PDA

View Full Version : Blood Test

gypsylee
03-23-2017, 03:34 AM
Hi everyone :)

I just got results back from a blood test and I am apparently really low in iron ie. anaemic. The doc wants to do an iron infusion ASAP I think, so I'm going back tomorrow.

Anyway, I wasn't even aware of it but it can give you rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, depression, as well as lots of other stuff. So I was thinking today that everyone should go get a full blood test before diagnosing themself with anxiety.

I don't know if you have to pay for it in the US (probably!) but it's such a simple thing to do and there are many things that mimick anxiety which are easily treated. For example, I'm diabetic and if I get low blood sugar (from too much insulin and not enough food) it feels exactly like a panic attack. What's worse is, the brain can't function properly without enough sugar so the other night I swallowed a couple of benzos when all I needed was some jelly beans!

So yeah, if you haven't already, go get your blood tested :)

Cheers,
Gypsy x

martin05
03-23-2017, 07:01 AM
Agree!

Low vitamin D can have a similar effect on the body. So worth getting your D-levels checked at the same time.

Ponder
03-23-2017, 04:56 PM
The need for regular blood tests is unnecessary for me as someone who eats a well balanced diet, gets enough sun and a adopts a lifestyle conducive to living naturally. In fact, having to rely on blood tests as a gauge for ones anxiety only feeds the mechanism of for my "oh my oh my." I can tell when my body needs an adjustment in the routine without having to depend on constant checkups. Other than being in tune with my body, it's amazing just how much one can tell simply by looking in the mirror. Of course this comes from someone who questions 90% of prescriptions that doctors come up with after viewing the results.

Additionally when it comes to vitamin levels, the gauges used by medical standards are at best - insufficient. But that's another story.

Thanks for the heads up ... thanks but no thanks.

Hope you get well soon Gypsy.

gypsylee
03-23-2017, 04:57 PM
I'm not exactly a fan of the medical profession but those numbers don't lie. I tend to overlook simple things a lot and go straight for something more complicated. I've stopped using Dr Google at least, but I'm so used to anxiety I don't even consider low vitamin/mineral levels, or low blood sugar etc.

So I'm off to the doctor again shortly and I might even be able to get the infusion today :)

Ponder
03-23-2017, 04:58 PM
Yea - I hear ya. Your condition warrants careful attention for sure.

Ponder
03-23-2017, 05:01 PM
I wish I could do my own at home Gypsy. My problem is more a trust issue. Sadly we are limited when it comes to home access ... although sometimes I am surprised at some kits that can be purchased off the net. Nothing like being able to have more control over one's health.

gypsylee
03-23-2017, 05:05 PM
The need for regular blood tests is unnecessary for me as someone who eats a well balanced diet, gets enough sun and a adopts a lifestyle conducive to living naturally. In fact, having to rely on blood tests as a gauge for ones anxiety only feeds the mechanism of for my "oh my oh my." I can tell when my body needs an adjustment in the routine without having to depend on constant checkups. Other than being in tune with my body, it's amazing just how much one can tell simply by looking in the mirror. Of course this comes from someone who questions 90% of prescriptions that doctors come up with after viewing the results.

Additionally when it comes to vitamin levels, the gauges used by medical standards are at best - insufficient. But that's another story.

Thanks for the heads up ... thanks but no thanks.

Hope you get well soon Gypsy.

Yeah I'm diabetic and so I'm meant to have bloods checked every 6 months or so. I must admit, the older I get the MORE faith I have in doctors. I've had some terrible experiences with them but I've formed a really good relationship with this one - he's a bit unorthodox and able to think outside the square (has worked with remote Aboriginal communities).

gypsylee
03-23-2017, 05:11 PM
I wish I could do my own at home Gypsy. My problem is more a trust issue. Sadly we are limited when it comes to home access ... although sometimes I am surprised at some kits that can be purchased off the net. Nothing like being able to have more control over one's health.

That's the thing.. I'm able to work together with this guy and he's really non-judgemental. Other doctors (and nurses) have made me cry and want to walk out of the office. My psych is similar, so I feel like I've finally got this team of support. It's taken me decades to get to this point though.

Ponder
03-23-2017, 05:48 PM
That's awesome gypsy. Thankfully I can say similarly good things about the psychotherapist I see. I have to admit the older I am getting the more inclined I am to making allowances when it comes to communicating and in doing so have on occasions pleasantly surprised myself. :) Despite my dissatisfaction with whatever - going to the medical clinic is a great place for me to practice my socializing skills.

