PDA

View Full Version : Millennials in the Workplace & Digital Addiction - Phones, Facebook & Social Media

Ponder
12-30-2016, 03:59 AM
I thought there was some really valid points regarding digital addictions and it's affect on people within this 15 minute presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU

This was my response:

I don't know what's saddest; the digital addiction or our current values systems. The only people that feel entitled are those that strive for more. Settle for less and discover the freedom in being unable to afford your addictions. We need to support each other, not shame and blame to impose our ideals. Alas - the source of the problem will continue to create groups and pit them against each other. Digital addiction is just one of many symptoms to a cancer that's now spread across the earth. Let's not lose sight of the bigger picture. Learn to live on less and continue with non participation in areas you know that do not work. Keep up the good work Millennials. We'd be far better off without current values systems that make the journey unnecessarily long and arduous. People of "all" ages are now awakening. You're not alone; many of us are with you!

I'd be really interested to know what others in this forum think about this discussion? If you're of Millennial (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials)age, (19-35 in 2016 (http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/25/millennials-overtake-baby-boomers/)) how did this topic make you feel? I'm sure Baby Boomers and Gen X's all have varying views. I'm 47 going on 48 (Gen X) - My wife proposes we are a rather greedy bunch that are always in need of getting more work; in order to get more things. I tend to agree.

So what do you guys think about the context and issues discussed in this vid?

RunningForHisGlory
01-01-2017, 07:59 PM
As a millennial of age 23, it baffles me a bit that I'm grouped with 19 and 35 year olds. Any 35 year old I ask does not seem to identify with this generation at all. Also, the problems in this video seem to be more and more prominent not just within the millennial generation, but worse on the younger end (mid-20s or younger, I suppose). The problems posed by this video confuse me so much, not because I don't find them to be real, but because I remember when we used floppy disks on Macintosh computers and had no relevant forms of social media. I remember evacuating for Katrina, and everyone had to figure out how in the the world to do this whole "texting" thing because the cell phone towers went to crap and texting was the only form of communication. For as a mid-20ish age millennial, I feel like our unique and specific problem is that personal communication forms and technology has changed DRASTICALLY in the past 20 years, during our critical developmental years. I don't know if other generations experienced the same thing growing up, because I'm obviously not a part of a different generation and can only identify with baby boomers so well.

I mean, I don't know how others feel about this, but I've given it some significant thought and mourn the early 2000s, because those were the most simple years for me, and I've had difficulty keeping up with "the times" when I don't even have time to get a full grasp on whatever technological movement we're in before a new one begins. I do have a smart phone, because as a young, independent woman, I think it's important to have access to the most updated resources during an emergency. But if you hand me a flip phone and told me I had to use paper and pencil for the rest of my life while writing on Lisa Frank stationary, I wouldn't shed a tear. (Well, maybe one or two due to happiness.)

Ponder
01-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Thx for the reply - much appreciated. I have to go but will for sure be back.

Edit – Back. I’ve better digested your response now and must say for you’ve got a very good handle for someone your age. Excellent points all round. You’ve given me much to think about. Thx again.

Is good to know how others think. If anyone else is reading on, please feel free to share your thoughts.

aml0017
01-03-2017, 10:18 AM
This is an interesting question. First off, I was born in 1981 which puts me right on the edge of the "millenial" generation. I don't identify with the term and in any case I think it ridiculous to group such a large cohort together and apply general characteristics to all of them. I didn't have a cell phone until I was 25 and I've had a smartphone for about 4 or 5 years now. I also grew up without a phone, computer, internet, etc but it is a daily part of my life now. It is amazing to me because I am deaf so being able to text and email instantly is a great thing for me. I don't personally use any social media, have never been on facebook or instagram or any of them because I am an introvert and very private. So I wouldn't want to go back but I'd survive. There are definitely people (of all ages) who are way too addicted to the digital universe, but to me that has less to do with their age or year of birth as with their personality, desire for connection/attention, insecurity, fomo, etc.... Technology is not good or bad in and of itself, but frankly I think we'd all adjust just fine if it was all taken away tomorrow.