PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty inhaling?

GilledGoblin
03-22-2017, 02:45 AM
Been dealing with this for the past year, but it's been much worse over the past month and a half. Makes me feel like I'm inhaling through a straw or a thin sock. It's 24/7.

Scares the crap out of me because I had severe asthma growing up and almost died in 2003. Been to doc and went to ER about 5 months ago and even though no extensive tests were done, they said I was fine and sent me home. None of my asthma mesds bring any relief either, not even the steroid prednisone which is supposed to knock asthma out and open your airways.

Anyone else feel this way?

Kirk
03-22-2017, 09:48 AM
My internal medicine physician has told me that if symptoms change or worsen, it is time to call your physician.

MainerMikeBrown
03-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Gilled, why did the ER doctors say that you were fine 5 months ago? I mean, I know they did a lot of tests. But still...

GilledGoblin
03-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Gilled, why did the ER doctors say that you were fine 5 months ago? I mean, I know they did a lot of tests. But still...

EKG was clear, doc listened to lungs and heart and said both sound great, no wheezing or coughing, peak flow meter test(measured the strength of your forced exhale by numbers)was above my normal. They weren't concerned at all.

willheal
03-22-2017, 08:54 PM
not sure if its exactly the same but sometimes the tightness of my chest does makes it hard to breathe sometimes. I don't have asthma or anything, and my sensations disappear when the anxiety does

Does yours come and go with other anxiety symptoms? Do you notice yourself breathing shallow or not completely? When does it start/go away (do you notice it coinciding with anything else?) Are you wheezing when you breathe? Does focusing on it make it worse? And does slowing your breathing and taking fuller breaths help?

Maybe that'll help spot if it's a physiological response to anxiety or something more serious. I agree with Kirk's rule of thumb, though, if you get a chance. Double-checking with a Dr would be able to rule it out completely

Jull
03-23-2017, 05:41 AM
Try to steam bath with boiling water, it helps you breath easier.
Asthma also causes mucus which are the lining at throat, nose as well as airways. It is the wet and thick substance which help cleans and moistens nasal membranes, captures and gets rid of inhaled external matter.
I'd like to recommend some useful methods to help you to get the breath back:
- gargling warm salt water
- Nasal irrigation: Take ¼ a teaspoon of salt with a little bit of baking soda into some warm water.
Use a neti pot to store this solution.
Then have your head tilted to one side while squirting the solution into the nostril on the other side.
Have your head move back and forth and side-to-side in order to make the solution reach other places within the nasal cavities.
Then blow out the nose for getting rid of excessive mucus as well as the solution.
Do it again on the other nostril.
Perform once every day for couples of day and then reduce to couples of time per week.
source: https://authorityremedies.com/home-remedies-for-postnasal-drip/