compassionate self talk added. Thanks.

BB

JonB
04-10-2017, 12:39 AM
I know the key is to relax into them and accept, but I'm not finding it easy.

It's interesting that you make this point.

The very difficult thing with this is that we are trying to do something at the most difficult time to do it!!

I have found that there is a way to do this in a very controlled manner, when we are in a safe place, which actually recalibrates the mind to realise that nothing bad will happen. This recalibration actually dissolves the fear forever!

If you would like to know more about this technique then let me know and I'll send it over for you to take a look at it.

Boo Bass
04-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Hi Jon

Yes please I'm interested.

BB

Boo Bass
04-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Hi Jon

Your link seems to be to a site I have to pay for. Can you post your technique here?

JonB
04-10-2017, 11:57 PM
You don't have to pay for anything BB. Just click the 'Download' sign and then open the file once it has downloaded.

Boo Bass
04-11-2017, 04:05 AM
Hi Jon

I only have an old Android phone so that's probably the problem

BB

JonB
04-11-2017, 04:11 AM
OK BB I'll send it in a form you can read it straight off the phone as a Message.

Boo Bass
04-11-2017, 04:25 AM
Hi Jon

thanks. its being blocked. another solution would be to send an image of the website.

am still a bit puzzled why you don't want to share with the whole community though

BB

JonB
04-11-2017, 04:29 AM
Did you receive my message I've just sent?

Because initially I want to know who's using the technique so I can follow up with them and assist, if necessary. If I just put it out there I have no way of knowing who's using it. I want direct feedback as to how people get on with it. I have a small number of people who are using, including a Hypnotherapist who is also recommending it to her clients.

JonB
04-11-2017, 04:33 AM
Are you on facebook?

You can find part of the description on here: https://www.facebook.com/fear2fearless/

You'd need to message me on FB for me to send you the rest.