PDA

View Full Version : alcohol for anxiety

yaheythere
02-17-2017, 10:54 AM
The past 3 or 4 days have been immensely difficult for me (anxiety-wise). Making my boring job 100 times worse… I can barely contain my tears of frustration, sadness, or whatever the hell is driving my emotions into a frenzy until I leave work- then cry my head off in the car until I get home, and then put on a happy face in front of my wife and daughter and continue to fight off the tears until I go to bed and escape this crap for a whole 3 hrs until it starts waking me up again.

All I keep reading is to ‘be with the anxiety', allow the anxiety, accept it. Im trying like hell not to fight it. Getting nowhere it seems.

So.. last night I had 3 or 4 drinks, and I felt almost NORMAL. I completely understand that alcohol is not good for anxiety. But for a temporary band aid- DAMN!!!! It certainly works like nothing else!

I absolutely will not abuse. I get bad hangovers.. which certainly stops me from having more than 2 or 3 drinks even just a couple times per week. And. I am a beer and whiskey connoisseur (even a home-brewer)… so I know better than to abuse something that I am passionate about.

Any thoughts on why alcohol helps SO much? Yes, I know it depresses the CNS. Yes I know its a temporary fix. Yes I know it is not recommended and can lead to many other problems. But if it works so well, why isn’t there some sort of supplement or other medication that affects the CNS in a similar way, but in a healthier way?

fixmybrokenmind
02-17-2017, 11:47 AM
I am sorry to hear of your struggles, I have been there and I now the soul sucking effects of what you are going through.

Alcohol is known to temporarily elevate GABA receptors in the brain which are highly responsible for easing anxiety. Have you tried any supplements or meditation techniques for your anxiety?

It might be worth it for you to get your hormones checked. Hypothyroidism as well as elevated estrogen levels, low testosterone among a few others can destroy your well being if not addressed.

Kirk
02-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Many people use alcohol as a coping mechanism for anxiety.

Teafrenzy
02-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Coincidence, because I was feeling really good last night (way less anxiety) I had my first beer in nearly 5 months!

I definitely expected to influence me today, but no, I have been feeling pretty well all day so far.

Anyways I think there may be other reasons, beyond the intoxication that alcohol is helping. For me anyways, when I drink, it invokes memories of when I was younger and more care-free ( I am not talking very long ago..just 6 months ago).

It's simply one reason why Alcohol is such a popular substance to use, because it is a good alleviation for anxiety.

salvator here
02-17-2017, 09:20 PM
Even thought I don't get the typical craving in the classic sense and could probably have a alcoholic beverage, I know it will only set me back again and I'll regret it. While it might (seem to) help on the short term, the long term consequences wouldn't be worth it.

Boo Bass
02-18-2017, 06:18 AM
I think it depends how much you drink.

If you are also taking medication, you need to be careful because for whatever reason, it lessens the efficacity of medication, especially benzos.

That has been my experience.

Two One
02-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Ethanol acts on the same receptors as the anti-anxiety medication benzodiazepines. Alcohol temporarily modulates the GABA-A receptor which induces anxiolysis. However, much like benzodiazepines, the anxiolytic effect of alcohol is very temporary. I would exercise extreme caution when using alcohol to quell anxiety. While much has been said about the abuse of benzodiazepines, they are usually not very addictive by themselves. The problem comes when you use them in combination with other CNS depressants such as opioids or alcohol.

richierich25
02-20-2017, 03:27 PM
This may be a little off topic but im very curious. Before my panic attacks I would occasionally drink about 3-4 beers a week. I've stopped beer completely because I read alcohol and anxiety dont mesh well. I still want to be able to socially drink with friends once a while. Did any of you give up alcohol completely or do you still have at least 1 when out with friends?

