PDA

View Full Version : distraction as a means of coping with gad

barbimay
01-20-2017, 02:35 PM
What do you do when one of the triggers for gad is worrying about your child? Aside from my own health issues, my daughter has her own which resulted in serious abdominal surgery when she was 11...she is now 19 and still battling. In addition we have moved countries twice. This she has had two hospital admissions, and my dad has had two mild heart attacks. I have been told distraction. My mind is always on how to help her. On the other hand I feel we are too enmeshed. My son and husband don't really get involved with her. ..in their own world. I have had bad side effects having to take my own meds...which I dont take all, causing strain on heart and lungs...I have become too scared of the effects. Now scared to take meds for anxiety/sleep. I may need to because one of the side effects of vasodilators is insomnia! So my question is what could be helpful? There are many against meds on this forum which I understand because I am not so sure of them myself. My exercise capacity is limited at the moment..I had to do cardio pulmonary rehab with oxygen in tow. Don't use it at home though. Have meds been effective for anyone? Do they zone you out? Any advice?
Thanks

Deviousiphone
01-21-2017, 02:02 PM
to be honest it sounds like you have had an extraordinary time, even if that was in a negative way, now my results on medication might be painful? I have taken many and I still do, they have helped me balance many things, and then maybe not, my advice? Seek your doctor and family and move on from there, even if you can't have both?

barbimay
01-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Deviousphone, thank you so much for replying. I have very understanding doctors...too many that include 3 cardiologists (1 on transplant team, even though I havent had one yet!) plus another 2 or three..rheumatologist etc. One gp is of the mind to try and tackle anxiety on its own, the others are that there is help when you need it. 2016 saw 2 emergency admissions for my daughter, 2 heart attacks for my dad plus ongoing transfusions at home etc, and one knee surgery for hubby...fun and games. I am glad to hear meds have helped you. Thanks again.