PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Medicine Student with Health Anxiety

BeatAnxiety
01-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Hi guys!

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to let everyone know that health anxiety can affect anyone! I am a pre-medicine student currently in my junior year of college and I have had health anxiety since I was 16. Even though I am educated when it comes to human pathophysiology and work at one of the best hospitals in the nation, I still have had many irrational thoughts when it comes to my health.

Currently I am going through a relapse since anxiety can cause many symptoms which mimic serious diseases. My main symptoms as of right now are arm and leg weakness, tingling in my arms, legs and feet, muscle twitches, tremors, dizziness, sleep disturbances, burning sensations and more.

RossySoonDone
01-23-2017, 11:23 AM
That an interesting insight. I think for you to relapse you may not have fully cured yourself of anxiety the first time; by that I mean resetting your amagydala response back down to its normal birth preset. Its very uncommon for people who are anxious that then go into a true cured state to relapse just because the brains neural pathways have already built a defence towards it. Imagine how hard it'd be to forget to learn how to walk or tie your shoelaces? Anxiety is a conscious behaviour, it happens as an automatic response.

fixmybrokenmind
01-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Health anxiety is a real thing, I have dealt with it for years. Ironically anxiety is likely the cause of half of the health problems we worry about which causes a nasty little cycle.

Have you personally ever tried magnesium? You likely know a lot more about health than I do, but your symptoms coupled with anxiety may be caused by a magnesium deficiency.

RossySoonDone
01-23-2017, 04:40 PM
I just started this supplementation regime today, not because I believe I'm deficient but just because I'd like to get my nervous system back into balance while I tackle the psychological side of anxiety which makes up for most of the problem (the regime is on the general forum homepage on the first page as a sticky, I can't link it here, or google: The Definitive Supplement Regimen to Help Cure Your Anxiety by PanicCured).

Whether its health anxiety, agoraphobia, OCD, they all span under the same thing - Anxiety. If your body was perfectly free from anxiety in the now you wouldn't think twice about your health; thats how it is to be anxiety free. It took me a while to realise this but when you do it allows you to tackle the problem a lot easier. Its like having a runny nose and saying you've got a runny nose illness when in fact you just have a cold; the runny nose is just a result of having the cold.

PanicCured
01-27-2017, 09:56 PM
If your body was perfectly free from anxiety in the now you wouldn't think twice about your health; thats how it is to be anxiety free. It took me a while to realise this but when you do it allows you to tackle the problem a lot easier.

You can cause anxiety by your behavior too like going through a major stressful situation or something, maybe even just tripping out about something. But the out of control panic and massive anxiety attacks once your nervous system, mind or whatever is healed and balanced, it really is hard to occur. But I don't think you can get fully into balance without doing the work of behavioral changes.