KitKat8
02-20-2017, 03:33 PM
If you enjoy a couple of drinks occasionally, there is nothing wrong with that. I would try some of the supplements they have out there like Calm Now or maybe even going to therapy and getting on medication. I understand the need to put on a calm face for your family, but they really need to know what is going on. With your stress level increasing, you could eventually snap at them. Telling them could help with your options in dealing with anxiety. Keep us updated on your decisions and good luck.

Boo Bass
02-21-2017, 04:08 AM
. While much has been said about the abuse of benzodiazepines, they are usually not very addictive by themselvesl.

I wish this were true, but as a former benzo addict, you can become dependent on even a low dose after a month.

Agree with you that alcohol and benzos is a dangerous mix.

If not on meds, one or two beers socially is probably a good idea. Half a bottle of scotch isnt

salvator here
02-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Actually it was the opposite for me.. alcohol intensified the effects of benzos (seemed like a win-win situation, but of course it wasn't); just saying.

gcltr777
02-21-2017, 10:27 AM
This is my first post on this site. I just quit a week ago. Went from a liter of bourbon 101 every 4 days or so, to nothing. I feel so much better... sorta... the first few days were hell, but I firmly believe that help from The Lord is what got me here. I still have some lingering 'extra' anxiety, but as I get farther away from my last drink, I feel better. I started to 'stress drink', and did so off and on, for about 7 years. At first, I could have 5 or 6 drinks and not touch it again for days or weeks. But after going through two very difficult pregnancies with my wife (nearly lost her and the baby both times due to preeclampsia) my usage kept getting higher. Work has been crazy... as in non existent crazy. My boss's wife just had her second mastectomy (she's 37), so he's busy... and my other coworker just lost his wife (she was 52) to cancer in Dec. of last year.

I have been on some sort of meds since I was 18 (I'm 39 now). I have clinical anxiety/depression. My mom had to be hospitalized due to it and Grandpa drank it away.

So, all that said, I suppose if you can handle it (depending on LOTS of factors), keeping drinks down to a minimum can help 'erase' all symptoms for a a while, but the body will need more and more to keep it away. It should be looked at as a drug. I have to see it that way now. There are times I'm sure I will miss it, but right now (and with The Lord's help) I pray I do not.

Kirk
02-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Some days I wish I could drink alcohol, but my GI physician advised against it since I had an esophageal ulcer in 2003.
I am going for a follow-up visit to him this Thursday and will inquire again.

gypsylee
02-21-2017, 03:18 PM
This is my first post on this site. I just quit a week ago. Went from a liter of bourbon 101 every 4 days or so, to nothing. I feel so much better... sorta... the first few days were hell, but I firmly believe that help from The Lord is what got me here. I still have some lingering 'extra' anxiety, but as I get farther away from my last drink, I feel better. I started to 'stress drink', and did so off and on, for about 7 years. At first, I could have 5 or 6 drinks and not touch it again for days or weeks. But after going through two very difficult pregnancies with my wife (nearly lost her and the baby both times due to preeclampsia) my usage kept getting higher. Work has been crazy... as in non existent crazy. My boss's wife just had her second mastectomy (she's 37), so he's busy... and my other coworker just lost his wife (she was 52) to cancer in Dec. of last year.

I have been on some sort of meds since I was 18 (I'm 39 now). I have clinical anxiety/depression. My mom had to be hospitalized due to it and Grandpa drank it away.

So, all that said, I suppose if you can handle it (depending on LOTS of factors), keeping drinks down to a minimum can help 'erase' all symptoms for a a while, but the body will need more and more to keep it away. It should be looked at as a drug. I have to see it that way now. There are times I'm sure I will miss it, but right now (and with The Lord's help) I pray I do not.

Hey and welcome :)

I'm a recovered alcoholic (since 2010 but with many relapses). I actually wanted to reassure you that a litre of bourbon in 4 days isn't that bad. I used to live with a guy who drank a 750ml bottle a day - 500ml at night and 250ml before work! I saw him last year and I'm amazed he's still alive, but men's bodies do tend to cope better with alcohol (I ended up in ICU with pancreatic necrosis).

