PDA

View Full Version : How many of you exercise?

fixmybrokenmind
10-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Hey guys just wanted to know how many of you exercise regularly?

For me exercise has been a staple in maintaining my mental health over the years. Lifting weights and hiking specifically.
For the past 3 months I have had a groin injury that hardly allows any physical activity and I can totally tell my anxiety is up since then just because I am not exercising.

Such a valuable free tool I think everyone should take advantage of

ponato
10-11-2016, 12:19 PM
I agree 100%, exercise can make such a difference. I find at my age, 50, that moderate level exercise 45-60 minutes 5x per week really helps level things off for me and overall better well being. I do mine indoors on a stepper and a stationary bike, no real reason for inside, just a preference thing

fixmybrokenmind
10-11-2016, 01:12 PM
Fair enough whatever works for you! Something about nature that just lifts my spirits even further though. That being said I love lifting weights more than hiking haha

Tremor
10-11-2016, 01:58 PM
Lifting weights for me has always been an excellent stress reliever. Helps me to get rid of the daily stress and relieve muscle tension. Plus, like you, I really enjoy it. :)

Ponder
10-11-2016, 02:46 PM
I can't function without it. However, I choose not to see my physical activities as "exercise." I'm with a gym on an 18 month contract, Walk from and hour up to an hour & a half most days. When I am feeling really good, I'll even throw in a light trot. Getting plenty of sunlight at the right hours and eating well combined with a regular exercise routine is my medicine, although I am still prone to anxiety attacks when cornered in loud public places. Compared to my previous medications which thanks to exercise and a healthy lifestyle I no longer take ... I am able to continue moving freely.

I'll be 50 soon enough. :)

fixmybrokenmind
10-11-2016, 03:14 PM
That's fantastic thanks for sharing! Exercise is medication!:p

Tremor-I definitely think the biggest way to benefit is by not to think of it as exercise either. Like a kid on a playground.
You don't have to you get to.

ponato
10-11-2016, 03:18 PM
I can't function without it. However, I choose not to see my physical activities as "exercise." I'm with a gym on an 18 month contract, Walk from and hour up to an hour & a half most days. When I am feeling really good, I'll even throw in a light trot. Getting plenty of sunlight at the right hours and eating well combined with a regular exercise routine is my medicine, although I am still prone to anxiety attacks when cornered in loud public places. Compared to my previous medications which thanks to exercise and a healthy lifestyle I no longer take ... I am able to continue moving freely.

I'll be 50 soon enough. :)

this is awesome, just the remedy. Well done

ozm8ey
10-11-2016, 04:21 PM
Well I do karate and it cured me of derealization and constant panic attacks. I also go for a walk here and there but thats about it. Its hard because when you're getting constant panic attacks its really hard to get out and be with other people but you just have to do it in order to get better

bandfan
10-11-2016, 04:45 PM
65 years old...walk every day for 40 min....some yoga stretches....lug and play drums on weekends...seems to help...other times i feel weak, nauseous, and anxious no matter what....sometimes exercise seems to deplete me..I'm on all kinds of meds though.

Ponder
10-11-2016, 06:18 PM
65 years old...walk every day for 40 min....some yoga stretches....lug and play drums on weekends...seems to help...other times i feel weak, nauseous, and anxious no matter what....sometimes exercise seems to deplete me. I'm on all kinds of meds though.
.... but that's awesome your still doing something. Resting and Balance is key as we get older. Something I am quickly learning. Also, the kinder we are to our bodies during the younger and prime years, the longer and less traumatic I'm assuming our burn out phase to be :) Certainly helps to cope with whatever we are all going through.

The Intolerable Kid
10-12-2016, 08:06 AM
Hiking three quarters of a mile 7 days a week. Also lift weights.

fixmybrokenmind
10-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Awesome! Didn't realize there was a second page here haha.

Teafrenzy
10-16-2016, 12:09 AM
I have a love hate relationship with exercise. I feel better doing it. But I notice I get more severe panic attacks immediately following exercise, than I am calmer the rest of the day.

fixmybrokenmind
10-17-2016, 12:50 PM
Thats really interesting. Maybe you are pushing too hard?

Teafrenzy
10-17-2016, 08:33 PM
I don't think I am pushing myself too hard because it seems to follow regardless of how hard I work. For example, a walk in the park or a full sweat cardio on a bike machine still lead to it.

The thing is, having started exercising very regularly, I feel great. I just wonder why I still get anxiety related symptoms. I can feel NO anxiety at all and still be light headed.

Two One
10-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Exercise is easily the single best thing you can do for anxiety and depression. It helps in so many ways.

I run 7 miles a day six days a week, lift weights five days a week, and condition two days a week.

MiST
10-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Yes every day. I love it.

Ponder
10-18-2016, 01:17 PM
I pushed myself so hard with exercise, that I nearly killed myself. So it is that I am careful advocating exercise to those who suffer extreme anxiety, however yes - "exercise" "can" be used as a means to alleviate the "negative" side affects of "too" much anxiety.

Keeping active within the limits of body and supporting it with whole and natural foods certainly helps.

Exercise can also trigger bouts of rage as the body purifies ... something not commonly discussed. For the most part, this process does more good than bad, just something I feel worth noting. Rest & Recovery is as equally important. Lack R&R without an off switch is the dangerous part for those of us suffering with mental illness & or various instability.

fixmybrokenmind
10-18-2016, 08:28 PM
I have been out of the gym for over a month due to an injury and in this time my physical anxiety (not mental) has been much worse. I finally got back to the gym for 2 light workouts on sunday and today and I can't express how much it helps for me personally.

Kirk
10-19-2016, 03:03 PM
I exercise every morning.

therealist
10-19-2016, 06:32 PM
I have to exercise or I'll really get anxiety. I still get it even with exercising, but exercise at least helps. I exercise 5-7 days a week (usually a run) and I try to lift weights once or twice a week. Additionally, I like to hike when I can (usually once every month or two because where I live right now it's not that easy to get to a hike).

Kirk
10-19-2016, 07:52 PM
In my office building, their are 14 steps downstairs to the bathroom. I go a number of times during the day, so I get additional exercise this way.

jackie10
10-20-2016, 05:31 PM
I go for walks almost every day and I regularly practice specific anxiety-reducing Yoga exercises. That works very well for me. When I can't exercise, I practice calming breathing techniques (e.g. Belly breathing, Alternate Nostril breathing).

salvator here
10-20-2016, 05:39 PM
OK I do walk up and down the staircase every day for 2 reasons. 1) its good exercise. 2) I have a phobia of elevators.. haa :)

fixmybrokenmind
10-21-2016, 01:33 AM
I have been to the gym 3x this week again finally :D. I missed it so much!