PDA

View Full Version : smoking

porcia
10-31-2008, 05:59 AM
I was just wondering if any of you who smoke found that it would make your anxiety worse,
This used to happen to me whenever i lit up a cigarette it felt as though i was about to have a panic attack.
I quit smoking 2 wks ago (cold turkey) the withdrawl symptoms are pretty bad but i am never going back to it again.

anna_0range
10-31-2008, 08:56 AM
o0o0oh yeah. Smoking definatly contributes to anxiety!

Its a good thing you decided to quit. Not just for health reasons.

:)

zeromisfit999
11-01-2008, 11:39 PM
well... its not so much the act of smoking that gives me anxiety, if i smoke too many cigarettes throughout the day, my anxiety lets me know usually.

GetRidOfAnxiety
11-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Of course, smoking is a bad habbit for itself, i used to smoke to, but because i have seen that it used to influence my anxiety, i decided that i should quit, and i don't smoke for almost 1 year, I'm happy to see more people like me over here!

Good luck, and never get back smoking ;)

Jombie
11-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Smoking increases you heart rate, anyways, so yeah, smoking and anxiety can definitely go hand in hand. Even one cigarette can trigger an attack. I'm on the wagon right now as far as smoking goes. It's painful, but I know it's gonna benefit me in he long run.

missgsr
11-06-2008, 03:08 PM
I quit smoking the day my current episode started (10/25). I don't know if it makes a difference, but when I get anxiety, I get on a super healthy track...no sugar, caffeine, cigarettes, etc. It's been almost 2 weeks. Why stop now?

nepean19
11-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Today is 15 days for me without a smoke. I played golf yesterday, that was tough not lighting one up. So far I have not felt any better since quitting, which is a little frustrating, maybe my body is just punishing me for a bit until I can get the nicotine completely out of my body.

culljosh
11-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I always have felt fine having a cig. or two.

Though Medicinally I smoke Marijuana for
my anxiety Disorders.

So am used to smoke.

sneakygirlamy
11-19-2008, 11:04 PM
I smoke tooo and it totally affects my anxiety, sometimes I will go a day without smoking but as soon as I get away with smoking and not have anxiety I end up chain smoking until my anxiety starts fighting back it's really a miserable cycle that I go through...but I get stressed and need my cigs....but I eventually regret it .....I've quit a few times but keep going back...I actually had horrible anxiety tooo when I quit...

Stevieboy
11-20-2008, 09:30 AM
yea definitely quit. I currently smoke about a pack a day which I just can't seem to quit because of my anxiety. HOWEVER, I know that it makes my anxiety and depression 10X worse. The poisons interfere with just about any process in the body. Basically smoking can make ANY medical problem worse. But yes it definitly contributes to anxiety and stopping can be a big step towards recovering from anxiety.

Job_314
11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
In the beginning it would freak me out, since it would raise my heartrate. But later on in my treatment (when I paid less attention to my heart) it actually helped me relax.

bomont
11-24-2008, 07:11 PM
I always have felt fine having a cig. or two.

Though Medicinally I smoke Marijuana for
my anxiety Disorders.

So am used to smoke.

This will worsen your anxiety long term. I can assure you.

bomont
11-24-2008, 07:12 PM
I only smoke in the evenings as it causes me anxiety during the day.

You're not alone!