So even though 250ml/day is enough to make you feel pretty bad it's not a huge amount. Good on you for stopping.. You do get to the stage where you don't even think about it most days :)

Gypsy x

gcltr777
02-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Hey and welcome :)

I'm a recovered alcoholic (since 2010 but with many relapses). I actually wanted to reassure you that a litre of bourbon in 4 days isn't that bad. I used to live with a guy who drank a 750ml bottle a day - 500ml at night and 250ml before work! I saw him last year and I'm amazed he's still alive, but men's bodies do tend to cope better with alcohol (I ended up in ICU with pancreatic necrosis).

So even though 250ml/day is enough to make you feel pretty bad it's not a huge amount. Good on you for stopping.. You do get to the stage where you don't even think about it most days :)

Gypsy x

Thank you very much Gypsy! It's crazy how the stuff gets a hold of you. I have to treat it like a drug now. I will say, I never had blackouts, vomiting, or all these horror stories I've heard. I played drums in a band and we drank a lot. One of my bandmates would have to be picked up from the sewer drain out behind the bar by the bouncer... I never experienced that. I always felt good, happy, and comfortable. And I remember all those memories from then of feeling good... which is what makes it so much worse and easier to abuse. There must be some sort of gene that allows some to 'hold their drink' better than others, but for me, just felt nice and happy. However, fear of what would be happening to my body and wanting to be here for my boys is what brought me to quit. I'm positive that was brought about by God. He gave me a 'heads up' as to what I was doing, because really, I didn't even think about it.

Hope things are good for you. Necrosis is a big deal.

Thanks again!

gypsylee
02-21-2017, 05:38 PM
Yeah I'm insulin-dependent diabetic now. It killed the cells in my pancreas :( But I see it as a blessing in disguise because it made me face the alcoholism pretty young (I'm 43 and was 35 when it happened). I'm so much better without drinking and if I have it now it has a pretty horrible effect.

I've done a lot of reading about addiction and I posted some stuff on alcohol in one of the other threads recently. I will find it for you. This is the best book I've read on the subject, written by a doctor who works in detox and rehab. It's about brain chemistry and discusses all the major drugs..

"Of all the drugs known to man, there is only one capable of raising five, sometimes six, of the eight neurotransmitters that shape the way we experience life. That drug is alcohol. We in the detoxification profession refer to it as the mother of all drugs or the kick-ass drug. The pharmaceutical industry has never produced a drug as all encompassing in its effect as alcohol.

Alcohol is the ultimate stimulant for the brain. To date, we know of no other agent that comes close to matching its power; alcohol’s effect on the human body is unprecedented. This influential drug is ultra-powerful as a neurotransmitter agonist. It moves the brain’s neurochemicals like no other drug on the planet. Alcohol raises serotonin, GABA, endocannabinoid, glutamate, and at high dose, increases the release of opiates. It also has a significant end-result effect on dopamine (which is very euphoric), adding up to a total of six neurotransmitters being affected. All this stimulation makes alcohol a powerful anti-depressant (not to mention highly addictive) and an even more powerful depressant once it wears off, causing neurotransmitters to plummet."

--Fredrick Von Steiff, Brain in Balance: Understanding the Genetics and Neurochemistry Behind Addiction and Sobriety

salvator here
02-21-2017, 06:25 PM
^Thank you for posting this Gypsy, I've not read that before.

The only thing to say, is, I feel worlds better both physically and I'm much sharper mentally being sober (a month and 5 days for me and counting).

Do you know by any chance how long it takes for the neurotransmitters to return to normal functioning? I've read it can take years - I hope not.

