PDA

View Full Version : We are stronger as one

Newt
01-07-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm really glad to be here. I have dealt with generalized anxiety for over 10 years now. Have received consulting and take meds to help cushion. Found this today as I'm struggling right now with being overwhelmed by things to get ready for a party and am just letting some things out. Hope to make some good friends here.

fixmybrokenmind
01-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Hello Newt and welcome! Take some deep breaths and have fun, you'll get through it :)

Malone
01-08-2017, 03:08 PM
Hi Newt, I joined a few days ago - I hope it works for you coming to this forum. I have to admit it seems a lot quieter than I thought it might be. (Thanks to those concerned regarding the one or two responses to my activity btw!)

Can you give any more details about what is overwhelming you? How did the party go?

gypsylee
01-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Hi Newt, I joined a few days ago - I hope it works for you coming to this forum. I have to admit it seems a lot quieter than I thought it might be.

Yeah that's because I've been busy being driven insane by my ex-husband. Don't worry though I'll be back (probably worse than ever lol).

Kirk
01-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the forum. All of us get overwhelmed at times, so you are not alone feeling this way.

Newt
01-18-2017, 06:07 AM
Thanks for all the responses everybody. The party went well as I knew in my head it would. Everybody had fun. My highest level of anxiety comes in the morning as I face all the things to do in the day. That's not to say I have high levels of it every morning, but that's when I'm most prone. There is something about the waiting and anticipation of getting to my tasks and having them all float about my head that causes an overwhelming feeling. I tried to do lists, but that often makes me feel I can't stray from the list and I fail if I don't finish them. It's nuts when you recognize your stress points and know how the feelings come, but the brain goes on autopilot.

Newt
01-18-2017, 07:47 AM
I have a particular anxiety vexing me right now which I often deal with. Last night, I bought tickets (one was free) for my daughter and I to see a movie for tonight, which is a school/work night when we usually don't see movies. I felt no anxiety about doing this last night as I generally am pretty laid back and easy in the evening. But this morning, when I tend to have more anxiety, I'm worrying about going to this movie because I feel like I should be doing a) something productive or b) excercising since I haven't lately. This is my point of anxiety. It is difficult to let these points A and B go, so I can simply go enjoy a movie, which is not the norm, with my daughter. Can I do something productive the next night? Of course. I have nothing urgent I need to attend to, I just have this compulsion to do something productive around the house. I've been sick with repeating colds for awhile and I'm used to excercising, so I feel bad that I haven't been able to. But one flippin' night won't hurt, but now I'm trying to figure out if I can get in a quick workout before we go to the movies, and that makes me anxious because I'm trying to overplan my evening. What I would like is for my brain to simply accept and enjoy the fact that I'm spending time with my daughter tonight, who will be going to college in a couple of years, and that be the end of my thinking/pondering/pontificating.

The good news is as this day goes on and I get into work and start being productive, I expect these worries and over-thinking to subside. But I thought it might be helpful to capture this very moment which I've experienced before and document it. There are other things mixed in with all this morning anxiety today, but this is in my head now. I started having a panic issue driving this morning which was scary.