Kirk
03-23-2017, 08:38 PM
People fail to realize that many conditions are genetic and must be treated with medication, whether natural or prescribed.

Kirk
03-23-2017, 08:43 PM
I know a number of people who exercise, eat properly, have minimal stress and get enough sleep, who still have medical issues.
Many illnesses have no symptoms until it is too late, so blood tests are essential. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a dream
world.

Kirk
03-24-2017, 05:20 AM
My neighbor up the street from us was in the picture of health. He exercised, had iron abs, ate great, had minimal body fat, had a nice easy job, etc. He never went to the doctor. I guess he thought he was immortal. He looked and felt like the picture of health. He went in for a dental checkup and while the dentist was examining his neck, he did not like what he saw and sent him to be examined by a physician. He was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and went through hell, but is still alive today. I really don't care what anyone says or justifies. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU GET EXAMINED AND HAVE YOUR BLOOD TESTED BY A QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN AT LEAST ANNUALLY WHEN YOU REACH A CERTAIN AGE. NO ONE IS IMMORTAL.

martin05
03-24-2017, 08:40 AM
He had iron abs

Did he ever let you stroke them?

Ponder
03-24-2017, 03:12 PM
I know a number of people who exercise, eat properly, have minimal stress and get enough sleep, who still have medical issues.
Many illnesses have no symptoms until it is too late, so blood tests are essential. Anyone who thinks otherwise is living in a dream
world.

My youngest daughter hangs on my every word. I'm used to such resistance Kirk ... just wanted to let you know your still my best friend. ;)

Your welcome to come join my dream world:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/280790/

Love U xxxx

Kirk
03-24-2017, 03:23 PM
martin05, I saved that part for you, chuckie.

Kirk
03-24-2017, 04:08 PM
Ponder, you are entitled to your opinion, as this is an open forum. I just disagree with you on many points, although you do make some valid points at times which I agree with. I do enjoy reading some of your posts as they are so far out of left field that I get a good laugh reading them.

Ponder
03-24-2017, 04:56 PM
That's very kind of you to say so Kirk. TY.

gypsylee
03-24-2017, 06:11 PM
My neighbor up the street from us was in the picture of health. He exercised, had iron abs, ate great, had minimal body fat, had a nice easy job, etc. He never went to the doctor. I guess he thought he was immortal. He looked and felt like the picture of health. He went in for a dental checkup and while the dentist was examining his neck, he did not like what he saw and sent him to be examined by a physician. He was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and went through hell, but is still alive today. I really don't care what anyone says or justifies. IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT YOU GET EXAMINED AND HAVE YOUR BLOOD TESTED BY A QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN AT LEAST ANNUALLY WHEN YOU REACH A CERTAIN AGE. NO ONE IS IMMORTAL.

In a way a see my diabetes as a blessing in disguise - it was a result of alcohol-induced pancreatitis in my mid 30s, so it made me take a good look at my drinking AND it forces me to get various checks regularly. It's definitely a humbling experience when you kill one of your organs via substance abuse.

gypsylee
03-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Did he ever let you stroke them?

Martin.. I like this side of you! :rolleyes:

Ponder
03-24-2017, 06:26 PM
In a way a see my diabetes as a blessing in disguise - it was a result of alcohol-induced pancreatitis in my mid 30s, so it made me take a good look at my drinking AND it forces me to get various checks regularly. It's definitely a humbling experience when you kill one of your organs via substance abuse.
Agrees that's its humbling. ~!~

gypsylee
03-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Ponder - I didn't even know how bad it was (the damage to my pancreas) and one time I had a blood test for something else. Well it came back saying my blood sugar had been through the roof. That doctor basically yelled at me and said things about how I could go blind overnight or lose limbs! Then another doctor at that practice treated me like a junkie when I went to him with a letter from the diabetes educator saying I needed insulin. I was so upset and traumatised by this whole experience I went into denial and didn't take ANY insulin for a few years. Eventually I had to face it and I found a new doctor, which has made all the difference in the world.

I dare say part of the problem is Australia importing so many medical professionals from overseas. I don't want to get in trouble here but let's just say those doctors who had such terrible manners were not Australian..