Congratulations gcltr777 :)

Ponder
02-22-2017, 12:48 AM
What Alcohol Actually Does to Your Brain and Body (http://lifehacker.com/5684996/what-alcohol-actually-does-to-your-brain-and-body)

Please understand the alcohol is a poisonous substance whatever way you look at it. Just like all forms of unnatural substances/ medicines. Comes down the the lessor of two evils. With regards to alcohol, I think people are kidding themselves to think it can be used as an aid for anxiety. Rather than seeing it as self medicating, I think it to be more on target when viewed as self sabotaging.

Of course "my view" comes from a hard core addict that damaged his liver and screwed his brain ... with alcohol.

I had plenty of good times ... but imo barley worth it.

Kirk
02-22-2017, 04:58 AM
I agree with the previous posts. However, alcohol in moderation can provide cardiovascular benefits. The key is moderation.

Kirk
02-22-2017, 05:06 AM
Our daughter who is now 26 used to have a boyfriend who drank and was a type one diabetic. After they dated a while he got a bit out of control when he was drinking and
pushed our daughter. That was the end of the relationship. His father also drank alcohol.

gcltr777
02-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Thanks salvator! and congrats on your month + 5! I know I feel better physically, still anxious about certain things (that I would normally numb myself out w/ drink), but better.

Ponder - You're right. In my opinion, alcohol needs to be looked at the same as any other drug. It works, but there are definitely side effects.

Kirk - I think I agree with you on the vascular benefit. My grandfather was an alcoholic and lived to 86. He would have lived much longer without smoking. I know alcohol and it's blood thinning/relaxing effect is a good thing... but what the stuff does to the rest of the body... I don't think it's worth it.

Ponder
02-22-2017, 01:26 PM
I agree with the previous posts. However, alcohol in moderation can provide cardiovascular benefits. The key is moderation.

Respectfully, this is now regarded as pseudoscience or at least science that is now changing. "A new generation of Mendelian randomization studies challenges the conventional wisdom..." "The surprising conclusions not only question whether moderate alcohol consumption actually protects us against heart disease, it also questions the previously supposed links between moderate alcohol intake and a myriad of other diseases, including dementia, diabetes, obesity and asthma..."

1. Study: Alcohol does not have any health benefits (http://sciencenordic.com/study-alcohol-does-not-have-any-health-benefits)

2. Are the benefits of moderate drinking a myth? (http://davidroodman.com/blog/2015/05/01/are-the-benefits-of-moderate-drinking-a-myth/)

The answer to helping blood pump around a sedentary individual is not to introduce a poison in moderation; but to simply introduce movement on a regular basis. Convenience wins out every time in our marketed society, however epidemics in side effects are now seeing a change in the generally accepted consensus. (One example ... new taxing campaigns on Sugar being implemented in Australia) Poison in moderation only benefits those in extreme cases; not the general population. The later example is now known to be killing the majority of our population. Alcohol is no different when viewed as a poison in moderation. Whether you claim to drink it under such a fashion matters little to the damage it's still doing. These so called benefits are now more than just debatable... it's science that's now changing.

richierich25
02-22-2017, 02:53 PM
well today is my anniversary with my fiancee. I promised her i would have half a glass of wine to celebrate so wish me luck! I hope it doesnt affect me and throw me into an attack. ive drinking water all day just to make sure im properly hydrated.

gypsylee
02-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Do you know by any chance how long it takes for the neurotransmitters to return to normal functioning?

No idea.. I'm guessing that depends on the individual. You see, my pancreas was probably susceptible to damage because my uncle is Type 1 diabetic. My brain seems to have held up well but I know a woman whose body has survived but her brain is fried.

gypsylee
02-22-2017, 04:35 PM
well today is my anniversary with my fiancee. I promised her i would have half a glass of wine to celebrate so wish me luck! I hope it doesnt affect me and throw me into an attack. ive drinking water all day just to make sure im properly hydrated.

Good luck! There's no such thing as half a glass of wine for me ;)

martin05
02-22-2017, 05:07 PM
Please understand the alcohol is a poisonous substance whatever way you look at it. Just like all forms of unnatural substances/ medicines.

