PDA

View Full Version : 7 Things You Should Know If Your Partner Has Anxiet

diaz2121
12-05-2016, 04:37 PM
1. If you’re going to go to battle, know what you’re fighting against.

Anxiety is a battle between your mind and your mind, literally. And sometimes the battle can get heinous, especially when it steps outside of your mind and into your body as a panic attack. Anxiety and panic attacks do get better with time, but it is a condition that your partner lives with forever. Loving someone with anxiety can be difficult. You need to look within yourself and determine if this is something you are capable of doing. Don’t feel ashamed if you can’t, either. There are some things that people simply cannot handle.

2. Sometimes there is nothing you can do, and you have to accept this.

Once a panic attack begins, there is nothing you can do to stop it. It has to run its course. With anxiety, there are ways to stop it, but again, sometimes your partner just has a bad day and can’t reach their methods and thought-stopping processes in time. I would encourage you to be supportive, patient, and loving during these episodes. Often times, people with anxiety can recognize when their thoughts are going dark, but at the same time, they may not be able to pull themselves out of it before the point of no return. Do not become frustrated because you cannot help. You help us the most by just being there.

3. Learn everything you can about your partner’s condition.

I cannot emphasize this enough. You will have a difficult time communicating with your partner if you cannot understand what anxiety is or what it feels like. Look up people talking about it, for example. Read everything you can about the condition. And even so, some people end up in counseling themselves to try to understand how to help themselves deal with their partner’s anxiety. If you make the effort to understand, your partner will appreciate it more than you know.

4. The worst thing you can do is shame us about our anxiety.

There isn’t a more horrible feeling in the world than someone telling us to “just get over it” or to “just relax.” These statements show a blatant misunderstanding of the nature of anxiety. Believe me, if it was that simple, we would have done it already. We know our anxiety makes everyone around us feel upset or frustrated about it, but if we could help it, we would. Would you tell a depressed person to just stop being sad?

5. We know how much of a burden our anxiety is, and we do not need a reminder.

This is not to say that you can never express frustration or anger about your partner’s anxiety, but there is a way to say it nicely and in as much of a loving way as possible. If you say it in a negative way, then you’ve triggered or increased the ever-present worries. Sometimes, in the moment, things slip out or aren’t meant to be said. But these are extremely damaging to us, like getting kicked when you’re down. If you want to speak about it, be as gentle as you can. And no, tough love doesn’t feel like love to us.

6. Having a backup plan will make your partner feel a little easier when out in public.

Anxiety and panic attacks wait for no one. These things can happen in public. Anxiety attacks when it wants and where it wants. What happens if you’re on a double date, for example, and your partner suddenly has an anxiety attack? Develop plans with your partner about what to do when these situations happen, like having a signal or key word to indicate that things are heading downhill, and an escape plan to get out of there just in case. This way, we don’t have to have anxiety about our anxiety, which can lead to said anxiety, if you followed me there.

7. Do not speak about your partner’s anxiety unless explicitly given permission to do so.

Mental illness is still very much stigmatized in our culture. We are seen as crazy nuts, or people who just let their mind run wild and don’t bother to control it. One of the more interesting judgments that have been passed upon me is that I have no reason to have anxiety, since I have a roof over my head and clothes to wear. I lack nothing, what is there to worry about?

Mental illness does not discriminate. The last thing I want is for your family and friends to pass judgment or alter their opinion of me because you told them about my anxiety, the exception being when it’s highly visible, such as a panic attack.

BlessedBackyard
12-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Numbers 2, 6, and 7 have been so important for me and my husband. He's a "fixer" and it drove him nuts for awhile that there wasn't much he could do. He's had to learn to be patient and understanding, sometimes just sitting with me, instead of actively fixing the problem.

We have to have a back-up plan with all plans. I need to know I have options instead of ending up with anxiety because of the pressure to do something. And I really appreciate that he asks me what he can say to others. I'm fine with most people knowing that I have anxiety, but it didn't start that way.

If there was a number 8 -- Listen to your partner. It's great to read what others say about anxiety, but know that everyone is different. There will be different triggers, different coping mechanisms, different physical/mental sensations. So don't assume you know anything just because you read it.

MSNURSE
12-07-2016, 11:05 AM
I should show this to my husband. Very true.

aml0017
12-07-2016, 01:20 PM
Very well put! Currently I live alone with my dog and cat so they are very understanding and forgiving lol. However to have a partner there who truly wants to support you and be there for you is a great advantage. Number 4 and 7 are the worst - like we don't feel horrible enough already. However, I have learned to respond differently to people who are just frustrated and have good intentions to try to help, however misguided, and people who just are just outright shaming me. The former can be open to understanding, the latter refuse to even try. Everyone makes some mistakes and I need all the support I can get. As for the ones who don't attempt to understand, I need people like that like I need a hole in the head.

Teafrenzy
12-07-2016, 08:18 PM
Ironically, I think anxiety makes me a better person. I hate the way my head feels. But as a partner I would be more sensitive, kind, thoughtful, do more housework, take better care of myself and (we are all adults here), I get way more frisky.

I have a really good friend who's girlfriend has terrible anxiety or perhaps a more serious condition. She takes it out on him. Constantly accuses him of cheating on her. Calls him obsessively (once texted him 70 times in one morning demanding to know where he had been the night before) has physically assaulted him in public, got angry at me as his friend (I'm male..not female).

I told him, if your partner has anxiety it is no reason to leave them IF they are getting help for it. But if they refuse to admit they have a problem, it is time to leave.