PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Afraid of Space?

derp
10-14-2016, 11:48 AM
I know "you're never alone in your anxiety," but I just want some affirmation that I'm not the only one with this one. It's ridiculous considering as how through the majority of my youth and up until I started having panic attacks, I was obsessed with space stuff. I love stars, I love planets, I love the weird little facts about our planet and its delicate balance that sustains life. About ten years ago, not long after I started getting panic attacks, I was gazing up at the night sky and suddenly it dawned on me how far away the stars are. Not like "that is exactly 98 light years away" but "HOLY HELL, THAT'S FAR AWAY AND I AM SO TINY AND THE UNIVERSE IS SO HUGE AND..." you get the picture. Over time it's gotten worse to where I have trouble watching movies about space or that involve scenes where somebody leaves the earth (I'm looking at you, Man of Steel!), I can't enjoy celestial events like I used to, and even now I'm having trouble writing this without getting shaky.

Please tell me someone else is going through this.

gypsylee
10-14-2016, 06:38 PM
Hey there,

Not exactly but I used to freak out thinking about things like "where does the universe end??" I got over it by realising that the rational human mind can't comprehend some things. A bit like an ant trying to do calculus (I made up that analogy in my 20s!). So I do know where you're coming from but this planet (well the people on it) scares me a lot more than space.

Have you seen Gravity? I'm not a fan of sci-fi or movies about outer space but I really liked that one. It'd probably give you nightmares lol but I loved that it showed how dependent on this planet we really are.

Anyway, I'm sure you aren't alone with that particular fear at all.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

ponato
10-14-2016, 08:10 PM
Hey there,

Not exactly but I used to freak out thinking about things like "where does the universe end??" I got over it by realising that the rational human mind can't comprehend some things. A bit like an ant trying to do calculus (I made up that analogy in my 20s!). So I do know where you're coming from but this planet (well the people on it) scares me a lot more than space.

Have you seen Gravity? I'm not a fan of sci-fi or movies about outer space but I really liked that one. It'd probably give you nightmares lol but I loved that it showed how dependent on this planet we really are.

Anyway, I'm sure you aren't alone with that particular fear at all.

Cheers,
Gypsy x

off subject but I absolutely love your sig

Learn to Swim

gypsylee
10-14-2016, 09:38 PM
off subject but I absolutely love your sig

Learn to Swim

Tool are amazing. I only just got into them since my brother died a few years ago (he was a bass player and loved them) and they've actually helped quite a bit with my anxiety. A lot of music does but Tool in particular because the music is awesome and the lyrics are brilliant. Lateralus is written using a Fibonacci sequence (there's an explanation on YouTube) so it's more than just music in a way and I find it meditative. I play those stupid little games on Facebook like Candy Crush with the volume off, which shuts my mind up and listen to Tool. That's one of my favourite non-chemical therapies and I recommend it to anyone with anxiety (if Tool is too heavy just listen to music that calms you). Aenima was the first song that got me hooked actually.. Learn to swim indeed!

Sorry to the OP for the derailment :)

fixmybrokenmind
10-14-2016, 11:08 PM
Honestly I feel quite the opposite. Space fascinates me and soothes me.

A calm starry night makes my problems feel so insignificant.

I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason whether through the hands of the universe or god

lashattack
10-14-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm not terrified of space, but when you said "HOLY HELL, THATS FAR AWAY AND IM SO TINY" I can relate to that. When I freak out I start to think sh!t I'm in this alone in this huge world, just one little person and noone can help me! Now, I usually stop that thought when it tries to come around. I've learned that with my fears, the more I interact with them or "face them" they go away. For example, I'm scared to leave my house a lot but lately everytime my husband, or aunt, or mom go somewhere I make myself hop in the car and go too. Unless it's Walmart lol. I also have OCD, so when I have a fear with that I notice it "loses it power" so to speak, if I talk about it! Maybe you could try these methods! Good luck!

metal4life
10-15-2016, 06:01 AM
Hi Derp,

I get anxiety whenever someone talks about space,
see a video or whatever... but i find it
interesting...
I think its because everything is bigger, dangerous, powerful and endless.

Well youre not alone :D

fixmybrokenmind
10-15-2016, 10:00 AM
I'm not terrified of space, but when you said "HOLY HELL, THATS FAR AWAY AND IM SO TINY" I can relate to that. When I freak out I start to think sh!t I'm in this alone in this huge world, just one little person and noone can help me! Now, I usually stop that thought when it tries to come around. I've learned that with my fears, the more I interact with them or "face them" they go away. For example, I'm scared to leave my house a lot but lately everytime my husband, or aunt, or mom go somewhere I make myself hop in the car and go too. Unless it's Walmart lol. I also have OCD, so when I have a fear with that I notice it "loses it power" so to speak, if I talk about it! Maybe you could try these methods! Good luck!

A big part of cognitive behavioural therapy is facing your fears and realizing they don't have power over you

ponato
10-15-2016, 12:00 PM
A big part of cognitive behavioural therapy is facing your fears and realizing they don't have power over you

great line. Boy when you reach a point of realizing your fears dont have power over you many many weights are lifted. Its like being a new person. I have zero fear of death and with that fear not around its like pure freedom.

except flying. I will not get on a plane. lol Im rather attached to the ground

derp
10-15-2016, 07:15 PM
(he was a bass player and loved them)

I completely understand why a bass player would love them. In a lot of harder music genres, the bass simply does what the guitar is doing, but an octave lower. Tool is one of the groups where the bass player often diverges from the guitar player's riffs and does his own thing. It's a very classical way of composition and one that has sadly disappeared over the years from so many genres.

derp
10-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Hi Derp,

I get anxiety whenever someone talks about space,
see a video or whatever... but i find it
interesting...
I think its because everything is bigger, dangerous, powerful and endless.

Well youre not alone :D

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to hear. It makes it easier knowing I'm not the only one that has a mini freakout over facts like "if scaled to the size of a cue ball, the earth would be smoother than the cue ball even including Mount Everest". (I typed that with one hand on my chair.)

Also, about your user name... death, black, heavy, nu, or -core?

derp
10-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Not exactly but I used to freak out thinking about things like "where does the universe end??" That's actually one of the spacey questions that gives me panic believe it or not, so yeah I think you and I see eye to eye on that. Thank you for sharing that.

I LOVE that movie, but I absolutely HATED watching it! The cinematography and the symbolism in it is absolutely wonderful. The scene where she plants her feet on terra firma is an enchanting and powerful image.

...but ALL THAT SPACE!!! XD