PDA

View Full Version : Friends and Family who think you are just faking it!

Teafrenzy
01-31-2017, 11:09 AM
I went out for dinner with a few old friends on Sunday. I told them of my situation. How I can't sleep well. How I get nagging sensations like burning in the skin and light-headedness. How I get anxious and irritable at night.

They told me I was just using it as an excuse to be lazy and miss work. This really got to me. Two of my oldest friends from work.

I told them I didn't go on any drugs. They thought if I had a condition, the DR would prescribe a drug cocktail. I tried to explain that drugs are not recommended highly anymore and don't consistently work.

Imagine what the general populace feels about "anxiety disorders".

RoadToRecovery
01-31-2017, 11:50 AM
The general public has a great misunderstanding of anxiety disorders and how debilitating they can be. I can relate. Before I developed my disorder, I regarded those who suffer with anxiety and depression as "weak" and "lazy". How differently I feel now that I have personally experienced anxiety disorder and how severely it can impact you.

I'm sure it was painful to hear that, but just try to remind yourself that they don't know what it's like. I'm sure they would feel differently if they were in your shoes. And remember all of the hard work you've put into getting over this and the positive results you have been seeing. Remember how far you've come. Don't let it get to you. If anything, I think it takes a great deal of vulnerability and bravery to be able to tell someone of your situation. Most people hide it inside of themselves.

The Intolerable Kid
02-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Everyone handles stress differently. I've had jobs where I flat out thought "I am not cut out for this." I like to think I'm fairly tough when it comes to enduring a cruel boss (our father prepared us for the reality of life by beating the hell out of us as children) or physical labor (same notation, the old man didn't accept excuses of any kind.) But I won't tolerate continual, deliberate torture in the workplace as an adult. You shouldn't have to apologize for how you feel.

fixmybrokenmind
02-01-2017, 11:33 AM
This was likely the thing that bothered me most growing up with anxiety. Nothing would irritate me more than when people would say it was all in your head etc.

In all honesty it is probably people like this that kept me quiet for so many years, and so many others like me. I'm finding as I get older, possibly due to my friend choices, but everyone seems much more receptive now. I'd say 80% of the people I talk to now at least are understanding of anxiety or depression and quite a large portion themselves have experienced one for themselves.

Try not to let their uneducated opinions bother you too much. In the end they haven't walked a mile in your shoes!

Zena
02-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have enjoyed hearing that either. It can be frustrating/disheartening when your opening up about a real issue that is genuinely bothering you is met with that kind of response, especially when that response is coming from friends or relatives. There are definitely times in my life when I could have used some support and understanding (or at least an attempt at understanding) as opposed to the dismissal of my struggle and my feelings. I have been made to feel like I'm just using anxiety and depression as excuses to not be as productive as I could be. I've been made to feel like I am weak. Nonetheless, I truly do believe it takes courage to be vulnerable and to confront your issues...to not pretend you've got it all together when in actuality you are struggling. You can take comfort in knowing people here can understand and that you are not alone. Don't allow comments like those to diminish in your mind the strides you have made. You're stronger than you probably think you are.

PanicCured
02-02-2017, 09:21 PM
People that never had a panic attack don't understand it. That's just how it is.

KitKat8
02-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Sadly, this is generally the response that the public has towards anxiety. What is going on at work?