PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about hypnosis?

BrilliantSide
02-02-2017, 11:09 AM
What does everyone thing about hypnosis and hypnotherapy? Have you ever been hypnotized?

I admit I'm asking for a selfish reason, I'm a medical hypnotist myself and most people that contact me are interested in hypnosis and have a positive view of it. I wonder if this view is more prevalent out there, or if my experience is a bit biased?

So tell me, what do you really think about hypnosis?

Teafrenzy
02-02-2017, 11:46 AM
I am curious to try hypnosis to help me with my recovery.

I have been using some subliminal/hypnosis recordings from apps I have found on the App Store. I think they have been helping. But nothing major.

The big problem I have with hypnosis is that I am already spending roughly 100 per week for a psychologist. That is 400 a month. If I add hypnotherapy, that is another 100-150 per week. I thought hypnosis would work fast, but looking into it, they say expect 5-15 sessions to see results. What if I spend the money for 10 hypnosis sessions and I don't see any results and that's another 1000-1500 dollars down the drain on top of the hundreds I spend on regular Psychotherapy?

If a Hypnotist offered me some sort of money back guarantee in writing, I would be more open to trying.

KitKat8
02-02-2017, 07:59 PM
I have been dealing with my anxiety for 21 years now. I've been to therapists and taken medication, but never done hypnosis. I may look into hypnosis as a treatment.

BrilliantSide
02-03-2017, 03:39 PM
KitKat,

Hypnosis has the potential to help, but there is no such thing as a magic bullet that cures anxiety instantly. The benefit that hypnosis has is modern hypnotherapy takes into account the latest in neuroscience to help you learn new patterns. It also helps you unlearn patterns of anxiety quite quickly. Let me know if you have any questions!

Teafrenzy
02-27-2017, 06:56 PM
Ok..so I went to a hypnotherapist today (sounds like the start of a joke)...

I sat down on a comfy EZ boy chair in a small room, with some fancy lights and interesting paintings.

The hypnotist guy first took 20 minutes asking me questions about my life and my anxiety. I relayed to him the full story. I told him I was a normal guy who had a very frightening experience with a burglar. This has lead to panic attacks and anxiety symptoms, especially at night.

We then proceeded to do the hypnosis. I leaned back, closed my eyes as the Therapist gave me instruction on how to breathe. Then he took me on a guided meditation tour. I was instructed to go back in time to talk with my younger self. I was instructed to go back to the day before my trauma. I felt really relaxed and started to cry uncontrollably. He then proceeded to instruct me on how I always used to feel good at night and to recall times I had fun at night.

The whole session lasted 2 hours.

When I woke up, I felt really weird, it is difficult to describe the way your head feels.

Unfortunately, I have showed no improvement at night. My head has felt unnaturally "excited" all night long. No major symptoms except a tingling sensation in the back of my head and this weird excitement feeling. If the tingling sensation backed off and I felt less excited I think I would be feeling nearly 100%. but I have felt like this before. I think I overall feel a little worse than I did last night.

Sorry, Ben, but not a fan of hypnosis at the moment:)

PS thats 140 dollars i will never see again.

Edit- I feel really tired and I have a slight headache.

gypsylee
02-28-2017, 12:23 PM
It's basically just someone doing a guided meditation with you, isn't it?

Teafrenzy
02-28-2017, 01:32 PM

Yes, very similar. Maybe a bit more intense because he is there to provide instruction.

But considering the cost (most guided meditation tapes are free or very cheap), I can't say I got good value.

I did sleep for 7 hours straight last night and I have been feeling reasonable good today so far (just a tinge off).

Teafrenzy
02-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Stop the Presses...I might need to eat a slice of humble pie.

It is currently 5:45pm EST and it is nearly dark. I am doing my usual coffeeshop training.

All I can think is "I have always had a really good time at night..I hope the sun goes down because that is my time to be great".

That's what the hypnotist said to me, I remember.

I might need to PM Brilliantside and apologize for ragging on his profession.

BrilliantSide
02-28-2017, 04:26 PM

Hehe, as a hypnotist myself I would say its' a bit different. It would be like claiming that someone who is painting a beautiful artistic mural on a wall is 'basically just painting a wall'. Yes, they are using paint, but that is just the medium to create the art.