I think you need to stop reading those "health" blogs for a while. Not only are you beginning to sound really preachy, but you're also off the mark. To call unnatural substances and medicines "poison" is absurd. Naturally (yes, that was a pun) you won't be able to provide any peer-reviewed evidence for your claim that everything unnatural is poison. Because there isn't any. ..

Stop believing everything you read online, just because some discredited doctor or "nutritionist" sounded convincing in the podcast. We get it, you have a chip on your shoulder and like kicking the boot into Western society whenever possible. But you're not coming across as enlightened or smarter than anybody else when you spout crap like above, you're just showing that you're suffering confirmation bias by believing something that isn't true, just because it matches your current prejudices.

And for what it's worth, there's plenty of poison in the natural world, too, so let's stop this childish game where everything natural = good, and everything man-made = bad.

Ally_Hicks
02-22-2017, 05:25 PM
I totally agree, Martin05. Thanks for bringing this up.

gypsylee
02-22-2017, 06:10 PM
Not to mention alcohol comes from fermented fruits and vegetables. Opium from poppies, cocaine from coca plant, pot from marijuana etc etc. The line between "natural" and "unnatural" is very blurred and not a good way to distinguish things.

Kirk
02-22-2017, 07:33 PM
According to the Mayo clinic, no one should begin drinking alcohol just for potential health benefits and it should be avoided
in certain circumstances altogether.

Ponder
02-22-2017, 07:37 PM
I think you need to stop reading those "health" blogs for a while. Not only are you beginning to sound really preachy, but you're also off the mark. To call unnatural substances and medicines "poison" is absurd. Naturally (yes, that was a pun) you won't be able to provide any peer-reviewed evidence for your claim that everything unnatural is poison. Because there isn't any. ..

Stop believing everything you read online, just because some discredited doctor or "nutritionist" sounded convincing in the podcast. We get it, you have a chip on your shoulder and like kicking the boot into Western society whenever possible. But you're not coming across as enlightened or smarter than anybody else when you spout crap like above, you're just showing that you're suffering confirmation bias by believing something that isn't true, just because it matches your current prejudices.

And for what it's worth, there's plenty of poison in the natural world, too, so let's stop this childish game where everything natural = good, and everything man-made = bad.

Meh ... you don't have to agree. The way I talk works well for me. As for we - just talk for yourself hey? Many of the others here know I'm not like you suggest. They read me well enough. It's just the way I deal with things. I don't personally attack. If you want to get nasty, the only one your going to piss off; is yourself. Your reaction says more about yourself than it does me.

I know I am not right on most things ... just take it with a grain of salt ... although you might want to check your sodium lvls. : ) ... anyways - Natural and unnatural ... I find it's more more in the way it is processed as well as how we take it:

We talk more soon enough.

But first let me see your reaction and gauge how toxic you really want to get?

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/bad/drunk-smiley-emoticon.gif

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1AVNE_enAU680AU680&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Poison+def&*
This is the context of medicine as poison. We give you X pill that will fix Y but then you may need to take another because of Z. I don't except you to understand given your response; but that's OK. I don't need your aproval or anyone else's. It's enough to know that we are a sick species that uses chemicals as solutions rather than seeking to live in harmony. It's no longer just about East Vs West - that card is old; nothing but a distraction. But let's not go there as you've already indicated - you have a dislike for preachers. : ) I used to as well ... but now have that under control.

I've read and done way more than you give me credit for. I actually talk from personal experience and write deeply about the things I touch on. Again ... as for "We" - you really don't know the half of it. But is OK - your still new in this here forum. Give it time. When the time is right ... there is also the ignore feature. What I have to say is not appreciated by the many because most people would rather stay ill. Is much easier that way. I am the same way - it's like living on a sinking ship. Woops ... I'm preaching again. Srry.

Keep talking - I'm happy to oblige.

