PDA

View Full Version : How long have you had anxiety attacks?

KitKat8
02-03-2017, 03:49 PM
I was diagnosed in 1996 at the age of 8. It's been 21 years and while I still have panic attacks, I have learned to cope with them. It depends on the situation, but most of the time, I will read and it helps.

BrilliantSide
02-03-2017, 03:58 PM
I had a few panic attacks a couple years ago, and I had some when I was a kid (5th or 6th grade) but I didn't now what they were at the time. Thankfully I don't have panic attacks anymore. The biggest things that have helped me are meditation, exercising 4-5 times a week, and reducing caffeine as much as possible.

What has helped you cope with them KitKat8?

gypsylee
02-03-2017, 04:20 PM
Hi KitKat :)

I've been anxious my whole life (43 years) and have memories of insomnia from about 6yo. I was diagnosed with Major Depression at 19 though (1993), when the anxiety became debilitating and I had to defer from university.

Teafrenzy
02-03-2017, 05:28 PM
My panic attacks started in September of last year, following a small Trauma. I think the way I reacted to the symptoms I had following the Trauma are what brought upon the panic attacks as opposed to the Trauma itself.

I don't have full blown panic attacks anymore, but my head feels somewhat strange most of the day.

fixmybrokenmind
02-03-2017, 09:27 PM
I've personally dealt with general anxiety for as long as I can remember (at least 10 years) but I never knew the true meaning of an anxiety attack until roughly 3 years ago I'd say. I had them almost daily for at least a year of that period but I am thrilled to say it has been over half a year since my last.

For those of you that have dealt with it for 20+ years my hat goes off to you. True warriors.

Kirk
02-04-2017, 08:19 AM
I have had health anxiety for as long as I can remember and I am 60 now.

gypsylee
02-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Kirk, do you get social anxiety as well? See I really don't get health anxiety and I've got this theory people tend to have one or the other..

salvator here
02-05-2017, 08:50 AM
As a child, I had health anxiety and into my 20s. As I've grown older that has (somewhat) decreased and my social anxiety has increased two-fold. I don't know how to change it really, but its something I've learned to accept. I've come to terms with the fact that I enjoy being a loner, but living in (almost) total isolation is unhealthy. I don't trust people anymore and would never again allow myself to give of myself totally. I was always an open book and would wear my heart on my sleeve. All it ever did was result in me being hurt by people and dissipated.

I just don't know what to do or where to turn to make a better future for myself. I'm 43 and I don't feel I'm too old, but I'm also not getting any younger..

salvator here
02-05-2017, 09:47 AM
I worry because even during my hospitalizations nothing really become of it all and I'm back to square 1 again. I know it unrealistic to think somebody else can 'fix' me. I didn't get this way overnight (a recluse) so I'm hard on myself in and impatient and hope I'll just snap out of it. I can't just simply undo the damage and change the past mistakes that got me here and I have no (clear) direction either going forward. Its been recommended to me to attend group therapy. This is the last thing I want; never ever!! I don't do well with other people forcing their views down my throat in groups. Somebody always has to be the 'expert' and I don't need that in groups. I've made it thus far on my own with little help from others and I trust my judgement. Besides, I've already had several bad experiences in groups with religious fanatics trying to tell me I'm going to burn in hell LOL.

I still have (some) hopes and dreams and they keep me motivated and optimistic.

fixmybrokenmind
02-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Kirk, do you get social anxiety as well? See I really don't get health anxiety and I've got this theory people tend to have one or the other..

Funny you say this, I have rather bad health anxiety and general anxiety but almost no social anxiety. I meet people very easily and honestly quite enjoy making new friends.