Guided meditations are super helpful. Hypnosis can be super helpful. They are similar in a lot of ways, but there are some powerful differences.

BrilliantSide
02-28-2017, 04:32 PM
Stop the Presses...I might need to eat a slice of humble pie.

It is currently 5:45pm EST and it is nearly dark. I am doing my usual coffeeshop training.

All I can think is "I have always had a really good time at night..I hope the sun goes down because that is my time to be great".

That's what the hypnotist said to me, I remember.

I might need to PM Brilliantside and apologize for ragging on his profession.

Haha no need to apologize. You can't really judge an entire profession on just one individual anyway. Perhaps this hypnotist was amazing, or maybe he wasn't. It's just like there are some great doctors out there, and then there are some that are bumbling fools.

I'm glad you seem to be making some progress though!

The way hypnosis usually works is you don't notice a difference the day of the hypnosis. It usually slowly occurs over the next few days. I like to say that there are three types of people when it comes to hypnosis.

1. The first type have one session and their problem is instantly solved.
2. The second type make a lot of progress with one session, but then start to slide back over the next week or two. They usually have another session and make a lot more progress until their problem is solved.
3. The third type don't slide back at all, they just make slow steady progress over the course of two to four sessions until their problem is solved.

Hypnosis has a lot of things that are wrapped in mystery. I made a podcast episode about hypnosis (http://www.brilliantside.com/episode-010-secrets-of-hypnosis/) the other day because I wanted people to learn more about it. Unfortunately it's probably one of my least popular episodes for some reason. I guess people don't find hypnosis nearly as fascinating as I do! :P

- Benjamin

Ponder
02-28-2017, 04:39 PM
Once understood, I find hypnosis an extremely effective tool. I prefer self hypnosis which utilizes much of the same principles as being assisted. It's just that I am doing it myself. Nice avatar Ben :)

Teafrenzy
03-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Last night I didn't sleep well and this morning I woke up anxious. I needed to go back to bed and get some rest. It's a shame. 2 nights ago I slept well so I thought hypnosis helped me reach a new plateau. Now I don't know what to think.

Teafrenzy
03-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Well something feels different so far tonight.

I am pretty relaxed, just a tinge off.

Crossing my fingers.

Edit -it is now 6:05 pm. I am coming to the conclusion that the hypnosis did something, or else it's quite a coincidence.

Edit -it is now 6:20pm, it is now almost completely dark. My head generally feels happy, but I can still feel the anxiety cooking.

Ultimately, I am not sure if hypnosis helped.

BrilliantSide
03-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Hypnosis is just one tool. Just like EFT, meditation, CBT, DBT, etc... (so many acronyms in mental health!)

I find that all change is based around momentum. Hypnosis can be great at starting that momentum, like your parents giving you a push on a swing. But usually there are things you can do on your own to keep up the momentum (like pumping your legs if you are on a swing!).

Did the hypnotist tell you things that could help that you could do on your own? I typically give my clients at least a couple things that they can do.

BrilliantSide
03-02-2017, 11:00 AM
I will also say that hypnosis often doesn't "feel" like it's doing anything. It's not like taking a narcotic and you feel woozy and drugged up.

You can tell hypnosis is working because things that used to bother, just don't bother you as much. Or that whatever you are working on starts to get better. Many people wonder if it's coincidence (I've had many clients mention that!), and to be honest it could be. But, usually if they have struggled with something for months/years and they start getting better after having some hypnosis sessions with me... well, it COULD be coincidence, but it probably isn't.

The reason it FEELS like coincidence, is it doesn't feel like anything is happening. It just feels like things are easier, or that the problem wasn't so big to begin with.

I will also mention that hypnosis won't prevent life from happening. You'll still have good days and bad days, that's why I like to take a whole body/mind approach. Practicing good self care, meditation, exercise, eating well etc... none of these things by themselves will have a HUGE impact, but all of them together will be very noticeable.

Teafrenzy
03-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Ben,

What is the difference between hypnosis and guided meditation?

(Today I was feeling pretty good, but tonight my stress hormones started firing around 6pm).