PDA

View Full Version : my little therapist can't be this cute

Kudzu2
02-11-2017, 09:13 AM
I see my therapist around once a week and feel we've developed a nice relationship but I do sort of have to remind myself that it's just her job and we're not friends. But damn if I wish we could be. I know it would be beyond inappropriate to do so, so don't worry, I won't, but I sometimes imagine us going out together just for a drink or something. We're around the same age so it does feel different from other therapists, who were noticeably older. Also her babyfaced features, cute fashion sense and sweet giggle when I say something funny just brightens my day. So don't worry, I won't go all What about Bob? on her but still, even the fact that I kinda feel this way makes me wish I didn't. :(

fixmybrokenmind
02-11-2017, 10:59 AM
It might be harder to open up to someone you seem to like for fear of embarrassment?

Kudzu2
02-11-2017, 03:43 PM
It might be harder to open up to someone you seem to like for fear of embarrassment?

It hasn't though. I'm pretty open with her.

gypsylee
02-11-2017, 07:30 PM
That's pretty normal. My psych and GP are in their 60s (I'm 43) and I get along with them so well I sometimes imagine other stuff lol. I've even dreamt of my shrink in that way once :)

Kudzu2
02-12-2017, 12:43 PM
That's pretty normal. My psych and GP are in their 60s (I'm 43) and I get along with them so well I sometimes imagine other stuff lol. I've even dreamt of my shrink in that way once :)

Really? I've never heard anyone say something like that before.

gypsylee
02-12-2017, 03:21 PM
Really? I've never heard anyone say something like that before.

Freud called it "transference". He would say I see my doctors as surrogate fathers. But I think it's just human nature to be attracted to people of the opposite sex (or same sex if you're that way inclined) who you get along with well.

http://changingminds.org/disciplines/psychoanalysis/concepts/transference.htm