PDA

View Full Version : Share your tips to overcome anxiety on the roads

Emmzee
12-28-2016, 11:53 AM
I want to start this thread so people can share anything they used to came over their anxiety while driving on the highways.
On and off, I feel some anxiety while driving on the highway but nothing as debilitating as now. I have not even gotten on the highway in some time, which ofcourse makes me very limited in my social life. I have been to a psychiatrist but he had to take me off the medication due to side effects. Started therapy and still have to see how it affects. I am using some calming teas but nothing really seems to help. I want to hear from some people who have overcame their anxiety especially on the roads or some tips they used to feel better.

gypsylee
12-28-2016, 10:58 PM
Hi Emmzee :)

Yep, driving in heavy traffic is one of my favourite times for having anxiety attacks. Music is probably my most valuable tool and singing has the added benefit of forcing you to use your diaphragm to breathe. A psychologist told me to just focus on the car in front of me - which is a good idea anyway because that's the car you don't want to hit. Cars behind you are liable for any accidents even if you brake suddenly. So if I'm having one of my attacks I get in the lane I need, or the one that isn't disrupted by merging traffic, and just sit there singing and watching that car in front of me. I also remind myself that it's pretty likely someone else around me is feeling anxious as well.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

fixmybrokenmind
12-28-2016, 11:09 PM
As harsh as it sounds the best way to overcome this fear is exposure. The more you drive on the highway the less you fear it. When I began driving at a younger age I was PETRIFIED of driving. There mere thought of the roads would put me near panic attack. Over the years of driving I got more confident and it is now something I don't even bat an eyelash at. In fact I actually enjoy driving especially on the highway.

Start by driving at times when there is a lot less traffic such as the night. Avoid rush hour until you build up some confidence.

I also recommend looking into some breathing practices which you can use to refocus yourself if you get panicky while driving.

Emmzee
12-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Hi Emmzee :)

Yep, driving in heavy traffic is one of my favourite times for having anxiety attacks. Music is probably my most valuable tool and singing has the added benefit of forcing you to use your diaphragm to breathe. A psychologist told me to just focus on the car in front of me - which is a good idea anyway because that's the car you don't want to hit. Cars behind you are liable for any accidents even if you brake suddenly. So if I'm having one of my attacks I get in the lane I need, or the one that isn't disrupted by merging traffic, and just sit there singing and watching that car in front of me. I also remind myself that it's pretty likely someone else around me is feeling anxious as well.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

My therapist has also advised to sing as it helps with breathing and distracts from billions of thoughts rushing through my brain. I would take your advise of focusing on the front car as I do worry about cars on the left and right.

Emmzee
12-29-2016, 11:55 AM
As harsh as it sounds the best way to overcome this fear is exposure. The more you drive on the highway the less you fear it. When I began driving at a younger age I was PETRIFIED of driving. There mere thought of the roads would put me near panic attack. Over the years of driving I got more confident and it is now something I don't even bat an eyelash at. In fact I actually enjoy driving especially on the highway.

Start by driving at times when there is a lot less traffic such as the night. Avoid rush hour until you build up some confidence.

I also recommend looking into some breathing practices which you can use to refocus yourself if you get panicky while driving.
Thats the things. Just few months ago (or may be a year ago), I particularly enjoyed driving on the highways and then suddently two panic attacks have intensified my anxiety about even getting on the highway. I try to do some exposure as just driving for atleast an exit but I never know when my heart is going to race or my hands will start shaking. I do try to drive on less rushy hours but living in one of the most metroplous cities, there is hardly any time with less traffic on the highways.

MainerMikeBrown
12-29-2016, 02:17 PM
A few years ago, I would sometimes get somewhat nervous while driving on the highway if the highway I was on was on a hill and there was just a small guardrail to protect me if I went of the road. I had this problem for about six months, although it was never severe.

But then that fear went away, and I don't know why.

Hopefully it won't come back.