PDA

View Full Version : Severe weather

gcltr777
03-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Anyone else HATE severe weather? Especially at night. I don't think my logic is that flawed, but my wife says I go very much overboard. If a system is particularly severe, I will watch it (I have a couple real time radar programs that are very accurate) for hours. This is not healthy. Tornadoes do concern me (as they should), but really, it's the 'usual' stuff that comes with the storms that gets me.

Three times since we've lived here, when lightning strikes close (or maybe hits the house...), our smoke detectors will go off. They are hardwired in the house, so one goes, they all go. Which leaves me wondering if our roof is on fire or the attic, etc. Another is when the power goes out (which is rare here) we lose our sump pump... and I would have to bucket water or have the basement flood (which I know a lot of people have to deal with, because the battery back-ups just don't work). And, another, is that when it would rain really hard with wind, we used to get water IN our electrical box in the basement... I had two electricians and and the electric company come out twice before they just put plumbers putty all over the meter. Before that, I would find a good 1/2in of water in the bottom of our box... not good...

Then there comes the financial worry. Roof damage and siding (I hate having a house with siding). In our area, any siding damage requires an instant $2,500 deductible for insurance claims... which is crazy. That would be more than it would cost to reside my entire house (house is 2200 sq ft. so not that big).

It's all these 'little' things that I have no control over that get me going. They are multiplied 10x if at nighttime for obvious reasons.

Lastly, I used to LOVE storms. I would go out and try to get pics of lightning and such. I studied everything I could on tornadoes and patterns, etc. Now they just make me worry... whether it be danger to my family or just dealing with problems... sucks..

Teafrenzy
03-04-2017, 10:45 AM
Anyone else HATE severe weather? Especially at night. I don't think my logic is that flawed, but my wife says I go very much overboard. If a system is particularly severe, I will watch it (I have a couple real time radar programs that are very accurate) for hours. This is not healthy. Tornadoes do concern me (as they should), but really, it's the 'usual' stuff that comes with the storms that gets me.

Three times since we've lived here, when lightning strikes close (or maybe hits the house...), our smoke detectors will go off. They are hardwired in the house, so one goes, they all go. Which leaves me wondering if our roof is on fire or the attic, etc. Another is when the power goes out (which is rare here) we lose our sump pump... and I would have to bucket water or have the basement flood (which I know a lot of people have to deal with, because the battery back-ups just don't work). And, another, is that when it would rain really hard with wind, we used to get water IN our electrical box in the basement... I had two electricians and and the electric company come out twice before they just put plumbers putty all over the meter. Before that, I would find a good 1/2in of water in the bottom of our box... not good...

Then there comes the financial worry. Roof damage and siding (I hate having a house with siding). In our area, any siding damage requires an instant $2,500 deductible for insurance claims... which is crazy. That would be more than it would cost to reside my entire house (house is 2200 sq ft. so not that big).

It's all these 'little' things that I have no control over that get me going. They are multiplied 10x if at nighttime for obvious reasons.

Lastly, I used to LOVE storms. I would go out and try to get pics of lightning and such. I studied everything I could on tornadoes and patterns, etc. Now they just make me worry... whether it be danger to my family or just dealing with problems... sucks..

Personally I like violent weather. I live in Canada and it is too cold for a lot of extreme weather. There is the odd Tornado in the summer, but usually not near the big cities. I used to watch youtube for the Tornado chasers but now I find it just adds to my overall anxiety. I enjoy it when it rains at night, something about it relaxes me and reduces my phobia and helps me sleep.

Kirk
03-04-2017, 10:45 AM
The only thing I don't like about storms is if the power goes out in our house.