PDA

View Full Version : Debilitating Brain Fog

anxietylife
01-02-2017, 03:35 PM
I'm in need of some advice in dealing with severe brain fog related to anxiety. I've seen my doctor numerous times about this issue and I'm finally getting referred to a psychiatrist, but I still want to see if anyone has found any affective treatments for this issue. I'm diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, but my anxiety is largely related to social situations. I usually get anxious about what others are thinking of me and obsess over perceived mistakes I make in social situations. Also, while talking with someone sometime things feel dream-like or unreal which I've read may be a symptom of anxiety called derealization or depersonalization. This anxiety has resulted in an intolerable brain fog that frustrates me to no end.

My biggest problem is that in social situations, my mind goes blank. I grasp for thoughts and ideas, something to say in response, but fail to come up with anything. Usually I'll just laugh at a comment because I cannot think of a response. In a small group I usually remain quiet at the table because I can't think of things to add to a conversation. This makes it hard for me to get excited about going to social events because I feel like I'm not able to have a decent conversation. Not only that, when I do have something to say, I usually mess up in some way like use an incorrect word or name or just have a response that isn't more than a few syllables. It's almost like I can't think clearly once I have started talking.

Another problem, likely related to the first, is that my ability to concentrate and remember things is terrible. I cannot enjoy a book or watch a tv show/movie without my mind wandering elsewhere. As a result, I usually have to reread pages or rewind a show to follow along. And when people are talking about a show or movie I struggle to remember characters and events that took place. Again, this makes it difficult to have a conversation with someone. It's come to the point where I sometimes don't feel like watching shows or reading books that I might like because I feel like I'll just end up forgetting what happens anyway and wont be able to discuss it with anyone.

I have tried so many things to help with this its not even funny. I have taken vitamins and supplements(B, D, Magnesium, Gingko Biloba, L-Theanine, etc.) I've done cardio and weight lifting, CBT, cutting out sugar and low carb diets. I drink green tea and matcha by the barrel full. I do yoga and meditation (but my mind wanders a lot during practice). I'm currently on medication (Effexor 75mg and Wellbutrin 300mg). I've tried being more social like dating, going to work events and such, but every attempt ends with me feeling like I made a fool of myself, said something stupid or didn't have an engaging conversation.

I feel like it is a lost cause and I'll be stuck like this forever. It really sucks because I want to go out and make friends and have conversations and be social, but feel pretty much disabled in that department.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for someone going through such an experience? Has anyone found a way to overcome such a relentless brain fog?

fixmybrokenmind
01-02-2017, 11:14 PM
I am willing to bet the Effexor is half of your problem, brain fog is a common symptom of anti depressants. Did you experience it before?

It sounds like you are doing everything else right so the Effexor definitely stands out to me.

Is your brain fog fatigue related at all, or strictly problems concentrating?

Fashoom
01-03-2017, 01:29 AM
to me you're just describing the experience of GAD, which as you say you've been diagnosed with, with a specialty in social anxiety, heh. everyone's mind wanders during medication practice. it's been said, there's no such thing as a "good" or a "bad" meditation. just do the practice, and when your mind wanders, that's okay. it's that REALIZATION, "oh, my mind has wandered" that is the crux of the matter. and in that moment, make the choice to refocus on your meditation object and not gratify your mind by choosing to think more about the diversion. if you choose the gratification, well, you needed it. the important thing is the noticing. they call it a PRACTICE for a reason. just keep doing it. it has no side-effects, lol.

i'd say same for the CBT. if you want to be free of your anxiety demons, give it another go. i've done CBT with multiple therapists. sometimes it's been helpful, sometimes not, but neuroplasticity is real. if i'd kept up with it i'd be in a better place. we can change the way our brains work. so give it another go. you know the NEGATIVE version of self-talk works. re-read your own post. look at all the negative beliefs you have about yourself, your conviction that it's a "lost cause". so since it works, why not try the positive version, as laid out by CBT? give it another go. like meditation, it has no side-effects.

let us know how it goes for you, we're here.

anxietylife
01-03-2017, 02:02 AM
I am willing to bet the Effexor is half of your problem, brain fog is a common symptom of anti depressants. Did you experience it before?

It sounds like you are doing everything else right so the Effexor definitely stands out to me.

Is your brain fog fatigue related at all, or strictly problems concentrating?

This has been for years now. I've only been on Effexor for a few months, but was on Cipralex before this for a few years. It couls be the antidepressants I guess. But when I went off anidepressants for about a year a few years back my anxiety (and depression for that matter) get way out of hand. I'm thinking of trying Wellbutrin on its own because I've heard it has fewer side effects. But I've also read it can increase anxiety in some people. I'll definately talk with my doctor about it.

It could be fatigue related but again I think thats a side effect of SSRIs. I'm always tired throughout the day despite getting 7-8 hours of sleep regularly. And I feel mentally sluggish. I really wish I could be off antidepressants because the side effects suck. :(

jessed03
01-03-2017, 07:11 AM
If it's persistent, it's almost always caused by unresolved conflict. Emotions become too much to bear, the brain can't process them, so it zones out as a defence mechanism. Pretends it isn't there.

Reducing the intensity of the emotions is usually the best place to start. Relaxation, good sleep, positive self-talk, good diet, getting your meds right, etc. Sounds like you're working on that.

Then you have to process and resolve the conflict. If you have social anxiety, perhaps you have this deep desire to be liked, to fit in. Perhaps you really want a girlfriend. Perhaps you missed out on great experiences because of your anxiety. Perhaps you feel you have this talent you want to share with the world, but can't right now. You get the picture, right?

Meditation can be useful, as Fashoom mentioned. You may want to chat to a therapist or professional about it though, as there's a risk you could dig up some intense emotions that might be too much to deal with alone. You'd be surprised at what the subconscious keeps stored away.

aml0017
01-03-2017, 08:33 AM
I have GAD too and I do experience depersonalization/derealization quite often. However, it comes and goes and it's not nearly as persistent or extreme as what you are describing. Mostly I just feel sort of like I'm floating away and everything seems distant, my ears buzz. In fact I'm experiencing some mild detachment right now as I type. I had a pretty rough night and morning so my mind just sort of has to relax itself somehow. My mind itself is ok and I can still focus on my work. It is somehow relaxing and not really disturbing to me, I welcome the release from the oppressive thoughts.

You may be onto something re: the antidepressants. However, there is probably still a psychological element to this as well. I think you may have learned to cope with your social anxiety etc by just retreating into your mind a lot. I have done it as well in social situations. It is a defense mechanism, much like avoidance, etc. You just check out as a way to avoid the anxiety. It is a hard habit to break. I think this will be a good thing to discuss with the psychiatrist as they would be more knowledgeable about this and also the effects of the meds.