PDA

View Full Version : Need for Control

Pcharlotte
02-11-2017, 11:10 AM
I've suffered from an anxiety and panic disorder for about 7 years now (it started when my dad and step-mom got divorced) but lately it's just been getting out of hand. I have been doing some thinking outside of therapy and came across an interesting discovery today: much of my anxiety is seeded in the need to have control. Does anybody else feel like that?
A lot of my anxiety is focused on health stuff, although I've always been a healthy person. I obsess over the tiniest thing and spend hours researching cures, supplements I can take to help, doctors I can see, etc. I've noticed this in my school life too (I'm a sophomore in college) - I don't like group projects because I feel the need to take over, like I should just do it all because nothing anyone else does will live up to my expectations. I have a terrible fear of the unknown, I hate surprises, I need to know what to expect. My mom is like this too in a severe way so I'm sure it rubbed off on me. I've made a revelation, but I don't really know how to deal with it. Does anyone else have a situation like this? And have advice on how to just let go and accept life as it comes?

MainerMikeBrown
02-11-2017, 02:54 PM
Pcharlotte, I'm glad you've identified that much of your anxiety is caused by the need to have control, because part of improving emotionally requires understanding yourself and understanding why you feel the way you do.