Ponder
03-25-2017, 01:24 AM
I believe this issue you allude to is more prevalent within the public sector. The medical system is still flawed either way regardless of how polite they hand out their prescriptions; but yea ... I don't tolerate doctors that can't communicate. Culture and Communication skills creates a huge disconnect when having to face these cereal packet doctors. The same can be said for any profession or simply just when being out and about. Another debilitating dynamic is the lack of thought and abuse of power when it comes to the factoring of influence these doctors have over our lives. Some could care less about the implications whilst others thrive on giving directives and then of course, you get those ones that seemingly enjoy the handing out of restrictions. IE - "Sorry lass, your license is now restricted!" "Oh No ... I can't sign that!" - "Nope you can no longer work!" - "A Ar - You have to go back to work!"- "Oh My I can't warrant that!!!" - "Try again next week and we shall see how I feel!"

Ever notice how this is more prevalent with imported doctors that come more from one spot Vs another. Hmmmm - CULTURE issues for sure! In their neck of the woods that's how people are treated. Suddenly now it's the same where we live. At the end of the day it's just another controlling dynamic that's more our fault for empowering these tinker in the first place. My failing body parts have humbled me, but I no longer the fool - to them it just looks that way.

My number one reason for staying well is to avoid the medical system at all costs. Failing that → That's when the term humbling takes on the meaning of humiliating - demeaning for a more appropriate word.

My perspective of humbleness re my damaged/missing body parts is for the life left that I now live, not to that of some know it all doctor who would imply to me of how my life should be lived.

Smiles - let others get all flustered if they can't handle what either you or I see as what is true for us. [albeit different perceptions but is nice when it's in tune : ) ] I am very glad you mentioned what you did. It plagues me all the time when either welfare constraints force my hand or I become ill enough that I make my way to see these imported types or for that matter; any white coated pretend healer. (I know different pages for different folks - if I may be allowed the space to express my disgust) To me they are no more than a means to an end. I ask for the results and direct myself. If I don't like their directive and restrictions ... they go in the bin. Sometimes I do get lucky though ... I find one in a million that I don't mind going to see ... that is when it counts. Does not help being in the lower socioeconomic sector re moving about so much. Such is life - Dr Google is good for me and those few doctors than can communicate with me.

The issue at hand with these imported plastic one makes google a very attractive alternative. It's been serving me very well! In fact my wife and I have had some good results in the past, sitting down with one or two "local" doctors Using Google in their office. Google is not the problem - it's how we use it that counts.

On another front ... I was only being nice to Kirk because I see him more as a sheep to likewise clinical BS philosophies ... a narrow minded fool who's too simple to ask questions outside the box. He gives virtually no feed back from personal experience other than constantly regurgitating the stories of others. Sigh.

Oh my. So sorry for the slip of my tongue. I must of recently been prodded. Delayed reaction on my part ... hmmm on second thoughts; perhaps I should go get a blood test. :)

PS I would also add to this a valid point my wife just made ... re Influence. ... and that is STIGMA. If your on the bottom end of the stick and have a hard enough time with people on social media (judgemental over opinionated tit for tat and 24/7 justifying types) let alone seeing would be professionals; consider this: Just like a Real estate Agent makes a judgment call on who is to be housed based on one's income - OR - Like the way an Employer would hire a prospective employee based on one's social kudos - So too Doctors treat their patient with a likewise brush.

Add to that ... that many of the imported ones fail to understand this dynamic/culture, as mostly where they come from everyone is indeed; treated with the same brush!

Sure ... USE them to get your results ... but make it a point to the make those important decisions for yourself and above all do what you can at the source. Do what you can to stop taking the pills and don't just resign yourself to a life time prescription - not just because SIMON SAYS. If you can read between those lines ... then you will do well ... even if you have to take whatever pills. I get a feeling most people get my point. More so the types that don't feel the need to resist. Hey buddy ... my little Kirky baby XXX kiss kiss.

barbimay
03-25-2017, 01:24 AM
Love this Martin...made me smile!;)

barbimay
03-25-2017, 01:42 AM
Okay, I found the iron abs comment refreshing and funny...sorry! Anyway, Ponder, I have had so many tests for the conditions I have mentioned in other posts that I want to scream! I am not sure where modern medicine is going, but I remember once a doctor mentioning..want to lose weight, (I am not obese), easy, surgery can correct that if people have trouble! For everything there seems to be a pill or surgery. Yesterday I had the lung transplant talk again...but doc I am not there yet and hopefully wont be for a while! I am confused on issue of big pharma...was then given the example of willowbark which is used to make aspirin...that pharmaceutical companies can patent natural remedies if they think they work and will bring them money. Anyway sorry if I am off topic.

barbimay
03-25-2017, 01:49 AM
Gypsy I hope you get well soon! Diabetes is no walk in the park. xxx

barbimay
03-25-2017, 01:55 AM
Good luck with the iron infusion Gypsylee...my daughter has had a few, both in Greece and Australia. You will feel better afterwards. it has been three years since her last one.