Just be careful with your personal attacks - It will not bode well.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/746/32936712571_e2d575b545_o.gif

Kirk
02-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Medication is necessary in certain situations. During a heart attack you will need certain medicines or you will die. The same goes for a stroke.
You may need antibiotics for a severe bacterial infection. My daughter had kidney stones and needed pain medication as her pain was so severe
she could not stand it.

martin05
02-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Meh ... you don't have to agree. The way I talk works well for me. As for we - just talk for yourself hey? Many of the others here know I'm not like you suggest. They read me well enough. It's just the way I deal with things. I don't personally attack. If you want to get nasty, the only one your going to piss off; is yourself. Your reaction says more about yourself than it does me.

I know I am not right on most things ... just take it with a grain of salt ... although you might want to check your sodium lvls. : ) ... anyways - Natural and unnatural ... I find it's more more in the way it is processed as well as how we take it:

We talk more soon enough.

But first let me see your reaction and gauge how toxic you really want to get?

This is the context of medicine as poison. We give you X pill that will fix Y but then you may need to take another because of Z. I don't except you to understand given your response; but that's OK. I don't need your aproval or anyone else's. It's enough to know that we are a sick species that uses chemicals as solutions rather than seeking to live in harmony. It's no longer just about East Vs West - that card is old; nothing but a distraction. But let's not go there as you've already indicated - you have a dislike for preachers. : ) I used to as well ... but now have that under control.

I've read and done way more than you give me credit for. I actually talk from personal experience and write deeply about the things I touch on. Again ... as for "We" - you really don't know the half of it. But is OK - your still new in this here forum. Give it time. When the time is right ... there is also the ignore feature. What I have to say is not appreciated by the many because most people would rather stay ill. Is much easier that way. I am the same way - it's like living on a sinking ship. Woops ... I'm preaching again. Srry.

Keep talking - I'm happy to oblige.

Just be careful with your personal attacks - It will not bode well.

When you say completely unsubstantiated things like all unnatural substances are poison, I'm going to get pretty annoyed. It wasn't a personal attack.

It's pretty clear you have your own prejudices and your own agendas. Every other post of yours seems to attack the society that you live in (despite relying on it heavily for monetary handouts, waste disposal, medical care, and police protection). But this forum isn't the place for you to preach your "sick society" message. Nor is it the place to promote unsubstantiated treatments for medical problems, like all-natural living, cleanses and detoxes.

I come to this forum to read about testable methods of dealing with anxiety, not to read about fairies and mythical pain bodies and cure-all fasts.

Ponder
02-23-2017, 01:00 PM
Thank's for your view on what this forum is about. We all have our own ways of dealing with life. Thanks for your kind response.

I will however say that people can say whatever they want in this forum. It's not a place for others to tell others what they can and cannot say.

It's what makes this forum an extremely appealing place. No one in it has the right to silence another. We all say what we want.

All the best for finding what works for you. You can be sure no one will stop you from expressing as you must.

Have a good day brother. :)

Ponder
02-23-2017, 03:34 PM
For my new friend Martin - I came up with it whilst out walking with the fairies this fine morning:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2542/33078299365_f3fc015741_o.jpg

I hope this helps - I know it did me!

salvator here
02-23-2017, 09:06 PM
No idea.. I'm guessing that depends on the individual. You see, my pancreas was probably susceptible to damage because my uncle is Type 1 diabetic. My brain seems to have held up well but I know a woman whose body has survived but her brain is fried.I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sharper now but do have some short term memory loss at times (dunderheaded). In my 20's, I also used to WAY overuse sudafed until they removed as an OTC drug, then I in turn began to overuse phenylephrine as a result. I guess we do pay for what we do when younger, can't expect otherwise.

magicmarcus
03-01-2017, 09:26 PM
here are some videos i made about my experience with alcohol and anxiety:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LqWRCanoiY

magicmarcus
03-01-2017, 09:32 PM
here is the other one... tried to put it above but only let me do one :\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv6H3P1UgwM

Teafrenzy
03-03-2017, 09:24 PM
I had a beer earlier and I can't believe how much 1 drink can help with anxiety (at least temporarily). I feel no symptoms and I'm nice and relaxed.

