PDA

View Full Version : How do you tackle fear of fear, and fear of not sleeping

barbimay
01-18-2017, 08:55 PM
The root cause of my anxiety is fear of fear itself. This is hard especially when I am experiencing health issues (Lupus etc), and start fearing anything that might trigger the anxiety cycle. Any advice please?
Thanks in advance
Barbara

ZayKayWill
01-18-2017, 09:31 PM
Meditate. Maybe get some medication if you feel it will help. Music is a godsend.

salvator here
01-19-2017, 08:19 AM
I truly have not slept well since the 1990s. Sleeping pills are only a temporary band-aid.

Agreed - Meditation along with white noise has done wonders for me. For instance: I have an ionizer going at all times for really just that purpose.

barbimay
01-19-2017, 10:15 PM
Thank you Zaykay and Salvator for your advice. The idea of white noise sounds effective. Salvator sleeping pills really are a band-aid..do they work? How many hours zzzz do you manage on average. hope you are both doing well

Boo Bass
01-19-2017, 11:22 PM
Hi there

This is my 3rd attempt at post so I hope you find useeul

listen to free recordings of Claire Weekes talking about fear of fear

www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html

Then read The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris

Worry about sleep is just worry. You can survive without sleep. Dont compare with other people.

The medication Quetiapine will knock you out on a low dose and is non addibtive

barbimay
01-20-2017, 02:35 AM
Thanks Boo Bass. I love Claire Weekes. What sort of drug is Quetiapine?

Boo Bass
01-20-2017, 02:46 AM
Its anti psychotic but a side effect is drowsiness. I take for anxiety induced sleep disorder. Im in jail

gypsylee
01-20-2017, 04:25 AM
Quetiapine will sure knock you out, although after a while it made my anxiety worse and gave me heart palpitations. Plus I put on a heap of weight.

I've had insomnia pretty much my whole life on and off.. The "on and off" side of it is really relevant I've come to realise. It seems to have phases which are hard to predict. I think it's the author of the DARE book, Barry McDonagh, who says he's learned to see bedtime as a chance to rest and *maybe* sleep, but it's not a huge drama if he doesn't sleep or takes a while to fall asleep. I know how frustrating and stressful it can be when you're going through a period of insomnia but as I say, they always end.

I've got Mogadon (medium-acting benzos) which I try not to resort to too much. I've also got these supplements by Swisse called "Relax and Sleep" which have Hops, Passionflower, Lemon Balm and Magnesium in them. I'm not sure if they do anything (and they sure aren't cheap) but I think anything that helps the nervous system is a good idea when you have anxiety disorder.

barbimay
01-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Thanks Gypsy Lee and Boo Bass. I am at odds at the moment re meds as I have quite a few serious medical issues too. I suppose I fear any side effects, or worse them not working at all. I am on low dose lexapro right now on top of meds for heart/lung issues and lupus.

gypsylee
01-21-2017, 12:37 AM
If you like Claire Weekes you'd probably find The DARE Response helpful. I bought the audiobook (which is read by the author) and got quite a lot out of it. He talks about the fear of fear and how that is the root of anxiety disorders.

Deviousiphone
01-21-2017, 01:27 PM
Barbimay, I know your pain, my advice is don't wait for you next anxiety issue, admit it now, things change in life and yours sound like it does it often, take a deep breath and let everything flow, now I know this is not ideal right now, but once you except the ride your taking (like a fair ground almost!) you will adapt and be so strong!

fixmybrokenmind
01-21-2017, 01:34 PM
For me the best defence against the cycle of anxiety is medication and cognitive behavioural therapy. A book that is definitely worth reading is How To Stop Worrying And Start Living.

Deviousiphone
01-21-2017, 01:39 PM
barbimay, just accept that you are gonna sleep anyway, so dictate your terms, I am gonna do this, so I WILL DO IT MY WAY!!

Boo Bass
01-22-2017, 04:17 AM
If you like Claire Weekes you'd probably find The DARE Response helpful. I bought the audiobook (which is read by the author) and got quite a lot out of it. He talks about the fear of fear and how that is the root of anxiety disorders.

Hi gypsy

Thanks for mention of that book. I can trust your judgement that its good. Im stuck in a foreign jail without any medical help or support so these books are a lifeline I can ask a friend to order it for me and send to a pastor who can bring it in.

salvator here
01-22-2017, 06:41 AM
Thank you Zaykay and Salvator for your advice. The idea of white noise sounds effective. Salvator sleeping pills really are a band-aid..do they work? How many hours zzzz do you manage on average. hope you are both doing wellI don't sleep much to be honest, If I can get 5 hours straight I'm content. The white noise can be anything really as simple as something like a fan running. There are white noise machines that can be purchased that produce all sorts of natural sounds like rain, ocean waves, wind and so on. I've not purchased one yet, but plan to. Right now I use a simple ionizer that I picked up at a department store. I find the hum it produces help me a lot with getting to sleep and it helps me meditate. I would really recommend checking out some of the threads here on meditation; its been discussed a lot here.

gypsylee
01-22-2017, 12:46 PM
Hi gypsy

Thanks for mention of that book. I can trust your judgement that its good. Im stuck in a foreign jail without any medical help or support so these books are a lifeline I can ask a friend to order it for me and send to a pastor who can bring it in.

Awesome :)

Barry McDonagh is very much along the lines of Claire Weekes and Russ Harris. I think you'll find that book helpful.