Ponder
03-25-2017, 01:56 AM
A life time prescription for you Gypsyhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/thanksgiving/horn-of-plenty.gif

Meanwhile as the doc makes a quick stop on the way home - http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/eating/slice-of-pizza-smiley-emoticon.gif

barbimay
03-25-2017, 02:18 AM
Ponder..spot on..nature's script! The best! My daughter hasn't needed more infusions after doing just that...eating very healthy, and exercising to her ability.

Kirk
03-25-2017, 06:05 AM
Chuckie, try living without the medical system if you have cancer, a heart attack or stroke. I am glad everyone liked the iron abs comment and I will tell him you all want to touch them. Only problem is he does not have iron abs anymore as battling and winning the Lymphoma battle changed his body. And Chuckie, remember, without the horrible, terrible, worthless and slimy medical system, he would be dead. Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it. In fact all of the people who hate the medical system so badly should not be allowed to go, including psychiatric counseling. So if one day you wake up with terrible chest pains, try the natural route to get rid of them and good luck with that one. ANYONE can get heart disease and it is does not matter how healthy you eat, exercise, etc. as the old saying goes, shit happens.

Kirk
03-25-2017, 06:12 AM
I do agree that the medical system has its problems and the natural route would usually be best. However, it is dangerous and foolhardy to make blanket statements about anything.

Kirk
03-25-2017, 06:14 AM
There are a couple of self proclaimed experts on this forum, so maybe I should ask some advice on how to run my small accounting practice better or give me some investment advice. Their was an old cartoon called Rocky and Bullwinkle. Bullwinkle was a moose that sometimes came on as "Mr. Know it All". He would claim to know how to do various things and would attempt to demonstrate, but would always flub things up and make a real mess of things.
Sound familiar?????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

gypsylee
03-25-2017, 11:05 PM
Thanks for your input Ponder, Barbimay and Kirk :)

Kirk - LOL at telling your neighbour we want to stroke his iron abs! ;) Also, a friend of the family died of Lymphoma recently. He was in his 70s but had lived a happy and healthy life.

I have all sorts of philosophical/spiritual viewpoints on death (that aren't mainstream). My brother died in 2014 at 33yo from a drug overdose, so that obviously has had a big impact on me. I'd slipped back into alcoholism and was still ignoring the diabetes. After huge binge weekend on alcohol with the guy I was seeing at the time (3 bottles of rum between us as well as some meth) I decided it had to stop because I couldn't put my parents through the loss of another child, and I have a 15yo daughter. So off I went to this doctor who I felt comfortable with, and we started working together on getting my health under control.

I basically feel certain things have happened in my life that imply I'm meant to be here and as much as I struggle, I'm getting used to this idea that I have to stick around. My body has been extremely forgiving of the way I treat it and I need to listen to it more and be less stubborn and egotistical. So this new faith I have in the medicos is related to all that. They certainly aren't perfect but what is in this world?

End rant! :cool:

gypsylee
03-25-2017, 11:54 PM
One last thing - I am starting to really appreciate the Australian healthcare system. Again, it's not perfect, but compared to so many other places we are VERY well looked after. My mother had a double hip replacement in 2015, with a long hospital stay and rehab, and she paid not one cent.

barbimay
03-26-2017, 03:48 PM
Gypsylee I would have to agree with you on that one, compared to other places we are very well cared for in Australia. I have some fantastic specialists. I wish the meds didnt come with so many side effects. Kirk, I love your humour with Rocky and Bullwinkle...it was one of my favourite cartoons! Kirk I think there has to be a middle ground in medicine..both western and natural therapies with caution for interactions, both have their place. My children have a friend with non hodgkins lymphoma that is aggressive so she is having chemo. How she is handling any side effects i dont know..especially anxiety. Have a great day all!