PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Alcohol.

tirediron
10-23-2016, 04:18 PM
With the issues I've had lately, I noticed a direct correlation to my moods and alcohol consumption. I don't drink all that much, but I do like a good beer. Because of my financial situation, I have cut waaaaay back on buying, (and drinking), alcohol. I've always known alcohol was a depressant, but what I had never noticed is its' effects on me. If I drink even one in the evening, the next day the anxiety is worse. I had 2 beers last night at a little family get together, and have been in a worried state most of the day. So until all my issues subside, I guess I'll be on the wagon. It only makes sense.

Teafrenzy
10-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Yeah the three "food-drugs" you must avoid to recover from anxiety are caffeine, alcohol and excessive sugar (sweets).

fixmybrokenmind
10-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Yup alcohol really spikes my anxiety. Some people get trapped in a vicious cycle of drinking to hide it. I try to only drink on special occasions but when I do I like to supplement with magnesium and 5htp before bed to try and feed my brain a bit

NoMorePanickingNow
11-19-2016, 07:25 PM
I guess I'll be on the wagon. It only makes sense.

Best thing I've done while I was in the deepest hole. I found caffeine and alcohol allowed my mind to run too much. I went off the wagon for half a year in 2001. So much has changed since but even up to today, I'm aware of what happens when I refer to alcohol in situations and these days, my integrity to myself always wins over alcohol. All the best to you on this.

Teafrenzy
11-19-2016, 09:38 PM
I wonder if I ever will be able to drink alcohol again. I used to enjoy a nice beer every now and then.

I had some sweets tonight. Got a free bag of Lindors and decided it has been 2 weeks and this was worth it. I felt really good after consuming the bag for like 5 minutes, then my anxiety spiked. I remember thinking this is stupid of me.

I read lots of stats of anxiety disorder recovery. I wonder if the stats include recovery INCLUDING caffeine, sweets and alcohol.

aml0017
11-28-2016, 06:57 PM
After 20 years of anxiety I am just now learning that alcohol and anxiety don't mix. I've never been a big drinker and never really keep alcohol in my house. If I drank, it was a social thing, out with friends, so I was usually in a pretty good mood already so the alcohol didn't affect me too much.

Lately I had been trying out some new wines and beers I had never tried before so I had been getting into the habit of having a couple beers or a glass of wine with my dinner a couple nights a week. As long as my anxiety was low it was fine. Then I had an anxiety attack and some bad anxiety for a few days. I had some wine in the fridge so I was like whatever I'll have a glass to calm me down. I had 3 glasses and got pretty relaxed and passed out about 9 pm.

The next morning i had that full on yucky morning feeling, and was just on edge all day.. So of course that night I thought I'll have some more wine.... And the cycle continued for about 4 days. I never drink that often and I felt more anxious than ever. I just nipped it in the bud but I can see how it could a become a vicious cycle, you're just so desperate to relax alcohol just seems an east way to get there.

Ponder
11-28-2016, 07:46 PM
What Alcohol Actually Does to Your Brain and Body (http://lifehacker.com/5684996/what-alcohol-actually-does-to-your-brain-and-body)

Kirk
11-28-2016, 08:00 PM
According to the National Cancer Institute, alcohol can increase the risk of cancer in certain individuals.

kkleco
11-28-2016, 08:36 PM
I have noticed that I get HIGH anxiety the next day if I have drank..... and yeah it does spike anxiety
I decided to have beer tonight and opened this thread
I don't want to give up drinking to recover but it looks like I might have to
help..

gypsylee
11-28-2016, 10:51 PM
I've had to give it up (though I fall off the wagon now and then). It's a bit of a nightmare to be honest because I LOVE having a beer or some wine but I'm one of those who can't stop at a few and it gets messy very quickly. Also, alcohol is a big part of Australian culture so you have to become a bit of a hermit unless you're VERY strong-willed. My anxiety is definitely better overall but times like right now (5pm on a sunny afternoon) I would kill for a beer. I also live in a very popular tourist area south of Melbourne on the beach, so the atmosphere gets very "festive" at this time of year. So yeah it's not easy at all for some of us.

Anne1221
11-29-2016, 06:42 PM
I have a saying and it is anything you can't do in moderation, don't do it at all. Don't let something outside of yourself have more control over you than you over it.

I read something that stuck with me about alcohol, written by a former alcoholic: "Alcohol takes and takes and takes and gives nothing back."

I also read one guy who posted: "My best day as an alcoholic was worse than my worst day sober."

gypsylee
11-29-2016, 09:12 PM
I have a saying and it is anything you can't do in moderation, don't do it at all. Don't let something outside of yourself have more control over you than you over it.

I read something that stuck with me about alcohol, written by a former alcoholic: "Alcohol takes and takes and takes and gives nothing back."

I also read one guy who posted: "My best day as an alcoholic was worse than my worst day sober."

Yep, alcoholism is a living hell. I often see the Pancreatitis as a blessing in disguise because it forced me to get sober relatively young (late 30s). So even though I still crave a drink pretty badly sometimes I know I'm much better off.

I've read a fair bit on substance addiction and according to one doctor whose life's work has been with addicts, alcohol is actually the most powerful drug there is in terms of how many brain chemical "systems" it affects. He simplifies things a lot because brain chemistry is extremely complex, but he breaks it down into 8 systems and of those alcohol affects 5. Not even methamphetamine or heroin do that (mind you, he says meth addiction is the hardest to treat and has the most long-term effects). But yes it's one hell of a drug and most people have absolutely no idea because it's so socially acceptable.

Teafrenzy
11-29-2016, 10:23 PM
After seeing this post, I clicked on the link and assumed it would be about Alcohol being all bad for you..yada..yada.

But it says people who drink alcohol in moderation live longer. Since I have given up alcohol due to my anxiety, that is one more thing I need to worry about.

kkleco
11-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Yes I won't give up alcohol completely, I enjoy beer on the weekend... but If I drink TOO much esp on a weekday and have a lot to do, I just can't handle that-- not because of hangovers (I don't get those) but because of the anxiety.
I think you should allow yourself a day or 2 at most to drink if you really like drinking.
If not, thats ok whatever feels best for you!