PDA

View Full Version : Exposure Therapy

sfchristiangirl
03-12-2017, 08:36 PM
Hi all.

I have a question for members here who have gone through this.

I'm looking into exposure therapy for my dental phobia. Has anyone here used it before or is anyone able to explain it to me?

Otherwise are there other types of therapy to help you overcome the phobia?

I really feel trapped right now. I need to find a way to start overcoming this not just go on an appointment by appointment basis because that isn't working.

Thanks.

JJ

anxiousinla
03-13-2017, 11:27 AM
I haven't done it for a specific phobia, more general anxiety (and going to the Dentist was a nightmare scenario for me).. but in general, exposure therapy works by taking whatever it is you are afraid of, breaking it down into smaller pieces and getting use to each piece, this will reduce anticipatory anxiety (which is a large part of the problem)

So.. for example, for dental phobia (if you have a dentist who will help with this).

You may start by just going to the office every day for a week. Then the next week you go to the office and sit in the chair for 20 minutes every day (no procedures done).

You will notice, that, over time, and with repetition, your anxiety about each step will drop. This will reduce your overall anticipatory anxiety so that when you go for your full appointment, you won't get anxious about going to office and sitting in the chair.

My dentist was (and has continued to be) SUPER accommodating to me once I explained my issues to him. When I first started, everything was done in small steps. Now, when I go in, if they find a cavity during a cleaning, he will make sure to fill it on the spot, whereas everyone else has to make a future appointment, but he knows that if I am there, I'd rather just "get it over with", so he will squeeze me in for whatever needs to be done. I go cleanings every 3 months and I can't say they are anxiety free (nothing is), but it is certainly less than the full panic it used to bring on.

Teafrenzy
03-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Hi all.

I have a question for members here who have gone through this.

I'm looking into exposure therapy for my dental phobia. Has anyone here used it before or is anyone able to explain it to me?

Otherwise are there other types of therapy to help you overcome the phobia?

I really feel trapped right now. I need to find a way to start overcoming this not just go on an appointment by appointment basis because that isn't working.

Thanks.

JJ

Just a quick note that it is best to do 45-60 minutes of exposure therapy at a time. I read this in one of my many books. Anything more won't do any additional good and anything less isn't long enough.

maximadam
03-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Exposure therapy is effective. People only avoid it because it's uncomfortable, especially at first.

JonB
04-01-2017, 02:23 AM
Hi, I have been using a very effective version of Exposure Therapy.

I call it the Freedom Returns Process.

For the past several years I have been using this process... it dissolves fears one by one.

It uses well established psychological principles and elements of well tested techniques. But it is a novel new way of applying it.

It is extremely simple.

It can be done pretty much anywhere.

It does not require any interaction with anyone. It doesn't require you to do anything out of your home.

It does not require you to imagine anything.

It does not require you to dig into your past.

It just requires a little bit of observation of the present moment and a little time.

If you're interested in giving it a go then PM me.

hellofriend22
05-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Basically breaking down your phobia and gradually exposing yourself to it.

Kirk
05-05-2017, 08:16 PM
I agree with the previous posts.