PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

lookin
02-14-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm 18, male, and have had anxiety/depression for a few years now. I also used to have anger problems, but I've fixed that. It often comes and goes, and
the past few weeks I haven't felt too well (most likely from sickness and bad weather).

I was dropped from my last psychiatrist last summer because I was turning 18, and they were only for child psychiatry. I've gotten a new psychiatrist and
after a couple month wait we went and saw him.

It was a bit odd, he took my weight, but he didn't have a nurse take my blood pressure. I visited my pediatrician and he said it's 130/90 and that I should
monitor it.

He also decided to change my medication on the first visit. I currently take 1000mg of Valproic acid, 10mg of Escitalopram, and 1.5mg of Paliperidone a day
for temper tantrums/anxiety/depression.

He made a plan to taper me off the 10mg of Lexapro over the course of a month and then see him again. His plan is to get me off the Lexapro, then the 1.5mg of
Invega, and then possibly start and adhd medicine.

I am a bit nervous about this as he is new to me and already changing my medication. In the future I don't want to be on a ton of medicine

I think I should try to see a therapist so I can talk about my anxiety and all the things that are going on.
The past couple weeks I've seen the new psychiatrist once and my doctor twice (been sick), and I've talked to my mother a ton,
and I still have so much on my mind that I think a therapist could help with. I went to see one a year ago, but we didn't
click and I never felt like going for another visit.

My psychiatrist did recommend to get some testing done for adhd and a few other things I can't remember. I do want to start therapy, but I feel like I'm asking a ton from my parents lately.

metal4life
02-14-2017, 01:11 PM
You havent said what you want an advice for...

lookin
02-14-2017, 02:00 PM
You havent said what you want an advice for...

Should I tell my parents that I want to start therapy? Is being sick what's causing the abnormal amount of anxiety? Should I get the testing done?

BrilliantSide
02-14-2017, 04:36 PM
I know it seems like you are asking a lot from your parents now, but think of it as an investment. If you had a boat with a leak, is it better to repair the leak quickly (even if it will take a little bit of money), or should you just keep bailing water and hope that you don't eventually sink?

After all, if the hole isn't repaired it might get bigger.

Now, your brain is a lot more complicated than a hole in a boat, but the concepts are similar. You have a problem right now with anxiety, and you think therapy might help. I think you are right. What you experienced with your first therapist is common. Usually it takes meeting a couple different counselors until you find one you really click with.

In the long run it can be much better to do therapy in the short term, then to deal with anxiety for years (or decades) until you eventually have a melt down.

Therapy doesn't guarantee an elimination of anxiety, but it teaches you tools to better take care of your 'boat'. You learn to patch holes, bail water, and prevent new holes from forming. These are life long skills that will help you have more successful relationships, careers, and more happiness.

I hope that helps!

lookin
02-14-2017, 04:49 PM
I know it seems like you are asking a lot from your parents now, but think of it as an investment. If you had a boat with a leak, is it better to repair the leak quickly (even if it will take a little bit of money), or should you just keep bailing water and hope that you don't eventually sink?

After all, if the hole isn't repaired it might get bigger.

Now, your brain is a lot more complicated than a hole in a boat, but the concepts are similar. You have a problem right now with anxiety, and you think therapy might help. I think you are right. What you experienced with your first therapist is common. Usually it takes meeting a couple different counselors until you find one you really click with.

In the long run it can be much better to do therapy in the short term, then to deal with anxiety for years (or decades) until you eventually have a melt down.

Therapy doesn't guarantee an elimination of anxiety, but it teaches you tools to better take care of your 'boat'. You learn to patch holes, bail water, and prevent new holes from forming. These are life long skills that will help you have more successful relationships, careers, and more happiness.

I hope that helps!

Thank you. It does help.

I don't know why I've been so anxious the past two weeks. I'm not sure if it's because I got sick or what, but it's been hard whenever I'm sitting down doing nothing. I just can't relax.