The irony is that I can actually think more clearly after a couple of drinks. The intoxication is offset by the drop in anxiety and fear.

gcltr777
03-04-2017, 08:04 AM
I had a beer earlier and I can't believe how much 1 drink can help with anxiety (at least temporarily). I feel no symptoms and I'm nice and relaxed.

The irony is that I can actually think more clearly after a couple of drinks. The intoxication is offset by the drop in anxiety and fear.

Thing is, I agree with you completely. My two biggest fears or phobias in life are severe storms at night and hospitals. My wife had two very hard pregnancies due to preeclampsia and we were in the hospital a LOT. I hated the thought of even stepping in there... but... two or three, maybe four (I never kept track cause I drank from the bottle) shots of whiskey (empty stomach as much as possible, because it worked better and faster) and I would be talking to the Dr.s and feel fine... (*to note*, I would eat a tablespoon of peanut butter and use listerine to hide it) My wife knew I was drinking before hand and would even remark that I wasn't slurring my speech or talking too loud, or anything that would imply that I was pretty 'loaded up'. I even drove us with our 3yr old back and forth... oh man...

Problem was, as time went on, I was getting through a quarter liter or more a day. The anxiety was kicking up due to the alcohol abuse and not having enough in my system to keep it at bay. My tolerance built up very high. Nighttime brought on pounding heart and pain in my stomach... but I did the same thing the next day.

Because it worked so well, it got abused. It was never intentional, it just built up to that. Mostly due to stresses. I will be 100% sober for three wks as of Monday.

I have to treat it like a drug. I can't speak for you because everyone is completely different, (I have no idea how 'high' or severe your anxiety is or whether chemical or not, but you are on an anxiety forum... so... anyway) but drinking to relieve anxiety is a slippery slope. I hope you can keep things down to 'sensible' (whatever that may be) levels for you. You will more than likely require more as you get older and hit more stresses I think though.

Teafrenzy
03-04-2017, 10:10 AM
I slept well last night but I woke up feeling depressed. Usually I wake up with a hyper kind of feeling. I blame the alcohol.

I really don't like the depressed feeling.

Anne1221
03-09-2017, 09:09 PM
I applaud anyone who gets off alcohol and stays off alcohol. If you can't drink it in moderation (some can, some can't), it's best to stay away completely.

maximadam
03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
Drinking in moderation is fine but depending on alcohol to socialize just reinforces a negative belief that you aren't good enough without it. Try to talk to people sober and enough conversations in the moment will get you high anyway.

Synner
03-29-2017, 12:29 PM
When I was first diagnosed with GAD and Panic Disorder, my family doc was an old school (78 year old) woman who at different times in her life had been an Army doctor, a nun, a pediatric doctor, and a bunch of other things. She asked me if I drank at all. I said "of course!" She said when / if the attacks get really bad, have a beer or two. In my experience, that works very well.

HOWEVER-
You have to be extremely careful going that route as it would be extremely easy to become an alcoholic that way. You have to understand that alcohol isn't a treatment for the condition. It's more like taking Tylenol for a headache brought on by a stiff neck. It doesn't actually treat anything, it just gives you a little bit of time to recompose yourself. I took that warning to heart and even today I will have one or two if an attack is bad and I'm in a position where it's acceptable (i.e. at home with no where I need to be). But I will never have more than that, nor will I respond that way to consecutive attacks.

I'm certain most younger doctors will tell you no way, and they are probably right. I would hypocritically advise you not to use alcohol to "treat" an attack. The potential damage if you can't handle it correctly FAR exceeds the benefit.